Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Is Head Shot possible in FPSC? I played a lot of FPSC made game and it's weird how you don't hurt them more doing head shot.
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2006 10:07
No, its not possible

AE

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2006 17:17 Edited at: 7th May 2006 17:18
If you modified the source code, creating and automatically binding a secondary sphere collision body to the XZ world location of the enemy, elevated to Y+(Object Size Y(entityObj,1)-(object size(collisionSphereObj,1)*.5)), you could register head shots. It would take some work, though, and some trial and error.

Come see the WIP!
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2006 21:04
SOME trial and error?

lets say:

LOADS of trial and error.

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120...
Billwaa
Years of Service
User Offline
well, I don' know FPSC code, so hopefully someone will eventually figure it out and upload the script.
K Jah
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2006 23:59
It can't be scripted. You have to modify the source code using dbp and the expansions pack.

Doom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2006 01:33
you probably could use the open source one that was released with HL 1 but, then again. licensing issues there. FPSC makes more arcade shooters then anything not REALISM. (so far that i know of) Its like doom 2 but more graphical and more technical then editing a script and a wad file.
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2006 15:57
in Doom2 the AI was better then this.

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120...
Doom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2006 22:54
heh, that is true to.

Looking For WW2 Ambient sounds? http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=78596&b=24
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2006 02:15
Quote: "If you modified the source code, creating and automatically binding a secondary sphere collision body to the XZ world location of the enemy, elevated to Y+(Object Size Y(entityObj,1)-(object size(collisionSphereObj,1)*.5)), you could register head shots. It would take some work, though, and some trial and error. "

Why bother? You already have a detection of hit, just calculate the bullets last height before the hit [in relationship to it's starting height]. True, on inclines or declines this method will fail, and you will have to calculate the bullet's height in relationship to the nearest floor, but it is much eaiser to implement then a colision sphere.

We all have our inner noob. Join the NJL, and have more fun!
I believe society is flawed; our notions on life, on child rearing, stem too far back to be of relevance in this day and time.
Doom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2006 07:35
well if they add a hitbox to the neck area in the new version we are set

Looking For WW2 Ambient sounds? http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=78596&b=24
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2006 07:46 Edited at: 9th May 2006 07:49
Quote: "Why bother? You already have a detection of hit, just calculate the bullets last height before the hit [in relationship to it's starting height]. True, on inclines or declines this method will fail, and you will have to calculate the bullet's height in relationship to the nearest floor, but it is much eaiser to implement then a colision sphere."

The collision sphere method would not fail. It would be a dependent object that would automatically position itself every loop. It wouldn't even create any overhead.

Calculating the bullet's distance to the floor is also pointless, because the model might be elevated off of the floor, i.e. - falling off of something. It needs to be calculated relative to the object, not the level mesh.

I use dependent objects all the time for different effects in games. I find them stable and simple to use. Say, for instance, you wanted to calculate a hit to the character's arm. If you tried doing it with math, you'd never get it done. The arm is constantly moving. If you position a collision sphere, and glue it to his arm, it would be simple. If both the model and the collision sphere were hit, the arm would register a hit. I'm doing something similar right now in my RPG. It allows me to simulate Mesh-mesh collision in combat without the overhead.

Quote: "you probably could use the open source one that was released with HL 1 but, then again. licensing issues there. "

It was written in a different language, so it would be an exercise in frustration. It's entirely possible in DBP. I already gave you guys the equation to position the sphere correctly and register hits. Or, you could glue the collision spheres to the object limbs instead.

Some FPSC fanatic should implement it and impress everyone. I just don't really care about FPSC, though I'm a bit familiar with the code. I'm heavily invested in my own project atm.

Come see the WIP!
Doom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2006 22:51
i forgot fpsc was made in DBP not c/c++ :p

if its in DBP then the code you supplied would work well.

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2006 23:17
I don't think the hl scripts are actually c++ but rather a c version with access to the steam engine. Confusing...

@Cash Curtis II... I was just listing a 'quick fix'. To determine a bullets height in relationship to the floor would be just to drop an raycast (already in the engine). Yes, it isn't as a function, if you want to get technical, but the code is already there, all you need to do is arrange it for your purposes.

Even then, there should be some bullet trajectory calculations going on anyways... if you want to determine where to put a bullet hole in the wall... you have to have it calculated. Although that is probally only LocX, locY, locZ in relationship to the center of the map model.

The question now is, how much work would adding a collision sphere be? And would you need to move it along with the object, or is it coherant to the object it is attached to? Finally, assuming that it works, would it interfere with the physics of the entity it is on?

