Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Hero and Weapon Contest Entry Thread

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2006 04:47
Zergei gets my vote... I like the whole fantast type warrior, and the sword rocks!

On a side note, how often do competitions occur? I wanted to enter a model in this one, but I had just gotten blender when this was almost over... so maybe next time

Bio Fox...four guys, one computer, games like nobody's business.
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2006 04:53
It's the contest that never ends.

The last winner sets the theme/rules, users post WIPs, enter final images/models, and vote. Repeat.
--
TAZ

"Do you think it is wise to provoke him?" "It's what I do." -- Stargate SG-1
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2006 05:02
i honestly wonder how many votes ooga`s one would have got if he didnt add those particle effects? im not saying mines any better because i agree that it doesnt exactly look like a hero, but lets be honest here it seems alot of people arent actually voting on the models here and its also interesting who the modellers vote on isnt it?, perhaps next time i should model a cube, add caustics and refraction/refraction lots of particle collisions and maybe hook it upto reactor add some motion blur and im pretty sure i would score high here.

Hallowed are the ori.
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2006 05:13
To tell the truth for the first time I like mine the best, but I can't really vote for me, I'll have to go with Zergei, as although a bit genaric, his gives me that hero feel which many of these are lacking. Greenllings is good, but just was missing... something. I can't say, but It took away from the heroism of it. Ooga Boogas reminds me kind of metriod prime, but the body looks streached and just not lively. That's another thing, While many of these are amazing, very few of them are lively enough to really feel like something I could remember.

OOOOHHHHH!!!! I just had the GREATEST COMPO IDEA EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'll tell everyone when I win a compo...

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2006 05:20
greenlig, zergei and that dude who did the roman one. ALl really damn good models. But Aussie pride My vote is for Greenlig and his smashtronic supersonic hammer viking.

Syndicate remastered: Corporate persuasion through urban violence.
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2006 14:44
Zergei gots my vote awesome manga style hero ya got there

<DeleteD> by Cloudef
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2006 14:50
Quote: "huh? i allways vote on quality, what else can we do? predict what the mesh could have looked like if someone else made it?"

What about, style, effort, progress and improvement? They all are factors that should determine your vote, quality itself isn't always a fair vote as the more experience modellers will win all of the time, quality itself is generally judged at places like CGTalk

Yey! I removed the sig...
A Llama called Dalai
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
It's called Hero and Weapon. The fire is obviously the weapon, I think its fair to have the fire effect. Anyway, the fire looks 3D even if it's particles.

Insanity Complex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2006 16:58
Quote: "i honestly wonder how many votes ooga`s one would have got if he didnt add those particle effects? im not saying mines any better because i agree that it doesnt exactly look like a hero, but lets be honest here it seems alot of people arent actually voting on the models here and its also interesting who the modellers vote on isnt it?, perhaps next time i should model a cube, add caustics and refraction/refraction lots of particle collisions and maybe hook it upto reactor add some motion blur and im pretty sure i would score high here"

I was not just voting on the fire. It looked good, and it was a tough decisionto make, there were lots of great entries. It's all preference so one can't really say why another votes for an entry, wether its right or not, etc. I really think that a person should vote either based upon what they like the best or what they see as a great improvement, I just tend to go with my own personal preference.

"Take me home, to my empty 'fridgerator"
-ICP, Take me home, about looking back after obtaining your dream.
Insanity Complex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2006 17:00
@Sepp: my home comp didn't load Zergeis entry, so I'm changing my vote to his since the voting stage isnt over.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2006 23:38 Edited at: 17th May 2006 23:38
I vote greenlig.

These contests look fun. I might enter in the next one, although I wouldn't even get a vote.

The only problem is that Anim8or doesn't export .3ds with textures, but we don't need to export the models to win, we only need screenshots, right?

EDIT: and do you have to make the textures yourself?

Uncle Sam
Nvidia Geforce 7600 GS 256MB PCIEx, 2.66 GHZ Pentium 4 proccessor, 768MB RAM
Need particles? Click here!
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2006 23:59
Quote: "EDIT: and do you have to make the textures yourself?"

Preferbly, but if its the texture that makes the huge differance to your scene it would be fair to make your own, however there is no rule as of yet covering texturing issues, so if you want to use other texture feel free to do so, unless the theme chooser, chooses to make one of the rules about textures

A Llama called Dalai
ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2006 00:08
hey zircher, long time no c

[back on topic]

i was gonna enter then my parents got in the way again.

Bahamut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2006 00:16
Quote: "Quote: "EDIT: and do you have to make the textures yourself?"

Preferbly, but if its the texture that makes the huge differance to your scene it would be fair to make your own, however there is no rule as of yet covering texturing issues, so if you want to use other texture feel free to do so, unless the theme chooser, chooses to make one of the rules about textures"

I think if another persons texture is used, it should be stated with the entry. I base my vote on many factors, texturing being one of them. The texture is part of the model, so passing off someone elses texture as your own is basically cheating. Being that it's a modelling contest, however, I don't think it should be absolutely necessary to use your own, as long as you state the source.

