Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / FPSC Critique

Author
User Deleted
Posted: 10th May 2006 15:03
following this idea which emerged from ZAKU's level contest thread, I will begin to think allowed about this FPSC Critique idea.

Game mappers usually have a dedicated site to upload their maps, get them reviewed and rated and discuss various mapping topics. FPSC is no different to say, UnrealED so I believe the same rules could apply. A review website with marking criteria would generate interest for FPSC and provide traffic to maps released, it would also educate folk in what makes a successful FPSC game ( hopefully ).

So we start by looking at the requirements:

A website for FPSC Critique - images-links-hot maps
Forum dedicated to level/game design in FPSC and to provide feedback
Place to upload maps
Place to download maps

The major problem we face is the size of FPSC games ( or games in general for that matter ), I see many people using filefront, do filefront keep games uploaded until they are requested for deletion ? if there is a website which stores large files for download then maybe the FPSC critique website could refer people to use these other services.

People join FPSC critique, supply a link to their game, the judges download it , test/review/mark it and globally announce the files location. maybe supply a few screen shots of the map.

I'm just thinking aloud here as I say, but has anyone else thought of this idea ? Does it sound good or bad ?

http://www.wehtam.co.uk - Are you creative ? Artistic projects | Forum | Game media downloads
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2006 16:19
It sounds good to me; the file size is the issue though. More than save/load, I would like to see this addressed. There's plenty of FPSC sites, but none dedicated to the type of traffic you're talking about. If the file size wasn't an issue (and people didn't accuse the person of trying to steal their content right off the bat), then I could see this being successful.

-Keith

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 10th May 2006 17:03 Edited at: 10th May 2006 17:04
I'm not sure that the major problem is the size of the files, although it just depends on the hosting contract. Hosting features have come a long way and unlimited bandwidth is both available and cheap. The major problem I see is getting someone (or more) to take on the full time jobs of webmaster, admin, mod, etc, for free.

If the site offered the games for free some time in the future, then advertising may defray some of the expense, but again that is a maybe and way in the future.

Anyway, an admirable task should anyone care to try.

Crazy Grandpa
lilgamz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2006 17:16 Edited at: 10th May 2006 17:18
Why not just transfer the .fpm files and use mostly stock segments?

If you must have custom material (scripts, models etc) you want to show, include them with whatever directions.

The problem with the massive downloads it that it is largely stuff I already have. i.e. FPSC stuff.

The .fpm files are tiny and people can look at and modify them without filling your harddrive or exceeding bandwith limitations.
Wehtam_
User Deleted
Posted: 10th May 2006 17:32
It's a fair point lilgamz, but imagine the workload put on the judges having to render everyones games, some may have many levels. I totally agree that it is annoying downloading what you already have, but its the only way the judges could easily see and assess work in the way the author intended.

http://www.wehtam.co.uk - Are you creative ? Artistic projects | Forum | Game media downloads
lilgamz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2006 17:44 Edited at: 10th May 2006 17:44
By just opening the level one could get a fair idea of the layout.

The birds eye view would give one a good idea of the amount of work that went in.

Plus theres is less of a security issue. If FPSC opens the .fpm file and there are no extras like deletefiles.dll then I feel safer.

But running all those .exes kind of scares me.
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2006 21:37
virus scanner takes care of the majority of that.

We all have our inner noob. Join the NJL, and have more fun!
I believe society is flawed; our notions on life, on child rearing, stem too far back to be of relevance in this day and time.
Wehtam_
User Deleted
Posted: 11th May 2006 09:35
Can anyone list internet services which allow the upload and storage of large files like FPSC games. I see file front used often, do they delete the files after a time period ? If a critique/review site emerges it would be handy for the site to recommend possible ways of getting your files online.

ZAKU
Years of Service
User Offline
Whetam,I really hope we can get this going.
For files , besides filefront,savefile is also pretty good.
Most of the hosting sites keep the files for 30 days only ,unless it has been downloaded,so that should not be a problem.
If you need a list of godd free domains ,bravehost and Host dept are also pretty cool.
.TK can also give us the url of choice.
Just One Old Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2006 10:57
It seems the idea is good in theory, but as opposed to a periodic contest this would require full time site management and a dedicated number of people to act as judges, etc.

I can see the FPSC community growing to the point that something like this could eventually happen, but at this time it doesn't have the population of an Unreal, HL, BF, or Quake community. I'm not saying it couldn't work, but it may be a little early in the life of FPSC for something like this.

I think the periodic contest idea would be a better start in that direction, and give the community some direction at the same time. And right now it seems we're having trouble even getting a workable number of people interested in that idea.

Again, I could be wrong here, and it would be nice to see something like that take off, but it seems a little over zealous at this point. Hopefully the FPSC community will prove me wrong...

Sarcasm, just one more service I have to offer...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 17:28:56
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 17:28:56