Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / [LOCKED] TGC's Marketing Mistake?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2006 21:44
It seems that whenever I come on these boards, it is filled with immaturity, bad spelling, rule breaking and ignorrance. I think i have found the reason. FPS Creator, as well as sold online, was placed in stores across the world. My opinion on this move is that it gave the community a general disadvantage in terms of IQ, age and substance as many of the people who bought it were immature, and quite young (10-15) Although some members of this age catergory are mature, as I've noticed before and can add to the community, most don't.

The showcase section of the forums for example is just a board of bad grammar and stock media, there are very rarely any projects that contain real effort and substance. Now, the reason I beleive this product's community is like this is because this age catergory who bought it from the store, would not have been able to buy it if it had been sold online. I think that the store sales were a cheap way for TGC to get money in, and in a way 'destroy' the community it would have had.

If you do disagree with this post, then fine, post your views I would like to see your response. But if I am correct in my statment then all I beleive I will receive in this topic is bad grammar, spelling and the odd "ur gay".
Michael S
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2006 22:44
I agree
Programmer of Power
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2006 23:27
I completely agree with you. Coming back to the forums after a long break, I'm dissapointed to find that many of the people are immature, lazy, and otherwise unworthy of game development at this point in their lives. I'm only 15 but I've been working studiously on my first game for many months and have spent many nights working with my partner on design and specifics.

Some of the people here need to go to a basic course on courtosy (bad spelling) and then take a long hard look at themselves working with other people online.

There my 2 cents...

"I will work harder... if you ask me enough times."
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2006 23:38
I really do think that TGC's marketing is fine, their boards in itself are a problem. The rules just aren't enforced, so their a joke. Mods are most of times absent and do not even obey the rules themselves. Some people around here should have been banned a long time ago, imo.

If a post violates the rules remove them and that doesn't happen. Also I really do think the rules aren't tight enough anyhow.

Here are some of the rules:
- Follow the netiquette rules and be a kind netizenHardly anyone around here keeps that one.....
- Posts made for the purpose of putting down another forum member or their work will not be tolerated without good cause
Sure right, if that would be enforced how many people would we still see around here?

There's all kind of rules on piracy,religion, politics and so on, but that's about it, all the needed rules do miss.

It also would be a good thing to explain what proper forum behaviour is.

Bored of indoor? Add outdoor to your FPSC games!
http://megagaming.taken.to
Need music for your games? Check the above link also!
RJ is out Leave a message
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2006 23:46
No Kansas...You are very much correct. It is about time I met someone else who has dicovered a hidden truth to what is realy going on with Lee Bamber and Co. You took the words right out of my mouth when I was about to wonder myself, Why is FPSC on the shelves? There not making any money thats why. Of course thats just an "opinion". I released an early version of the game I was working on for years to show off for the sheer fun of it and these no talent no hope jerk wannabes with there recycled same game over and over and my thread got smashed so fast on the showcase I didn't even think I even made one. So it is almost pointless to give advice or give anything to these untrustworthly people..If you can call them people.

I will build your game levels for food...
Support your local plug-in's for Milkshape3D
Carmacks next engine is for the Xbox360..Noooooo
x1b
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2006 23:53 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2006 23:59
would you guys like a waawaa burger with that whine shake?

whats with the fpsc commnity in whole? the general attitude appears to be "Its my way or the cry way"

Aoneweb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2006 23:57
Maybe they should open a forum for FPSC away from this one.
I have notice that Bltz and Ibasic forums seem more mature, as these are programming forums, and don’t seem to attract as many kids.
I am trying to start a forum with this in mind, and also make it attractive to the younger programmers, who really want to do projects, and not just insult other members, with the mods turning a blind eye.

Game resource forum and arcade, click sig.
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2006 00:02
I do think most of the work these kids produce is crap. I tell them this, I then have 3 or more people moaning that I only like my own work. Well, show me some thing good, ill say its good, but iam not saying crap work is good, just to make you happy.

