Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / How do i raise segments a fixed amount

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Im fairly new but i have a z axis problem. i cannot get the gantreys to raise above the ground level. is there no z axis adjustment so you can place them with the support foots on the ground and have the gantry like 1 foot high? at zero level, they clash with the ground with display errors.

can any entity or segment be raised up?
another example is the teleporter out. when its on the ground you appear UNDER IT in the level below if you have something its sitting on.
when its alone with no floor you appear inside it.
can it be raised?
Lost Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2006 00:51
- and + keys and pgup and pgdown read the manual

Doom,where the sanest place is behind a trigger.
op89x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2006 02:57
I thought Page Up and Page Down only worked for entities. Learn something new every day.

Avaric Entertainment
Team Leader/Lead Developer
gps
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2006 04:19
No, you're right op89x, the PageUp and PageDn keys do only work with entities. To change the default height of a gantry segment you'll need to edit its .fps file (Files\segments\scifi\platforms)

The line you'll need to alter is 'offy0 = -50' which puts the gantry at ground level. Try -40 for a start.

Remember to delete the corresponding .dbo file as well, so that FPSC will create a new one with the changed data.

op89x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2006 04:54
Awesome, gps.

Avaric Entertainment
Team Leader/Lead Developer
randbo
Years of Service
User Offline
yes, i did read the manual, OVER AND OVER, looking for z axis info.
i tried pgup and pgdn and such. anyways, thx for the info gps, i will try that.
randbo
Years of Service
User Offline
ok, thinking about this i have come to the impression that segments are all set at 0 height relative to the level you are on. this lines them up with other segments. now platforms like gantrys have under level footprints and such and even tho they are OVERLAYS on the floor, they still act like segments and cannot be raised directly. now, inside a prefab building they will lay above the floor like 1 inch or so and not conflict with the floor pattern. if i were to change the fps file, it may not line up with the floor when i actually use a gantry as an overhead walkway.

however, mebbe i can create a new set of gantrys with raised z.
btw fps, you said change the y coords and not the z coords.
the z coord is set at 0. how come y and not z?
also, can i copy and rename the gantry fps, bmp and bin file?
you said that deleting the dbo file will cause fps to create a new one, thats easy to see with the bmp and fps files as they are obvious.
what abot the bin file. does it need to be modified too?
you know, if this means going into dbpro to do stuff, i wont mind, i am in this for the long haul anyways.
randbo
Years of Service
User Offline
well, gps got it right! you change the offy and it will change the z axis.
here is what i did:
copied Maintenance Gantry Straight.fps .bmp .bin to a temp directory (three files)
then i renamed them to Maintenance Gantry Straight Up.fps and so on.
then i changed offy0 from -50 to -30
ALSO offy1 from -50 to -30
ALSO offy2 from -50 to -30
those next 2 cover the railings.
then i saved the new file and then copied them back to the scifi directory.
and viola! new gantries called Maintenance Gantry Straight UP that SIT on the ground, not IN it.
raising it 20 sets the underpinnings on the ground.
now i need an access ramp to my new gantries. haha. i will figure that one out.

as a final test, i created a new one called ~Straight1.fps and i raised offy from -50 to -49.
that one is 1 inch off the ground and will not cause a graphics clash with the ground. not sure if i will need that as it appears that gantries are designed to be made directly up one level and they are flush with the walkway on that level.

anyways, i will have a use for a low gantry AND i know how to create new segments by modifying existing ones!!
You all now know this too. ahahha
thanks again gps for the correct info.
randbo
Years of Service
User Offline
ok some more thoughts. first up, the axis numbers accepts decimal points.
very handy.

i took the Sloped Metal ramp 1.fps and modified offy0 from -50 to -60.5 and saved it as Sloped metal Ramp 1 Up.fps of course i did the other 2 files too.
this new ramp lines up EXACTLY with my new Up gantries. basically i lowered it 10.5 and it wont show a full square face on the ground as about half of it is underground. you will need to account for this. BUT, the interface with the ground is SEAMLESS so you can put a metal texture floor under the ramp and it will look fine.

also, just to nitpick, since i now know that axis numbers can be decimals, the EXACT proper height of the Up gantries should be -32.5 instead of -33. ahh, heck, i guess i should go back and change mine, ahaha
btw, that would put the offy on the ramp 1 Up at -60
randbo
Years of Service
User Offline
ok one last thought.
everything looks fine. the ramp matches exactly with the gantries and they now sit exactly on the ground. one problem left:
when you come out of a test level, the library window loses the names of these new segments i created. i dont know why this happens. its a minor point as i can always get more from the segments library instead of picking up from the currently used window.
also, the corner gantries have no supports for 2 of the railings on that corner. that was always there in the original piece so mebbe i can make something later to fix that.

whats up with the x key in the test? it turns on some turbo speed mode that makes you fly thru the level superfast and i cannot turn it off.
randbo
Years of Service
User Offline
sheesh, i finally was able to read all of this. what a mess!!

ok here are the final numbers.
on the maintenance gantries the offy is set at -32.5 in all modules that have offy. some have one, some have 2, some have 3, some have 4. the extra modules are for the railings. those need to be raised too.
so you raise them from -50 to -32.5. that puts maintenance gantry EXACTLY on the floor.

i used the sloped metal ramp and LOWERED it from -50 to -60 on offy.
that EXACTLY matches the raised gantries and gives you an entry to them.
you can use the hollow metal floor under the metal ramp as a nice effect. it looks cool.

raised metal gantries are useful in tunnels and underground construction sites where the ground is real uneven and you use the gantries as floor level walkways.

for modifying ONE segment, in a Nutshell:

1. copy Maintenance Gantry Straight.fps, Maintenance Gantry Straight.bin, Maintenance Gantry Straight.bmp into a temp directory.

2. rename them to Maintenance Gantry Straight Up.fps .bin .bmp

3. edit Up.fps and change offy0 from -50 to -32.5, change offy1 from -50 to -32.5, change offy2 from -50 to -32.5.

4. save file and copy or move all 3 of them back into the segments\scifi\platforms directory.

5. run fps and make a quickie level that uses the new segment, it will be found in the scifi platforms directory with the name Maintenance Gantry Straight Up. use it on your level.

6. do a test level to see it AND to make the game engine CREATE the file Maintenance Gantry Straight UP.dbo
running the test creates the .dbo file

7. for further edits, you only need to change the .fps file and DELETE the .dbo file.

8. DO NOT change the file while fps is running. RESTART fps to see your changes to the file.

addendum: i added all 5 pieces of the maintenance gantry this way, the cross, corner, deadend, straight, and t-junction. i then made the changes to Sloped Metal Ramp 1 by dropping offy from -50 to -60.

i know this is verbose, but these are exact instructions on what i did. good luck all!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 13:29:29
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 13:29:29