The rules are up to the contest creator and you (Musashi) though, so do as you see fit.

IceBound -No, really-We're quite good.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2006 00:23
Quote: "I think if another persons texture is used, it should be stated with the entry."

Fair point, I think I did say once that material that is not yours should be stated, but was not included as a rule, but thanks for reminding me of that, it will be a rule

A Llama called Dalai
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The only problem is that Anim8or doesn't export .3ds with textures, but we don't need to export the models to win, we only need screenshots, right?"

It does. Or at least it used to.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2006 01:05
Quote: "The only problem is that Anim8or doesn't export .3ds with textures, but we don't need to export the models to win, we only need screenshots, right?"

Anim8or does export with textures if I remember back to the days when I was a newb modeller, my models did load into DBC (It was DBC then for me ) as both .3ds and converted into .x files. There could be mistakes you have made (or have been mistaken in places) To avoid the texture problem, have your texture file with your scene file, (eg, wood.bmp would be in the same folder as table.an8, and when you export to .3ds, put it in the same folder) Or if its something some people mistake, the custom materials, I'm afriad they're not textures and only come up in render, unless they are texture files.

Quote: "but we don't need to export the models to win, we only need screenshots, right?"

That one always depends on the regulations of what the winner chooses for the topic, it is usually made clear what they want out of you, but most people render anyway.

A Llama called Dalai
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah I just tested Anim8or 3DS in DB Classic and they work with textures, and they also work if they are converted to X which is faster, and works better in DB Pro.

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2006 04:44
how long have we got till voting ends?

Blender3D - GIMP - WINXP - DBPro
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2006 04:52
Quote: "To avoid the texture problem, have your texture file with your scene file, (eg, wood.bmp would be in the same folder as table.an8, and when you export to .3ds, put it in the same folder)"

Well, the problem is, what if I texxture two different limbs with two different textures? Then only one texture would work, because otherwise I would have to use "texture limb" in DBPro. Copying both textures into the folder might work, but I don't know.

Uncle Sam
Nvidia Geforce 7600 GS 256MB PCIEx, 2.66 GHZ Pentium 4 proccessor, 768MB RAM
Need particles? Click here!
Heckno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2006 09:41 Edited at: 18th May 2006 17:43
edit : I was wrong, sorry for some reason I had thought the weapon must be in hand...

crapola I hate it when I am wrong.... Guess it's a good thing it only happens every other hour...
Crazy Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2006 12:40
Zergei - has that Link feel to it

The nintendo Wii. Okay...
Bahamut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2006 13:32
Quote: "Actually it was hero and weapon "in hand" so technically, Ooga, Manic, Newb and any others not holding a weapon are ineligible for votes because they didn't follow the outline of the rules for the comp..."

Oh god, don't do a conjured on us

And actually it wasn't. It was just Hero and Weapon.

@musashi: Greenlig has a point, when does voting end. I know there were extensions, so the date might have changed. I want to enter the next one if I have time, and don't want to miss the start.

IceBound -No, really-We're quite good.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2006 14:51
Quote: "how long have we got till voting ends?"

20th May

Quote: "musashi: Greenlig has a point, when does voting end. I know there were extensions, so the date might have changed. I want to enter the next one if I have time, and don't want to miss the start."

All of the contest details are in the main thread in the sticky, even when the voting ends, I keep it up to date with the current contests

A Llama called Dalai
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2006 16:32 Edited at: 18th May 2006 16:35
Quote: "Well, the problem is, what if I texxture two different limbs with two different textures? Then only one texture would work, because otherwise I would have to use "texture limb" in DBPro. Copying both textures into the folder might work, but I don't know."

I made a model with 2 different textures, and it worked eventually. That was a few years ago, and I can't remember how I did it, but I made the model in Anim8or. I may have used other things too like Lithunwrap, and Cinema 4D to fix something. But the part in Anim8or was to save each limb as seperate 3DS files with textures. Then load them back into Anim8or, and copy/Paste them onto one screen, then align them in the right positions, then export them as a 3DS again. The textures will all have to be in your correct DB folder.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2006 19:56
*********CONTEST CLOSED***********

Zergei wins by a long shot, congradulations. Everyone did really well, but its a shame only one can win...[insert queer cliched comment about you all being winners] It goes to show the highest quality models don't always win, style counts too

Votes:
Zergei - 12
Greenlig - 4
Bizar Guy - 1
Ooga Booga - 1
Ruccus - 1

*@ZERGEI* You may pick the next theme, please post it in this thread, within 5 days and I will update the contest into the new one ASAP, IF you do not reply within the 5 day limit, Myself or a random person on my MSN list or entry list will pick the next contest theme.

A Llama called Dalai
Zergei
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2006 21:44 Edited at: 20th May 2006 21:45
I was thinking about a dragon contest, but not sure if it was already done.