I agree that the forums have a lot of bad spelling. There is even leet talk, which I hate.

There are hardly any good game designers here. Just a lot of kids who really want to make a game. Non of them have had any experience in game design before, so have no idea how to produce a good game. They just copy other games, or take ideas from other games.

Aoneweb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2006 00:34
Quote: "would you guys like a waawaa burger with that whine shake?

whats with the fpsc commnity in whole? the general attitude appears to be "Its my way or the cry way""

Build it and they will come.
Just the sort of thing we are talking about, then you had to go and prove us right, didn't ya?

Game resource forum and arcade, click sig.
transient
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2006 00:54 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2006 00:57
Quote: "It seems that whenever I come on these boards, it is filled with immaturity, bad spelling, rule breaking and ignorrance. "

Bad spelling - lol. It's ignorance.

I think this gets the real problem with these forums, no spellchecker.

This post is just rank hypocrisy.

Nobody with a decent level of maturity would try to flame an entire community purely to boost there own ego. What's the point of posts like this?

FPSC has only been out a little more than a year, and that's if you include EA.

None of the whingers have made anything decent themselves anyway, except for Benjamin A's Commander Josh, but that was elsewhere.

As far as quality goes, everyone has to start somewhere. I don't think the rest of the indi scene is any great shakes in regards to quality and completed works.

Maybe you have an opus in the works that you'd like to share? Thought not.

Give me the kids over the whiney nerds any day.
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2006 01:21
So you're saying age discrimination is the way foward?

I'm 14 and quite respected so there's proof that we're not all bad...

AE

Play my Basic Trainning Level: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=72985&b=25&p=0
**Crosshair pack coming soon**
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2006 01:25
I think that the average user is a bit young. I also think that It was a good thing that TGC put this product on the shelves. It expands the companies scope of sales and when it's all said and done it boils down to numbers, anyone who does not see that is truly ignorant in the workings of the world. I agree that the MODS don't get involved in these boards as opposed to the other ones on this site, I also think that TGC should get a few more MODS to monitor these forums. Is that going to fix the problem? no it's not. this is a problem that we are always going to have. so stop complaining about it. finish your games post some updates and hopefully some of the more mature people will notice them and maybe they'll leave you some supportive feedback. Until then focus more on your glass house instead of chucking rocks at someone elses.

RF

"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
-- Winston Churchill
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2006 01:28
ROFL!!! A little late for ApF though.

Now, as for using stock media, that is expected. I am a programmer, not a modeler, should I be critisized because I can't model as well as the next guy?

We do have an issue with grammer though, I can excuse the casual mistake with spelling a/o grammer, but sometimes...
Quote: "My game cool, none cooler. My game you buy, buy now. Me really cool, me game cool too. Only 7 wuan! Buy me, buy now."

I don't know if it is the translaters, or that these people sleep durring english class, but it does need work.

The issues regarding low grade gamemakers has to do with the arrogance of these individuals; and of course, arrogance is directly attributed to child rearing. But that is besides the point, if some of these people would start up community projects, lessons can be learned, I have been here for a very long time and I don't know everything about FPSC, I am strong in scripting, getting strong in sorce modding, but there is a lot more to learn... much more.

Oh yeah, by the way...
ur gay

We all have our inner noob.
Join the NJL: We have MORE fun!
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "would not have been able to buy it if it had been sold online. I think that the store sales were a cheap way for TGC to get money in, and in a way 'destroy' the community it would have had.
"

Lol, this has got to be one of the most absurd things I've ever heard on this board. I think this was EXACTLY the intention, giving it greater exposure.

It's called good business sense.

Yeah, let's all ask TGC to stop selling their software to kids, God forbid anyone should have some fun with FPSC , video games should be restricted to mature adults, right...sheesh.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My FPSC stuff at http://hyrumark.zftp.com/FPSC/hyrumarkfpsc.htm
Emanuel
Years of Service
User Offline
As a brand new member here the 1 thing I noticed right off the bat is their is alot of hatred in alot of posts. "Your a kid" "ur gay" things of that nature.

