Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

The 20 Line Challenge / An alternative to 20 Lines Limitation?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2006 19:24 Edited at: 24th Apr 2006 22:06
I am not here to post my 20 liner. Instead I will try to start a discussion about the 20 Line Code Challenge in general.
I believe that the 20 line limitation is a bit awkward or to put it in another way it seems fake.
All those colon signs and ridiculously long lines are very hard to read and edit.
Can't we instead put another kind of limitation like the 4K challenges of the past?
Maybe a character or word count?
I know that it doesn't feel natural to count words or characters as in a word processor but I just wanted to start a discussion and I want to hear the opinions of other forum users.
I am not sure if it is legal to post this thread here but if somebody protests I can post my own 20 liner.

"Ignorance is bliss." Cypher from the movie The Matrix
Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2006 20:02
I think the whole point of the 20 liner is its a challenge to fit your code into such a small space. Most people (the sensible ones) post an "uncompressed" version alongside the compressed one.

musty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2006 20:26 Edited at: 24th Apr 2006 22:07
Nicholas , thank you for your opinion.
But I think the code compression is only vertical and not horizontal.
I agree that the normal code part solves some of the problems that I have stated though.

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2006 09:42
Also, by pushing yourself to make your game fit into 20 'compressed' lines, you are learning about optimization techniques, getting rid of redundent lines, functionizing your code as much as possible, and just generally writing neater/better thought out code.

It is basically the same as the 64K Tech Demo scene, except isntead of working with physical space, we're working with 'line' space

( Oh, and our results pale in comparison to the Tech Demo's )

Team EOD :: All-Round Nice Guy
Want Better dbHelp Files?
http://jt0.org
theDK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2006 11:15 Edited at: 25th Apr 2006 11:15
actually I'm with musty on what he says ...

there should be a rule to limit concatination of commands per line ...

why not make it one command per line and make the line limit around 50 for example ... Such a rule will encourage the use of clever tricks to make the most use of your 50 commands rather then stuffing commands after each other.

Edit: name it the 50 commands challange if you like
Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2006 11:19 Edited at: 25th Apr 2006 11:20
There is a line limit - you can only have 20 commands per line (I think its 20... I know there is a limit).

EDIT: Yeah, its 25 lines. Its in the rules sticky thread!

coolgames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2006 16:35
That means you can use 500 commands in your 20 liner.

musty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2006 17:04
I'd like to thank you all for expressing your opinions. I think this little discusssion here, along with the rules in the sticky rules threads, will help clarify the concept of this challenge for the newcomers until we all ( or at least most of us and the moderators) agree on a better challenge.

Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2006 00:06
If you don't like the idea behind this challenge, then take a look at the DBP Challenge thread on the DBP board instead. There is no limit on the amount of code you can use there, but the main limit is that you can't use any media. It encourages you to think about the code, and not the graphics.

musty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2006 08:43 Edited at: 26th Apr 2006 08:44
Thanx Ric. I will. But I actually like the idea behind the 20 Lines Challenge. I just wanted a to start a discussion so that we can figure out ways to refine it. But if everyone is happy about the present rules then there is no problem.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 20:08:58
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 20:08:58