Further on my stuff at www.turbosquid.com
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2006 21:59
Dragon contest is fine, any rules, requirements etc? Or is it anything as a long as it is a 3D dragon?

A Llama called Dalai
The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2006 22:22
Please no poly count Anyway, nice job everyone.

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120...
Zergei
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2006 22:24
Dragon, 10k poly limit. Hope to see more types of dragons besides the winged ones or chinese one, such as earth type ones, or water based.

The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2006 22:27
Oh Dragons are like my fav thing ever. I wanted to make something insane with detail. I like to just let loose. Are you sure you cant revise that? Just a little?

Zergei
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2006 22:37
Mmmm, ok i'll give a 25k limit just because you ask so. Hope thats enough.

The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2006 22:47
Yaaaay! I'm so into this now I've already started.

(oh and the reason I'm so glad it's dragons is because my last name is Drake if anyone is wondering)

Mucky Muck Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2006 23:19
Dragons have always been my weak point, this should be a good chance to improve, im definately in.

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
~ Douglas Adams
http://masterchief54924.deviantart.com/
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2006 01:11
Awww I was gonna go crazy with detail, but 25k is do-able, I'll just use less subdivisions;

As with an polycount there should be a locus of error, something like 2k polies (2k because of the high amount) if you don't think thats reasonable, please say so ASAP before we really get started

A Llama called Dalai
Jonny Ree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2006 01:20
I always wanted these compos to result in playable models..which is why I liked the polylimit on the last compo. 25k is a waste of polygons in my opinion. Its not up to me however.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2006 01:29
Quote: "25k is a waste of polygons in my opinion. Its not up to me however."

It depends what you go on for a dragon, if you go for the simple typical dragon, then 25k is insane, but a chinese dragon or a one of those dragons in a fantasy piece, 25k looks alright, if its for a game, 25k now is understanble, even with DBP (Surely)

A Llama called Dalai
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2006 01:49
Quote: "
Zergei - 12
Greenlig - 4
Bizar Guy - 1
Ooga Booga - 1
Ruccus - 1
"

Well I guess its a tie between me, Ooga and Bizar guy. Damn though, we all got negative votes! Anyways, I feel bad for Zergei, -12! Ouch...

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2006 01:51
I may enter this, but I think I could better spend my time working on Old School.

We'll see how it goes. Making a dragon would be fun.

Bahamut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2006 01:59
Nicely done, I love dragons! I'm going to get started right away!

*Opens Blender*

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2006 02:10
Quote: "Well I guess its a tie between me, Ooga and Bizar guy. Damn though, we all got negative votes! Anyways, I feel bad for Zergei, -12! Ouch..."

Lol, well I don't need to seperate the sarcasm from the obvious

Quote: "Nicely done, I love dragons! I'm going to get started right away!"

I just realised I'm modelling your avatar, I have the feeling that we might have the same WIP

A Llama called Dalai
Bahamut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2006 02:40
Quote: "just realised I'm modelling your avatar, I have the feeling that we might have the same WIP"

Haha yeah, I was thinking of doing Bahamut, but one of the people in my band is quite a good artist, and he drew some concept art ages ago for
"album art"-I just emailed him to ask if I can use it. *crosses fingers*

Zergei
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2006 02:55
Quote: "25k is a waste of polygons in my opinion. Its not up to me however."

Yeah, i kind of feal the same about that, thats why, even if the limit is 25k, id do my dragon within 2k. I quite don't like high poly models, but well, some may like to give about more detail, thus the extremly high limits.

Benji
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2006 03:18
I vote Greenlig

My Specs: Geforce 6200 128 MB.,3.0 GHZ Pentium 4 Processer, 512 MB Ram.
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2006 06:26
lol, too late mate, zergei won already. lol, thats the third time in a ROW i've come second. lol.

At least im consistent eh?

This next one should be fun...

SMAUG!!!

Blender3D - GIMP - WINXP - DBPro
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2006 09:41
lol 25k is pretty excessive, however if thats still not enough for some people why cant you just create a normal map from your highpoly one and map it to a lower poly one? should look fairly similar as 25k is very generous.

Hallowed are the ori.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2006 13:54
I think 25k for a dragon is fine, I mean I'm already on 5k

Quote: "ol, thats the third time in a ROW i've come second. lol.

At least im consistent eh?"

You'll win eventually, your work is awesome, but strangely you never win

A Llama called Dalai
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2006 14:22
So...wheres the tie breaking vote people...

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2006 14:45
Quote: "So...wheres the tie breaking vote people..."

Quick its behind you!!!!! RUN AWAY!

A Llama called Dalai
Insanity Complex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2006 16:37
Quote: "Quote: "ol, thats the third time in a ROW i've come second. lol.

At least im consistent eh?"

You'll win eventually, your work is awesome, but strangely you never win "

I coulda sworn he won one a while back? Although I could be mistaken.

Oh yeah, and Sepp, do you want a hand with that Contest Archive thing in the contest main thread? I could do some digging...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 11:29:03
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 11:29:03