I dont have a problem with spelling mistakes on the site but from a marketing standpoint I think a more strict policy of courtesy on the boards would go alot further in improving the experience here. Asking a stupid question doesnt warrant a "ur gay". Alternatively creating a constructive thread like this doesnt warrant the person being called a whiner and being attacked. I commend the original poster for being so constructive and even caring to try to improve the community with some positive thinking.
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2006 02:39
Only people 18+ may play computer games

Programmer of Power
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2006 04:09
I don't think that's what he meant...

When I go into a store and look at the computer software, I look for things I will enjoy, but I stay mature about it when asking questions and such. After reading through this post again, I have to think that we were all new at some point in time and considered newbies. I still consider myself a newbie in many areas. The problem right now is that the newbies are flooding the veterans. They aren't used to using the search button before they search, or reading the manual. I almost never read the manual (except for FPSC) to a program. I think that the ones that have no potential will eventually drop out once they figure out we won't do everything for them, and the strong persistant ones will become vets helping the new crowd.

"I will work harder... if you ask me enough times."
Kansas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2006 04:27 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2006 04:29
Quote: "Lol, this has got to be one of the most absurd things I've ever heard on this board. I think this was EXACTLY the intention, giving it greater exposure.

It's called good business sense.

Yeah, let's all ask TGC to stop selling their software to kids, God forbid anyone should have some fun with FPSC , video games should be restricted to mature adults, right...sheesh.
"

I see what you mean, but you have to agree that these boards either aren't controlled well or there are few mature members here. Kids should be able to use it too, but they shouldn't just come here and not read the rules, I expect this is something a 'mature' adult wouldn't do.
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2006 04:35
I'm leaving now.

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2006 04:36
Again my point was proven again . Kansas have a nice day.

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2006 05:01
Have you seen a mature adult read the EULA? ToS? ToU? LA? Well, they DEFINATLY won't read the AUP.

Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2006 11:08
Age is not the problem in these boards, I have taught many a younger coder who was most curtious and I would never have guessed their actual age. The same case is on the FPSC boards. True the rules arnt enforced, but ifthey were we would be looking at a massive loss of users here. Could you hack the Mods being as ruthless as they would need to be to get these boards to a decent state. The only other examples I have seen of the mods handing out justice have often just been met with retaliation from other users. As a result, even the mods say they don't like working on here. It's just far too much bother to do for free when all you get is greif.

Really Id like to see a thread made by a FPSC user on these boards asking the mods to take charge. If they can see that you guys actually want modding properly then maybe they would do it. this would also require you to stick up for the mods if they get slagged off.

Now this is just my opinion so don't shoot the messenger, but if it sounds reasonable then go for it. I'd love to see this place become as enjoyable to use as any of the other boards on these forums.

M.I.A is pending
soapyfish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2006 11:13 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2006 11:17
*agrees with Baggers*

To be brutally honest the FPSC boards are, for want of a better word, a joke to some (and I stress the word some) members of the community who spend their time on other boards. I think there's great potential here, it's just a matter of getting rid of all the turd.

I AM A MORON
and won't change my sig until I get off my oversized behind and finish a project.
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 3rd Apr 2006 16:39
I read this thread through with great interest. Did you notice that it did'nt get off track? More than 23 responses and still on the original topic....someone hit a nerve.

I have to agree that the MODS need to take more interest/control in this forum. I have been looking through the other forums on the site and I notice much more MOD activity in some of the them.

I realize that they may be more interested in the others and that this one may be much harder to control due to it's age base, but it needs to be done none-the-less.

If that means more MODS or more work for the existing MODS, then that should be done. If you can't control who, then you must control how.

This problem will not fix itself and if not fixed soon, will drive some good people from here and eventually ruin this forum.

Crazy Grandpa
Whirlwind
Years of Service
User Offline
FPSC is a great way for kids to get into making games. The perspective game maker can start off with FPSC and grow into DBPro. I think the method TGC has used is quite ingenious - release the source for FPSC with DBPro so those who want more can have it.