I believe society is flawed; our notions on life, on child rearing, stem too far back to be of relevance in this day and time.
Doom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2006 04:12
@Onepost

Yea the engine actually is cpp/C++ and C. uses both.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2006 07:45 Edited at: 10th May 2006 07:48
Quote: "Cash Curtis II... I was just listing a 'quick fix'. To determine a bullets height in relationship to the floor would be just to drop an raycast (already in the engine). Yes, it isn't as a function, if you want to get technical, but the code is already there, all you need to do is arrange it for your purposes."

That would only work if the model were on ground level. Native DBP raycasting is a CPU expensive operation anyway. Plus, it would be prone to failure in different situations (the model was elevated, or rotated in some way). There is simply no reason to do it that way. The right way is always the best way.

Quote: "And would you need to move it along with the object, or is it coherant to the object it is attached to?"

That depends technically on how you bind it, but the outcome is the same. Either you'd glue it, or reposition it every loop. Either way, it would stay put without much overhead. It depends on FPSC's limb placement. If the head had to always have the same limb, I'd glue it. If the limb could vary, I'd bind it manually. Both take about the same amount of code.

My combat engine uses both for different purposes. Gluing is simply better, but doesn't fit every situation.

Quote: "Finally, assuming that it works, would it interfere with the physics of the entity it is on?"

No. Only physics bodies could interefere. The collision sphere would not work if it were. We'd be raycasting along the same trajectory as the projectile to determine sphere collision.

Come see the WIP!
Mr Flowerkohl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2006 11:09
well....you just alter the death animation.
just let the head explode. but then if you shoot at the stomach or at the legs , the head will explode,too.
so you have to create a very special weapon.... the "headshot" weapon. where every shot the enemy`s in the target, hits the head

yeah...thats the ticket !
Zizaco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2006 14:17
Quote: "If you modified the source code, creating and automatically binding a secondary sphere......"

The only problem is... that you cant compillate the source

Sorry for my bad inglish!
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2006 14:25
I do find this thread very interesting to read. I'm just wondering one thing about the proposed solution by OnePost & Cash Curtis II.... wouldn't this solution drag down the speed of FPSC dramatically? Especially when using a number of enemies, I'm afraid the game may become very unplayable.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2006 16:41 Edited at: 10th May 2006 16:48
Quote: "I do find this thread very interesting to read. I'm just wondering one thing about the proposed solution by OnePost & Cash Curtis II.... wouldn't this solution drag down the speed of FPSC dramatically? Especially when using a number of enemies, I'm afraid the game may become very unplayable."

Actually, no it wouldn't. Imagine you had 20 enemy entities. You'd create 20 sphere primitives that are bound to each entity.

Then, you'd hide them.

You'd either reposition each sphere each loop, or glue the spheres one time (for the reasons I stated above). Positioning an object is very quick.

Since they're hidden, they wouldn't even render. There is next to no overhead. They would, however, register collisions correctly.

Like I said, I'm using dummy objects for everything in my game. Every weapon has two dummy objects bound to it. Every entity has its own particle emitter bound to it. I use a global primitive cube that is shared between all entities to simplify AI positioning math.

The bottom line - they're not rendered, and don't bog down the system. They're not physics bodies, so there are no extra calculations. They're very fast, a very practical solution to this problem.

The problem right now is that the source code won't compile correctly. Until TGC sorts this out, there's really nothing to do.

Come see the WIP!
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2006 16:47 Edited at: 10th May 2006 16:48
[Double post, internet is acting crappy]

Come see the WIP!
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2006 21:44
Quote: "The problem right now is that the source code won't compile correctly. Until TGC sorts this out, there's really nothing to do."

Or... you could fix the source... I really don't understand what has been changed, the main reason being is that I don't know where to look.

code master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2006 23:30
Quote: "The only problem is... that you cant compillate the source "

and why can't you?

Quote: "The problem right now is that the source code won't compile correctly. Until TGC sorts this out, there's really nothing to do."

Why not? I've never tried it, would probably take forever.

Weapon Creator EA for sale soon
[href]www.wc.out-lawz.com[href]
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2006 03:00
Quote: "Or... you could fix the source... I really don't understand what has been changed, the main reason being is that I don't know where to look."

Version 6 changed the way it handles strings, and the source code falls victim to that change. This problem sounds relatively minor.

That's not really the issue though. A couple of people have tried compiling it under 5.9 and get 1 FPS. The question has been posed a couple of times, and some very talented DBP programmers didn't have a clue.

Any source code fixes would be a bit pointless ATM, unless someone sorted out the issue. My time is valuable and I'm right in the middle of a big project.

And, to be honest, I don't have a lot of interest in FPSC. It would be a major time investment for minimal gain. I like making my own games.

Come see the WIP!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 17:23:41
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 17:23:41