Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Fullscreen Exclusive Mode ?

Author
User Deleted
Posted: 7th May 2006 10:30
I have searched the forums for this topic but was unsuccessful. My question is, is it possible to start your FPSC games in fullscreen exclusive mode ? ( so the monitor's resolution actually changes to match the game ) I haven't found a method yet and just wondered if it was indeed possible. Cheers then

http://www.wehtam.co.uk - Are you creative ? Artistic projects | Forum | Game media downloads
K Jah
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2006 23:54
Eh? Once you've built a game it should go into full screen mode automatically once you open it.

Lightning Bolt Studios
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2006 03:01
My games always start in full screen also.

Good...Bad...but I'm the guy with the GUN!
Support your local Riker 9 Chapter
Wehtam_
User Deleted
Posted: 9th May 2006 09:44
Yes the game starts in Full Screen mode, but not Exclusive mode. When you next test a game, see if your monitor clicks to change resolution. My FPSC games are full screen but at 1024 x 768, so the image appears stretched. Exclusive mode would mean my monitor changes to a 1024 x 768 resolution, so the game isn't stretched. watching a 1024 x 768 moving image stretched over a 1280 x 960 screen isn't ideal

http://www.wehtam.co.uk - Are you creative ? Artistic projects | Forum | Game media downloads
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2006 23:36
I think that is a made up phrase... either way, get FPS Pack to deal with that.

We all have our inner noob. Join the NJL, and have more fun!
I believe society is flawed; our notions on life, on child rearing, stem too far back to be of relevance in this day and time.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2006 01:08
It's not made up - I've been having discussions about it in the DBPro forums ... primarily about how much extra work is involved with recovering from switching away from your game for a while

A basic summary is ... it's a nightmare, and if Lee had attempted it, you'd still be waiting for FPSC.

For free Plug-ins and source code http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2006 02:53 Edited at: 10th May 2006 02:53
Okay, IanM... correct me if I am wrong, but does DBP not have a
Quote: "perform checklist for display modes"

or something like that?

The phrase still sounds strange... fullscreen exclusive?

I believe society is flawed; our notions on life, on child rearing, stem too far back to be of relevance in this day and time.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2006 15:29
Fullscreen exclusive is a way of taking over the entire display for your program - no other program can display anything, and even the desktop disappears. Hence 'fullscreen' and 'exclusive'. You can then switch to any resolution/colour depth supported by your video card (as determined by PERFORM CHECKLIST FOR DISPLAY MODES).

When you give up control of the display by switching to another process (ie Alt-tab), windows takes back control of the display, and causes all DirectX surfaces, textures and objects to be lost. When control is returned to your program, your program is required to recreate all lost surfaces and to reload all of those lost resources.

Unfortunately, it's not just display related information that's lost - you lose sound, music, input etc - input is easy to recover as there are no resources involved, and DBPro does that automatically, but sound and music need to be reloaded, and maybe even restarted at the point that they were stopped.

Running in a fullscreen windowed mode removes all of these issues. The way DBPro does this is to stretch the 640x480 display surface (or whatever size it is actually set to) to cover a window sized to the full size of the screen.

Wehtam_
User Deleted
Posted: 10th May 2006 15:52
Thank you very much for clearing that up IanM, at least now i know, and theres always the opportunity to increase the resolution of FPSC games

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2006 21:54
Quote: "Fullscreen exclusive is a way of taking over the entire display for your program."

Can I replace 'display' with System? Meaning that with Fullscreen Exclusive it will also unload the media used with your Operating System granting more resources to the program itself?

I see why FE would be an issue, not only would the source be required to tell if you have 'alt-tabbed' but it would also be required to reload everything, or crash [i've seen that before]. And with FPSC, reloading everything is alot of work...

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2006 22:23
Quote: "it will also unload the media used with your Operating System granting more resources to the program itself?"

You don't need to worry about it.

Whether running FPSC in windowed mode or FSEX mode, all non-DirectX information held in main memory is backed up either by the original file on disk, or by the OS pagefile.

This means that windows can immediately release this memory for use by your application as windows can easily recover by reloading.

If the original memory is needed again, it is reloaded. This in turn can some cause other memory that is in use to be released - we've all seen applications that appear to suddenly run slowly while the disk thrashes a bit, especially on low-memory systems.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 17:30:21
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 17:30:21