Not everyone has English as a primary language. Never mistake immaturity with the ability to spell. The best approach is not to take offense at everything and just ignore stuff you don't like.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2006 17:30 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2006 17:30
Quote: "It seems that whenever I come on these boards, it is filled with immaturity, bad spelling, rule breaking and ignorrance."

Apart from rule breaking I see no problem. That's just how they are. Disliking people because they can't spell very well is both childish and snobbish. As for immaturity, that is natural at younger ages(there is a reason for it being called immaturity). One thing I dislike in a person is hypocrisy, so spellcheck your post before you complain about someone else's spelling.

Quote: "My opinion on this move is that it gave the community a general disadvantage in terms of IQ, age and substance as many of the people who bought it were immature, and quite young"

My opinion, is that it has helped populate this community.

Quote: "there are very rarely any projects that contain real effort and substance"

Well what do you expect from them? They aren't professionals. They are (mostly) kids just having some fun. I don't see why they have to work extra long and hard to create something exceptional. It's just not necessary. If they enjoy what they are doing then let them do it. If you don't like that, then go somewhere else.

Tempest - P2P UDP Multiplayer Plugin (DBP/DBCe) - 71%
Download the free version
imothep85
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2006 17:54
agrees with Benjamin, i think if the community of developper push the FPSC engine (more faster MORE MORE POWERULL )and adding updates and corrections in this engine the futures creations will be more beautifull and more fun for ALL users of FPSC ENGINE.

Do you thinks its NORMAL to create a engine like fpsc and after you NEVER HELP the community of your users???

LOOK a LITTLE RIDICULUS EXEMPLE:

-1 its possible to make a game with LASERS GUNS???
respons: NO, in the version 1.0 (lol)

-2 Its possible to make a game with 10 entities or more in one level, in the same room???
Respons: NO, in the version 1.0 (RIDICULUS look the actual games...)

-3 Its possible to make entities working with you for rescue or other?
Respons: NO, in the version 1.0

And many more if you want....

REALLY!!!

If you WANT more projects that contain real effort and substance UPDATE YOUR ENGINE, MORE FAST, MORE FUNCTIONS, dou you think its NORMAL in a game you create level you add 3 or 4 or 8 entities ennemys and the FINAL RESUL COMPILATED ARE VERY SLOW???...

and AFTER you can SELL your engine for a best price like 100$ or
200$ if you want...

I have buy this engine im a professional 2d Artist in a post- production facilities for movies (32 olds now) all users of your engine not are stupid and young...
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2006 17:55
This type of thread is what is wrong with FPSC's forum.

I mean, you think that TGC care that some 20-somethings use their software, or do you think they care more about kids using it?

Put this way, if you can get a package that does this and actually allows kids to use it then that's the marketing strategy to make it a success. Saying that TGC only put FPSC on shelves to rob kiddies is really an offensive remark. When I first tried it, the first thing I said to Rick was that my 9-yo son would love it, and he does, it's threads like this that stop me allowing him to visit here - not sure I could keep my head if anyone had a go at him.

Frankly I tried to moderate this place, but it's un-modable - and the people causing the problems aren't little kids, it's big kids who think ÂŁ40 bought them a forum.

Van-B

Put away, those fiery biscuits!
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2006 18:06 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2006 18:07
Completely agree about the kids. All is as it should be there.

Quote: "Frankly I tried to moderate this place, but it's un-modable "

My issue was about the MODS, but.... I guess I have my answer.

Crazy Grandpa
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2006 18:24
The only mistake you guys made is thinking that FPSC is a serious product. As VanB said - FPSC is for kids to play around with after getting their good dose of Halo. Yes the forums are full of English speaking people who type like Chinese ESL students, but they'll grow out of it...somday.

P.S Benjamin is a complete wet-rag.

