Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Bug Reports / Occasional "Failed to 'CFileBuilder::AddPckToExe'" error when compiling program

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2010 22:37
Quote: "No, that error says something a lot more generic like "Could not create EXE"."

nope, its the same error
maybe something is 'using' the exe, such as an AV or whatever, then the compiler cant delete it?
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2010 22:54 Edited at: 26th Aug 2010 03:00
This happens to me as well. It only does it when working with older projects for me it seems to. Even just copying and pasting code from an old project to a new one can cause it. Or including an old dba file in the new project. I posted my own thread about this mistakenly:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=174710&b=15

In it I have a project file and dba file that does this every time for me, but oddly it alternates between f5 not working and f4 ...

I have only been back programming for a week. I have a whole new laptop, new version of windows, and the new editor ... so it's all new here and hard for me to track. However I have the same antivirus and firewall I've had for years. So that's out. It's odd though that I have compiled hundreds of times with no error and then older projects and that project I uploaded does it every time. I have yet to have this happen with a newly created project and newly typed (not copy pasted) code.

[edit] It only does it with the new default editor and synergy editor. Codesurge compiles all my codes fine.

[edit2] See my other thread, but I just reverted back to the old editor running the unofficial patch and all my compile errors of this have went away so far.

yaten
Years of Service
User Offline
I just add both my DBP Compiler folder and my projects folder under AV exceptions and everything is good.

Example, my DBP is located here:
C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark Basic Professional Online\Compiler\

and my projects, here:
C:\Users\Yaten\Documents\Game Dev Projects\

both I included under AV exceptions, see image, i'm using AVG free ed only.

---
http://www.yaten.me

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Master Man Of Justice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2010 02:47
i miss the old compiler.

Not as many bugs, and classic.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 8th Oct 2010 03:27
Quote: "i miss the old compiler."

I don't.
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2010 00:10
You can still use the old one if you want.

Bloder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2010 22:04
Just make sure you have as little windows/tabs open as possible. That worked for me.

If I were you, I'd make a game...
Dr Doom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2011 11:24
Okay, I've examined the case because I too suffered this problem. Some ppl say that adjusting their security helped while some say it didn't help. Others claim open folders to be the cause. Well perhaps the reason the root cause has yet to be officially established is because IT IS NOT ONE THING BUT MANY. Altering security settings (AV, Firewall, DEP) did nothing for me. Yet, removing my project folder from Indexing service has solved the problem. I would definitely side with everybody here who believes it has to do with file access conflicts. I thought about it and the problem started round the time I conducted a search in my "Projects" directory (There be many source files there - a mess in fact - *sighs*). So for those of you who have tried everything and failed thus far, make sure your Indexing service isn't interfering somehow. Also make the compiler has maximum rights/privileges. I hope that's of help.

A piece of paper has six sides...
Those who cannot understand why are not ready for the TRUTH.
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2011 01:47
I recently resolved the problem by reinstalling the original download of DBPro over the top of the current installation, then installing the latest update over that. I still get the undefined parser error now and then, but it's very rare. Where before I was getting it on every compile, and only every 5th one would create something that would run.

Ratty Rat
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all,
I have been getting this problem for ages now and just wanted to add my 2 cents worth.

Firstly to reiterate the problem:
I am on Windows 7 (problem also occurred on Vista)
I am using MS Security Essentials (Problem also occurred with AVG free)
Error appears at the end of compilation "Failed to 'CFileBuilder::AddPCKToEXE'"
Occasionally an exe has been created and can be run by pressing F8 (execute last build).

Secondly a Thank you:
Thanks to all those users who posted work arounds - adding exceptions to Security Essentials seems to have fixed my problem.

So why am I posting this?
Well, I want to make a complaint about the attitude displayed by the moderator to this bug report and the subsequent discussions.
Please consider the following:
1) This error was reported/confirmed by several users
2) The error was reported occurring on systems using MS security essentials, AVG and Norton (possibly more, including search apps)
3) Some users are using Other compilers and do not get the same/similar error (IE only DBPro displays this problem).

The points I wish to make clear are:
A) Just because you cannot replicate a bug does not stop it being a bug, particularly when several users are reporting it.
B) Other applications can be blamed for an apparent bug in one application, but in order to place that blame you need sufficient evidence that the bug occurs only on systems running that other application. A blanket excuse that "Certain programs" may cause problems with your program and should be uninstalled is not acceptable, unless those programs can be shown to be rogue and are know to cause issues with other software.
C) If I experience a bug, apparently from DBPro, on systems running DBPro and MS Security essentials AND systems running DBPro and AVG AND systems running DBPro and Norton, why would I go to AVG, Norton and Microsoft and tell them their software is causing the bug?

As an occasional Linux user I am used to getting support from other users, but then the linux I use is free.
I paid for DBPro and continue to buy products for it, I would hope that the support I get, particularly to bug reports, would be more polite and considerably less confrontational.

Right, got that off my chest.

Thanks for reading,
RR

"Don`t try to engage my enthusiasm, I don`t have one"
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2012 22:03
Cheers BMacZero, I had this issue, added the compiler as you suggested and the problem vanished!

Dimension
Years of Service
User Offline
I've tried adding exceptions and closing Microsoft Security Essentials and the error is still there. The only thing that really fixes this error for me to to just make sure I modify the source code before I run the program.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 18:47:56
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 18:47:56