Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / ODE Physics and DarkPHYSICS

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2006 17:35
Hi!

When upgrade 6 is out, will we still be able to use ODE Physics, rather than paying for DarkPHYSICS?

Thanks,
Martin

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2006 17:50
This has been asked before (and covered in the newsletters), but the answer is yes, U6 has no impact on ODE support at all.

Bite my shiny metal ass
bosskeith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2006 17:54 Edited at: 19th Apr 2006 17:55
from what i recall the functionality for ode will still be there,

...BUT...

From my experience with DBPro wrapper for ODE there is a lot of necessities missing from ode to make it a truly functional physics engine. I love ODE and it is great for simple projects that utilize non limbed non animated objects...such as bowling.

comparing the two physics engines is like comparing apples and large wet fish.

...oops sorry richard lol see you already answered while i was wording mine lol

if you want serious funtional physics definitely get darkphysics...if you are going to program "weebles that wobble and dont fall down" then utilize ode

Ink all over the screen...and dang it! Signature still does not show.
MartinS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2006 17:57
Ok. I think I'll stick with ODE for a month - to test it out, seee if it's any good. But then I'll probably get DarkPHYSICS!

Martin

Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2006 18:35
ODE is quite basic right now, hopefully.. if I finally get some time again, will be passing on the update to Mike.

I fixed all of the TriMesh stuff, added Ragdolls, and changed how some aspects work to make it easier to use (plus made it VS 2003/2005 compatible source)

This said it makes no odds what happens, becuase the free version of DarkPhysics will be powering FPSCreator after 6.0; atleast I'm sure that's what Mike told me anyways.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2006 19:18 Edited at: 19th Apr 2006 20:34
Don't mess with ODE, it basically sucks. Newton is free and very well developed. It simply wasn't integrated into FPSC because of the liscencing - in order to distribute your game, you have to put the Newton logo in the game and notify the guy who made it. But, that's VERY easy to do.

Newton has TONS of great examples, ragdolls, vehicles, etc. A great system.

DarkPhysics will be greater, but Newton is free and it certainly works.

Quote: "I fixed all of the TriMesh stuff, added Ragdolls, and changed how some aspects work to make it easier to use (plus made it VS 2003/2005 compatible source)"

That's interesting. Can you post a demo program demonstrating what you've done?

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2006 19:46
Quote: "Don't mess with ODE, it basically sucks"

Well, it would be more accurate to say that TGC's implementation of ODE sucks really, but I guess they get what you mean

For free Plug-ins and source code http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
MartinS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2006 20:02
Where can I get the free version of DarkPHYSICS?

Martin

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2006 20:13
Quote: "Where can I get the free version of DarkPHYSICS?"

There isn't one, and there will not be one. Be careful what you read on the forum, it ain't always true.

Bite my shiny metal ass
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2006 20:20
Quote: "There isn't one, and there will not be one. Be careful what you read on the forum, it ain't always true."

Mike mentioned something about a cut-down version that's integrated into DBP for the collision and basic physics commands.. Thought that was still going to happen?

Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2006 20:34
I don't recall saying that Raven but I would prefer it if whatever I mention to you on MSN about what may or may not happen does not keep appearing on the forums.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2006 20:35 Edited at: 19th Apr 2006 20:38
I'm interested in your demo, Raven. Adding ragdoll support is quite an accomplishment that I'd like to see.

Quote: "Mike mentioned something about a cut-down version that's integrated into DBP for the collision and basic physics commands.. Thought that was still going to happen?"

That doesn't even make sense. ODE was chosen because it got the job done and didn't require any additional user licensing. DarkPhysics does. Plus, since an FPSC game wouldn't showcase the capabilities, it's unlikely that it would get approved.

MartinS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2006 20:44
Quote: "Be careful what you read on the forum, it ain't always true."

Ok. I'll remember that.

Habatar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2006 21:11
Remember that ODE is included to compile the FPSC sourcecode. But you can make experiments whit that.
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2006 21:50
Quote: "Be careful what you read on the forum, it ain't always true."

Especially considering the source

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2006 22:10
I'd just like to take this opportunity to point out that, despite reading this thread earlier, I refrained from responding. I'm glad I did, it gave 2 TGC staff the chance to respond, and a handful of other people "interested" to see these accomplishments post first

I shall say no more.

Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2006 22:54
Quote: "I don't recall saying that Raven but I would prefer it if whatever I mention to you on MSN about what may or may not happen does not keep appearing on the forums."

oh, alright. well anyways s'pose it doesn't matter, newton (esp. 1.5x) is a damn sight better for now.

Quote: "I'm interested in your demo, Raven. Adding ragdoll support is quite an accomplishment that I'd like to see."

You'd be surprised how stupidly easy it is actually. I mean, if you want I can dig up an old demo I have where I made ragdoll without any physics thanks to some code that Haggis posted..

The main part of ragdoll is more how to keep limbs at the length they need to be; which is simple when you have the joint system that ODE has.

I'll see about making a demo with it sometime over the next week when I have time.

Quote: "That doesn't even make sense. ODE was chosen because it got the job done and didn't require any additional user licensing. DarkPhysics does. Plus, since an FPSC game wouldn't showcase the capabilities, it's unlikely that it would get approved."

Well, I'd say why ODE was chosen; but I'd probably be yelled at by Mike again... or get corrected one of the two.
I'm well aware it wouldn't showcase Aegis abilities; but I was under the impression that the 'free' version was going to do what ODE currently does (ie not alot) hense why it was going to be shipped.

Would've made more sense that way too tbh, then everything could be unified conserning Collision and Dynamics. Then again that's probably just my opinion on the matter.

Which is a point: I need to talk to you on MSN Mike.

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2006 01:50
Quote: "Well, I'd say why ODE was chosen; but I'd probably be yelled at by Mike again..."

You signed our NDA. Adhere to it like a professional and stop sulking.

Bite my shiny metal ass
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2006 21:21
May I ask, did Raven sign the same NDA I did for testing it? Or is there a separate one for developers? I remember seeing his address in the "To:" field.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 14:06:22
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 14:06:22