It's like a Megaton Cat radar, 24 hours a day.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2006 18:29
Quote: "I have to agree that the MODS need to take more interest/control in this forum. I have been looking through the other forums on the site and I notice much more MOD activity in some of the them."

Well you guys say that the mods should do more here. Fair enough - however everytime a moderator does something, it's met with stupidity form people who have no clue about how to act here. Not naming names and none of them are posting here.

There's only so much that the moderators should have to put up with - we do this to keep the forum tidy, when people start raising issue with every little thing it get's tiresome really quickly. Frankly we like to go in, find a problem, delete it, then get on with our day - if we keep getting followups then it's less trouble to just ignore FPSC and it's forum.

We're here to mod, if we're not appreciated then we go mod somewhere else, somewhere that has users who will listen, be polite, curteous. You may think that's just a negative attitude towards this place, it's not - I know how these forums work, and how they work depends on the community, not the moderators.

Van-B

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2006 18:29
My nephew is 14 and doesn't know a thing about making a game.After playing a demo I made he wanted to know where to get the software to make his own game.Old people like me are part of the past and young people like a lot of our forum members are our future.
Remember to be nice to our younger forum members.They may get to decide which nursing home we get put into.

FLA
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2006 18:51
Van B,

Thanks for your response. You make a valid point.

Quote: "I know how these forums work, and how they work depends on the community, not the moderators."

I can only imagine the time and effort it must take to MOD something like this.

Perhaps the biggest problem I see here is useless responses. One person will ask a question and get 40 responses.

15 = "Use the search button"
10 = "you stupid n00b"
6 = combinations of above
4 = same people as before repeating what someone else said
2 = "yeah"
1 = "whats for lunch?"
1 = "look, my finger fits in my nose!"
1 = "Huh?"

To me, this is whats clogging up the forum, not kids with questions. Perhaps, even if it seems to be stupid or in the wrong forum, we could just answer it or not respond at all.

Then theres the topic of going off thread and.... but I see your point. We all have to help and be more patient.

My 2 cents.

Crazy Grandpa
imothep85
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2006 18:53
You can UPDATE FPSC to a version 2.0????

you are a good team developpers, but if you want to render the people happy, UPDATE IT!!!

THE BEST BIG BUR in FPSC are THIS...
------------------------------------

Create a little room

ADD JUST 4 entities

COMPILE IT

YOU CAN SEE NOW???

the level are very very SLOW bad compilation or what??
If you see the actual games you can have 10 or 20 people in one level (like FAR CRY)and the game are ALLWAYS FAST..

Please its possible to correct THIS???
Thanks
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2006 19:09
Quote: "To me, this is whats clogging up the forum, not kids with questions. Perhaps, even if it seems to be stupid or in the wrong forum, we could just answer it or not respond at all"

I've thought this for a while. By telling someone to use the forum search feature without giving any useful information you are leaving the thread useless. This is a bad thing, as eventually when people do use the search, all they'll find is a load of threads containing advice to use the search button. In the sea of useless threads they won't be able to find what they are looking for and will be forced to create a new thread to ask.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2006 19:09
Well, you should really grab some examples of other peoples work and see how that runs, see if they run faster and see if your doing anything different that could cause a lot of slowdown - like using a massively high res entity somewhere.

I'd be very concearned if I was getting those results.

Van-B

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2006 19:32
Quote: "P.S Benjamin is a complete wet-rag."

Sorry I'm not familiar with this expression? Can some one explain it to me?

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2006 19:36
It's ok, he was talking to me.

Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2006 20:49
I can't believe that someone would blame TGC's marketing for making these forums so bad. I was quite exited when I heard it was going to sell in stores. It dosn't show that they arn't making any money at all, on the contrary, it shows the expansion and growth of TGC, which in my mind, is something to be exited about. And I must agree with Van B, to a certain extent it's threads like this that make these forums how they are, so now that I think of it, I have no clue why I'm posting, have a nice day, and... have a serbet!
-Sunflash (quite young, and offended with the descrimination he's receiving)

P.S. I saw it come out in several posts, people mad because they thought that Kansas was saying that ALL people under 15 are imature, however, if you re-read the post, I believe it says:

Quote: "many of the people who bought it were immature, and quite young (10-15) Although some members of this age catergory are mature, as I've noticed before and can add to the community, most don't."

