Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Biiiiiiig Problem with FPSC !

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2006 23:58
Hi !

i just figured out it is not possible to use dynamic lights with shader effects on. why ? I cant create a commercial quality game without shaders. and vice versa i cant create a game without dynamic lights.
Anyone who dont have this problem ? It just seems like no one ever used shaders and dynamic lights ?!?!?!?!?

thats not good...!

yeah...thats the ticket !
Lost Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2006 00:18
dont use shaders! they muck up everything!!!! they make walls invisible, mess up textures and more...

Doom,where the sanest place is behind a trigger.
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 7th Apr 2006 00:24 Edited at: 7th Apr 2006 00:24
Quote: "I cant create a commercial quality game without shaders"

Yes, were all having the same problem. If it were not for that pesky shader problem, all of our commecial quality games would be on the market by now.

It's a known issue...try to work around it.

Happy coding.

Crazy Grandpa
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2006 01:15
At least your graphics card lets you do shading.

FLA
Mr Flowerkohl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2006 14:28
work around ? Thats not possible. $%$§$&%& !!!

NIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2006 14:32
$%&*#@$!!! indeed.

DoomKing
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2006 00:44
No NIK, I believe he said "$%$§$&%& !!!", not "$%&*#@$!!!" The one you referenced is commonly used for alien invasions and/or lost limbs. Get your non-expletives straight, people!

But, on topic, it's good to know that its not just me having shader problems. What is the problem with it - is it just some random thing only 3 video cards built by Chinese katana enthusiasts high up in the Swiss Alps in exactly 12.7 gallons of a secret water/nitrogen solution support, or another of the ubiquitous unfinished features in FPSC? Or maybe just something we're all to stupid to use.

Look! A monkey!
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: MAFIA 2
Posted: 11th Apr 2006 00:57
Dynamic light is more important. Sure You can create a commercial game without shaders! To be hounest I think it looks better with only dynamic light. The biggest problem to get commercial quality with FPSC is the framerate!

Stop listening to rumors! Listen to the truth...
brummel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2006 01:04
I agree Mr Love.

Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2006 01:24
Good!!!

Lizblizz
Years of Service
User Offline
you have to have a comercial game with comercial quality? that stinks my graphis for my game are good and cool but not perfect like SH1 kind...what do you need to do for it to be commercia and ready to sell?(just wondering )

Silent Hill
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2006 01:35
If Your game is a new HL1 then I think people can take a little slow framerate. But to make it a serious game I think You need a framerate around 60fps and own media ofcourse! But a great story is always the most important!

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2006 02:26
Half Life 1 was much smaller textures at 256 colors...

Besides, how the game looks is only 1 part of the equation, Valve STILL gets sales for HL1, OF, BS, and best of all CS (Counter Strike) which was MADE off of the Half Life engine, hell, Counter Strike is still used by tens of thousands of people while better looking games, such as Enemy Territory, are almost abandoned.

We all have our inner noob.
Join the NJL: We have MORE fun!
When in doubt, blame a mod!
Lizblizz
Years of Service
User Offline
yhea true i realy liked SH1 graphics cause they spent time on it and it paid off but RE series had realistic picture like textures wich made graphics better but didnt spend that much time on it.

my story is awsome for the game has great detail on everything characters,monsters,places,history and items the game has lots of fmvs in it about 30-50 i think on each level the story is based on (what happend how it happen and why it happend)so the gamers crave the story and know lots about then the developer that made the game (me!) im pertty sure every one will like it!

its very simular to "Silent hill and Residentevil" more of SH cause all the places...ools(2 of them jr.high and elementry) hospital musem apartments stores snd a amusmentpark(fun!) it makes all sence thats why people like it.

but if you dont mind me asking whats a framerate? i heard so much about it like fpsc has 10 or like 20 only what dose it mean? if you liked the game look in showcase and search for Lucidnightmare...its locked but you can view the story or more on my site and some cool fun games included

Silent Hill
Mr Flowerkohl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2006 12:55
today, to get a commercial game done, you NEED shaders.
HL1 RE and so on are all from big companies.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2006 19:44
No you don't.Use your imagination.

FLA
Opus Games
Years of Service
User Offline
As previously posted on What makes me mad!! & what should I say?

Quote: "It can be disillusioning when something you’re excited about isn’t met with quite the same enthusiasm from others, especially if some of these guys are supposed to be working with you. To be able to critique something creative properly though you need to be able to see past the surface (in this case the graphics) as while they can play an important part in gameplay, they’re certainly not the only elements – your friends (like most people these days) sound like they are slaves to the never-ending race to have the best/most realistic graphics.

It’s not surprising really when the Publishers / Hardware Manufacturers drip feed eye candy screenshots and gloss-up the adverts that graphics have become a way many people will judge a game. Games like Ico / Shadow of Colossus demonstrate how graphics can be an integral part of the immersion whilst something like Katamari Damacy, whose visuals are largely functional, show an emphasis on core gameplay (Role of Player, Controls, Game Mechanics).

What I’m finding interesting now though, is as someone who’s been playing games for over 20 years a lot of my friends/colleagues no longer play mainstream games as much, opting instead for quirky internet games, the email Kung-Fu game was very popular at work. It’s nice to see some Indie Developers starting to get the praise they deserve to the point where last year’s critically acclaimed Indie hit “Darwinia” ended up being released via Steam!

Put aside the doubters (unless they have something constructive to say) and enjoy what you’re doing, because when you’re finished you’ll have the satisfaction of being able to sit back and say to yourself, “I did that”."

I do agree that it's unfortunate that some of FPSC's high end featues (Pixel Shaders / Dynamic Lights) can be a challenge to implement (if at all) without seriously damaging Framerate / Compatibility but in all honesty I personally feel that these limitations only further emphasize the need for inventive design. There are many successful / popular games that rely more on their design than how many polys they're pushing round the screen.

Just a thought.

Cheers, Rich.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 13:32:23
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 13:32:23