Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Concerning Plagiarism

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2006 07:42
Plagiarism is not tolerated in anyway. Now I just realized that 'creator of zombies' participated in plagiarizing a script. I realize that there is a 30% chance that people can choose the same script to edit, the same values and same animations. But 70% says that it is a direct copy.

I know that to some people who want to fit it, 'borrowing' another users script is their key to success. It isn't. If you can't explain HOW something works yet keep producing, people will look at you wrong. And discovery is a lot worse then admittance.

If people are able to ignore their conscience for copying a few simple lines, then what about models? Games? How many of you have noticed any model copying going on? I haven't, but I had to go looking for an old script to suddenly see one script that was blatantly plagiarized.

I urge this community to mark its work directly, in someway keep your work recognizable as your own. Hopefully this problem is only minuscule or non-existent, or maybe just the craziness of being here too long. I wish it to be so.

What I Noticed:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=72579&b=23 Creator of Zombies

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=59476&b=23 Conner94

I think Conner only changed a few values of a normal script, but the points I make are indeed the use of that particular animation. I think it was mentioned in only 2 threads... I haven't seen it much since. It would also put the accused at this thread in the end run.

The Perfect Copy. Even if it were originally edited, it should be made differently, small discrepancys to tell them apart due to others ways of scripting... the chances of these discrepancys are generally bigger as the script grows more complex.

Perfect Value, 5 isn't the universal melee value, there is 10, 15, 20...

Not knowing if it works, I would think a new person at scripting would run their script (I include myself as a exception, my computer was slow, running XP, and after I got a laptop that was better then my desk, I tested more often)

Now if these strike you as enough to make an acusation, then take your word to the forums, see if there is anything that is familiar out there. I gave him a 30% chance of innocence because it is plausable that one might just make the same choices as another.

A note to the Mod:
If you find it 'intimidating' of the individual at hand to be named, go ahead and blot it out. I know that people react more when names are used, and when sources are cited. My aim is not to reproach the accused for his actions, but to make the populus aware that these actions may be taking place.

We all have our inner noob. Join the NJL, and have more fun!
I believe society is flawed; our notions on life, on child rearing, stem too far back to be of relevance in this day and time.
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2006 14:44
This one of the reasons I haven't released a demo of my game or even the full game yet. It has some very unique scripts in it, which took a long time to work out and I rather not have every one else just 'steal' it.

Same goes for models and textures. I've created a number original models, have bought some models (characters) and have incorporated a number of very original textures created by others. Some of the stuff incorporated in my game is copyrighted by others and cannot just be used by anyone without permission of the original author.

Quote: "How many of you have noticed any model copying going on? "

I haven't seen it in games yet, but I don't check every game. But.... there have been a lot of modelers around offering models/model packs with stolen models. That happens often around here and I'm not suprised that people steal scripts also.

All of this worries me a lot and is holding back the release of my game, until a satisfying solution is found.

Bored of indoor? Add outdoor to your FPSC games!
http://www.aeilkema.dds.nl/mega/index.html
Need music for your games? Check the above link also!
Whirlwind
Years of Service
User Offline
Currently, your best bet is to simply buy dark basic and run a highly modified version of FPSC that encapsulates your custom scripts.
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2006 19:02
Or FPSPack, that packs it all into an EXE doesn't it?

I must say, i've been tempted to take out some of the contents of other people games to experiment with but i haven't simply because i respect the authors.
AE

Play my Basic Trainning Level: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=72985&b=25&p=0
**Crosshair pack coming soon**
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2006 23:17
It isn't just with games USING media that I am refering to, but litterally taking an old users work, such as noldor, and then posting it as their own...

@Whirlwind: or create an insane algorythm to encrypt scripts.

I believe society is flawed; our notions on life, on child rearing, stem too far back to be of relevance in this day and time.
op89x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2006 07:25
This is just horrible. I was so afraid this would happen that I haven't even released my storyline or screenshots, and now here it is. Have these people no shame, to claim something as their own when it isn't?

Avaric Entertainment
Team Leader/Lead Developer
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2006 07:31
Check out the thread about Gmax in the models and media forum.
We have sunk to a new low.

FLA
We are all noobs at something!
op89x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2006 08:26
Can you post a link?

Avaric Entertainment
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2006 09:55
op89x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2006 10:40
Yeesh, that is bad.

Avaric Entertainment
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2006 18:53 Edited at: 21st Apr 2006 20:05
What I noticed...

(1) Both of those are threads here in the forums.
Why would you post a script here if you don't want others to use it?
In other words,
If you don't want someone to "steal" your script, then don't give it to them.
That's like tossing a bum on the street your car keys and then wondering why he drove off with your car.
You asked for it because You made it public.

(2) Neither one of them wrote that script.
Look at the desc.
Chase and Shoot?
Why are both of them referring to it as a melee script and then put chase and shoot in the description?
It is obvious that this is an edited TGC script, and that neither of them were the author.
They were the script's editors.

Conner94..
Quote: "I made a melee! Ok, copy this code:"

creator of zombies...
Quote: "here is a melee script for you
;scripted by creator of zombies"

"I made..."
"scripted by"

Both of those terms could be used by a script editor in my opinion.

(3) It is possible two people could add the same couple lines to an existing script because those were the only conditions and actions neccessary to achieve the desired effect.

(4) Right and wrong are only perceptions.
Things are what they are no matter how we perceive them.
We all have TGC's permission to edit those scripts as well as posting them here in the forum.

Its all good.

Don't forget to visit Conjured Entertainment
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: MAFIA 2
Posted: 21st Apr 2006 21:50
I totally agree with Conjured Entertainment, why give away something if You dont want people to use it?
I know that You Guys are newbies, but Gmax isnt 3ds max. Gmax is freeware for christ sake, so whats the problem???

Stop listening to rumors! Listen to the truth...
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2006 00:01
Mr. Love, I have no issue about people USING scripts, just digging up old scripts and then claiming they are your own.

Yes conjured, it was modded from an FPS script, I adressed that.

code master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2006 01:40
@MR love

The problem is that you can't use it for commerical things. no duh! How many times does this need to be said?

"I don't bite her, i just slobber on her" "I remember things as well as a retarded goldfish, who just swam through the chicago river"

Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: MAFIA 2
Posted: 23rd Apr 2006 03:56
And how many has done that here?

Stop listening to rumors! Listen to the truth...
K Jah
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2006 15:30
How many people have actually made a game, put it up for sale and sold it making a proffit? I mean actually making more than what they spent on FPSC and other programs, computers, etc. Not many. And even less can claim it as their own work.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 15:30:26
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 15:30:26