Emphasis added.

http://tinypic.com/egv4u8.gif
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2006 20:54
Quote: "It's ok, he was talking to me."

I see, at times it's confusing having the same name.....

Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2006 21:25
I still think over half of these threads can be combined and or deleted. New people to these forums have to have their posts approved by MODS before they are posted. so my question is, are they even getting read before being approved? I am going to venture and so no not all the time considering the recent double posting in certain areas. If the current MODS say that it is just a pain in the arse to monitor these forums then TGC needs to get new ones or get more people to MOD them. I also think it is pretty bad that the MODS do not even pay that much attention to these boards just because they are unruly. I think if the MODS were to step in and actually moderate these boards over half of us would support them. Alot of us need a seriouse board to post to, I hate posting stuff that I fix or figure out on these boards because it will just get spammed. It's in your hands MODS.

"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
-- Winston Churchill
Warped Factor 9
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2006 23:36
While kids may be part of the problem, there are some of them out there that do act courteously. As for spelling; deal with it.

I mostly browse the forums and raely post, and only when someone actually needs help, or if I just can't figure something out, I will post.

Remember, try, then read the manual, try again, then post. Hope that's note too anti-social for you all.

FPSC...The ultimate sippie cup for programmers!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2006 03:38
The same issues keep creeping up though, and with good reason. People all want changes made to FPSC so they can get more out of it, changes will come but until they do the same gripes will haunt us.

I think it's a case of grin and bare it until FPSC get's some attention and there's some new functions to keep people busy.

Van-B

Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
Van B,
I like what you mods do though. Everything I have seen you guys do on these forums, I have truly supported and agreed with 100% and I too hope to be a moderator someday, but until then, you guys are doing a great job with the other forums, I really do think you guys could whip these FPSC forums into shape though,

Tom

Support your local Riker 9 Chapter.
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2006 04:46
Quote: "15 = "Use the search button"
10 = "you stupid n00b"
6 = combinations of above
4 = same people as before repeating what someone else said
2 = "yeah"
1 = "whats for lunch?"
1 = "look, my finger fits in my nose!"
1 = "Huh?""

You forgot MY ones,
Read Revial: Teh FAQ
Read Teh Tutorials de Scripting

Strange thing is, alot of the new commers have issues with reading either thread. Hell, I've seen a hundred requests for scripting tutorials. Guess what, there is a little thread but 5 posts down with ALL YOU WANT.

You know, sometimes I want to say The "Anti of" abreviation of University of Florida. "Anti of" for Man of War is War Man. (I hate english grammer words).

So yes, I will tell them to search for either thread if their question is answered in them. And I will NOT link it, if you can't search for it, then you shouldn't be asking for it. Which brings me to another point, some people decided that if I don't tell you EXACTALLY what to do, that means that you can make a new thread and ask again, or ignore my post and keep asking the same question.

I think the biggest problem is this type of behavior. Several times I have yelled at people for double threading, and this is not the unintentional double threading. I mean being too lazy to look for your old thread, or even OPEN your old thread, and then claim you never asked it before. And then dissapear when confronted with that thread, only to come back later asking the same GD question.
I'll help people who ask for it, but seriously...

imothep85, please... be quiet. I don't know if it is the translation, or on purpose, but you sound like a little kid whining while not knowing what is going on.

emanual, that was a joke, read the first post. besides, it had a wink.

Sunflash, Kansas has his wording structured so that he sudjests that most kids aren't mature.

Van B,
Quote: "Not naming names and none of them are posting here."

I am posting here.

Personally, I don't mind modding, I see that you took out Ray J's insults... and my insults at his insults... atleast I think it was this thread... But, the more annoying parts of modding is the fact that alot of time it is silent. Things like the noob slap never have a message saying "you did so in so" nore do you know who did it. So you don't learn your err. And bannment may contain brief messages that aren't allways pointing to exactally what your fault was.

