Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / New To This, A few Questions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am trying out FPS Creator currently with the Demo version. I was using Game Maker from Mark Overmars, however, since that program is mainly for 2D game, I am considering using FPS Creator for 3D Games and Game Maker for all my other 2D games, presentations, softwares and screensaver making thing...

Here's the things that make me wonder if this program really worth my money.

1. IS it possible to change the font of which the word "Health" and "Lives" display in?

2. Is it possible not to show "lives" at all

3. Is it possible to draw a health bar?

4. Is it possible to make chatiing system during Mplay?

5. Is it possible to change to exe icon?

6. Is it possible to create a video to show between level?

7. Is it possible to customize your own character?

8. Is it possible to change the controls?

9. Is it possible to make C-4 type weapons?

10. Is it possible to not make only CQB game? By that I mean can you make something like a game take place in a desert and it's a desert battle? Without letting player know that they are flowing in the middle of the sky?

When I think of more I will edit...

Thanks
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 30th Apr 2006 18:34
1 - 10: Yes

Crazy Grandpa
Billwaa
Years of Service
User Offline
ok, not I have more, after trying the demo for 2 more hours.

11. The lagging problem, is there a way to fix that. Every time I face the place with more than 2 enemy, it will lag.
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2006 14:48
1. Not in the way you mean. The H&L indicators are just image files--so you can't just change the font. You can, however, make your own .tga or .dds files to display.

2. Yes. You just have to erase the path to the "Lives Image" in the Global Script, under the Build Game dialog.

3. Yes, but only through scripting. And don't look at me when it comes to scripting.

4. There already is. Press "t"

5. Using NGins Icon Changer, yes. Find it here: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/xt/xt_apollo_download.php?i=504694

6. Yes, but you need to do a bit of scripting. Really, you'd just need to trigger a video in the loading page script, but it's simpler to use a story zone at the plr start marker on the next level.

7. Not particularly descriptive so it's hard to answer. If it has anything to do with hands, you have to model it yourself. And don't ask TGC for them, there are way too many problems with it. If you don't, then I have no idea what you mean. Please clarify.

8. Yes, in the Build Game dialog.

9. C-4?

10. Again, no idea what you mean. Clarify.

Evil has a new name.
Billwaa
Years of Service
User Offline
9 & 10

9. C4 as of the radio control explodsive that they use in military.

10. I mean outdoors games. Or battlefield- type game
Me Self
Years of Service
User Offline
C-4 is plastic explosives
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2006 07:40
In that case, no, not to my knowledge.

Evil has a new name.
yeah its me
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2006 16:27
I have been trying to import a terrain mesh too, i was trying to make an outdoor game, it did´nt work though, and no one has been able to tell why.

may god have mercy upon my enemies, I sure as hell won´t.

-George S. Patton-
Wyatt Earp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2006 17:44
It depends on your mesh, the UV mapping, the size, the model type, the export you included and the import method, the scripting, the placement etc. etc. etc.

Way too many variables.

I dont find it hard to import terrain. But FPSC is limited when it comes to outdoor levels. They need to be small.
dennisb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2006 18:57
I am making an out door game. I tried putting a terrain in but don't like that I couldn't get sound while walking. I'm sure there is a way but I couldn't figure it out. Any way, I decided to just use ground segments as my terrain is flat anyway. Then I put hills and stuff around the edges so people don't walk to the edge of my game and see the fpsc ground below. The game play is centered around buildings any way so nobody has any reason to walk to the edge but I think it's better with the hills. I wish the game world was a little bigger, I had to make my level a little smaller than I wanted but thats ok.

If you are putting in a terrain make sure it's not bigger than the level grid size or it will not appear in your game. That happened to me.

Dennis The Frogman
www.3dfrog.com
Billwaa
Years of Service
User Offline
lol, I just found it funny that Game Maker can make 3D terrian very well even though it is not meant for 3D game. But the enemys, objects, game play... not as good as FPSC. Wish I could some how combine both of them. GM provide really good features, it is perfect for anything just beside when it come to 3D.
Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2006 18:30
7- u dont even see urself
Maybe u culd look summat like this:

You don't have to be insane to answer my questions, but it helps

visit www.gameshell.tk
Billwaa
Years of Service
User Offline
I mean your enemy by that
ZAKU
Years of Service
User Offline
Bulwaa,
The reason for the ever present lag issue is that everything inside a level that is in the direction the player is facing is rendered at once(into Ram etc)
Test your level before you build it,press TAB and look at the poly counter at the bottom(on the left)
This shows you the poly's currently being rendered.
I try to personally keep mine in the 30 000's
Design your levels in a smart way,fence the player in,limit sight etc.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2006 02:08
Quote: "The reason for the ever present lag issue is that everything inside a level that is in the direction the player is facing is rendered at once(into Ram etc)"

There are in fact numerous issues affecting lagg and overall gameplay speeds. They are well documented.

Its true to say that many statements have been made to suggest that FPSC does not cull away polies correctly and that even perhaps thats FPSC does not cull at all and renders every poly, whether or not in view.

I would doubt that this is the case - more certainly it renders ploy counts as ascertained at compile in a rather unpredicatable fashion, so certainly often renders polys outside of the immediate view or scene - but not in any way all level polys at all I dont believe.

While in test run a wireframe view of your level should show you what FPSC renders both static world objects and static or dynamic entities at any one time as you move through the level. Presumably that is an accurate description of what FPSC is accounting for at any one time and it seems so as the wireframe scene seems to update frequently and your fps will change to reflect the same accordingly.

The serious lagg issue is well another complex issue which I doubt any end user fully undersatands. AI think time is the buggest drain where complex levels are concerned and mixing a lot of both at any one time is just a little too much for the engine currently.

How FPSC exactly handles the overall content loaded at run time and distributes the load in terms of ploys to view from that total is anybodies guess. In terms of the number of entities loaded and active at any one time one can again see this in wireframe mode and we can assume the AI burden with reference to these and their behaviours if any. What we cant ascertain from any view is exactly what FPSC is doing when it falls into the serious lagg issue - which is why I presume it exists and could not previously be fixed by the developers? Presumably its caused by bad code and this can be bourne out somewhat by users who write their own code. Almost all game engines will react badly if they read errors in code or script and if you have them you can see it happen as a result.

Hopefully things will improve over time. I'm sure they will.

=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2006 07:51
A remote controled weapon (eg a C-4) isnt possible as far as I know of.
TheDude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2006 02:37
There's always script editing. Never wrote a script, just trying to be helpful.

Straight outta compton
code master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2006 04:33
I'm sure C-4 is possible... Like, maybe, a controll 'pad' that you point at the C-4 and click. This could be a weapon, and the C-4:

1.) see if player has weapon "C4Control"
2.)If so, set My health to 0

and, if set to explode when it dies, ta da!

Or, you could make a button on the wall to detonate:

Make the button's ifused property C4
then when it's used, destroy and blow up the C-4

just so you know, I've never scripted in my life, But I have programed(Quite a bit), and I'm famialr with FPSC script language.

"I don't bite her, i just slobber on her" "I remember things as well as a retarded goldfish, who just swam through the chicago river"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 15:24:41
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 15:24:41