I know the idea behind moderating is that the user should KNOW when he is at fault, but it is allways good to remind him when and how.

electric chihuahua
Years of Service
User Offline
I think this has turned into a great thead. Mod participation and respect of the Mods is very important.

Selling this software is the key to making FPS Creator a success. The more people who purchase it the better. No matter who says what, if it doesn't sell they won't waste time updating or improving...period. You need FPS Creator to be as popular as possible.

Have you looked at the area of the board concerning who's on line? (I cant remember where that is located) Generally it is people on the FPS Creator portion, not DBP or Cartography etc. It appears to me this board gets the most interest. That's great news.

Do a lot of noobs show up on our boards? You betcha. This is noob software. I personally have been waiting for a point and click game tool of this caliber for years. I have a game making passion but not much time (or skill) to indulge my hobbie. I get a lot of satisfaction out of software like this. Likewise this is a great platform for kids to build from. Tolerate and indulge them and they will blossom.

I'm almost done rambling. Please quit bashing TGC for a lack of updates. It is a time consuming process and they are a small company with many, many other areas that need just as much attention as FPS Creator. Things will improve. Don't expect all improvements to be free either.

Finally, I blame most of the board misspellings on fatigue and beer! Most of us are on line well after our bedtime.

Thats my two cents!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2006 09:31
Quote: "I know the idea behind moderating is that the user should KNOW when he is at fault, but it is allways good to remind him when and how."

I know what your saying, but newbie slapping people is really be done silently here. Put this way, for every newbie slap I'm practically guaranteed a complaint post or email from them, so not only do you waste time tidying up after them, you waste time responding too. It's the after-sales service that is expected from us that keeps the mods away.

At the end of the day, a moderator is not customer support and never should be - TGC pays people to deal with customers and those people are paid depending on how many customer problems they resolve. Really our job is to keep the place tidy and free from offensive and illegal material, to expect us to tack a friendly smile onto that service is asking too much.

Van-B

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2006 23:30
Quote: "free from offensive and illegal material"

And you do that real well. Mind me, I know it isn't your fault that a lot of kids here don't understand the concept of piracy. But the instant they are found out, thread lock, url deletion, possible report to ISP.

Quote: "Put this way, for every newbie slap I'm practically guaranteed a complaint post or email from them"

You can ask rich to give you guys an "General" moderator feature which will hide your name and avitar for that post... of course that probally wouldn't help that much. And depending on how Apollo is written, may not be that easy to implement.

Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2006 23:44 Edited at: 5th Apr 2006 01:42
Quote: "I know what your saying, but newbie slapping people is really be done silently here. Put this way, for every newbie slap I'm practically guaranteed a complaint post or email from them, so not only do you waste time tidying up after them, you waste time responding too. It's the after-sales service that is expected from us that keeps the mods away.

At the end of the day, a moderator is not customer support and never should be - TGC pays people to deal with customers and those people are paid depending on how many customer problems they resolve. Really our job is to keep the place tidy and free from offensive and illegal material, to expect us to tack a friendly smile onto that service is asking too much."

in regards to the first paragraph, I thought that taking on moderator status was taking on the responsibility of noob slapping and dealing with the jacked posts and "why did you do that" email.

so basically in the second para you just want the title. Your right mods are not CSR's but you do represent TGC in these forums so it's sorta in your best interest to represent them on a good manner. Nobodies asking you guys to go SS on these boards, but we are asking for more moderator intervention. and You never answered my question about approving posts before they are posted. It seems that you(moderators) don't actually review any of them you (moderators) just hit approve and thats it. There are to many posts in these forums that should have never made it out of the approve box.

-- Winston Churchill
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2006 23:50
Even though it is a bad thing to say... that is true.
I personally can vouch for 1 very bad post which said "give me a fpsc download"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 13:34:05
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 13:34:05