Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Is showcase board dead?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2006 16:59
Seems like nobody visits showcase forum nowadays. In one day there comes something like 3 new posts. Why?

Intel P4 Processor 519 3.06 Ghz, 1536 MB DDR, Ati Radeon 9550 256MB
My site: http://www.freewebs.com/nigezu
[img][/img]
Essal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2006 17:33
I dont know....My "Free stuff now and more Coming" Died pretty fast in the models and media board, Only 3 people downloaded my newest entity on my website.

Killer Snails are Good-------------------
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2006 18:06
Perhaps this is the better question to ask: is it worth visiting every day?

I do visit it every day, but I hardly comment anymore. What comments am I going to make on the next story without screenshots/demo? What am I supposed to say if I see yet another post with stock media screenshots?

Imo the showcase forum should be changed..... either in one where only demos can be places or into two forums.

Showcase I, for all of your WIP and Showcase II for finished games.

I've noticed that some threads get lot of attention and posts and I'm wondering why that is. The only thing shown is yet another story with stock media screenshots and nothing original.

Then I see other very original game demos (some with stock media, others not) or threads with great custom made media and hardly anyone views them or comments.

That's a real shame, we should really support the people who release a full game or a original demo or create a demo with custom media. It's great to release some screenshots, but let's face it, with fpsc everyone can do so.

It's much more challeging to release a game and most people don't get past the screenshots at all.

So, I'm a bit tired of visiting the showcase at times. I only post in threads that show me something original. They really deserve it, yet they're often ignored.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Nigezu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2006 18:44
Personally I visit showcase many times in a day, but it is very stupid because feels like most of people have stopped posting in that board.

[img][/img]
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2006 19:16
I vist all the FPSC forums everyday too, usually many times per day - if at all possible.

Most forums I may not post in at all unless I have something I think is of value in some way to say.

As to the showcase forum I rarely post there though as said I may look through many times a day. Personally I dont and would not or would very rarely comment on other peoples work - unless asked specifically to do so.

My own gamemaking is long term, complex and needing of much effort so I only post again when theres something new or I feel is particularly worth showing - such could be months or certainly many weeks in between.

Personally I dont work with FPSC with any view to a quick release of any develoment - it has always been my personal approach that I have a game to make they way I want it to be at a certain standard and will endeavour to make it and release anything only when I am happy to do so. And if I am not happy with it then nothing will ever be shown or be released and so be it.

If there are few posts in that forum then I presume that visitors simply have no comment to make - seemingly one must assume as they have little enthusiasm for one reason or another for whats shown there.

I guess some hot shots of work done with FPSC might generate more interest, but thats not the case with any certainty as pointed out previously above by Benjamin A.

Humans are a starnge lot and theres no accounting for taste.

As to the Why - I guess there are different reasons in each individuals case.

You should not forget either that FPSC has one of the smallest active indie engine communities around. Many members seemingly come and go on a regular basis - some leave others whilst join up. A larger more stable forum membership with long term committment to the FPSC engine would encourage more completed games and more activity in those forums. Too many potential users I believe are lost when they look at it or try it out and dont stick with it - for one reason or another.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2006 20:11
I visit the Showcase forum quite a bit-and post on the thread that I have there as well as some others.I am getting ready to go there again to post my review of "The Undead".
You can have a million views and no posts...I don't get it either.
I try to play the full games and demos when I get the chance and I try to post my input on what I think about them.Sometimes I read a thread to find crap like "I am planning on making a game.I have no screens,demos,etc. but here is the story" and stuff like that.
There are good to bad things in that forum.I wish I had more time to play around in the Showcase forum.As a matter of fact I am heading there now to see what evil lurks there today...lol.

FLa
Where you can find my demo:http://www.savefile.com/files/6970524
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2006 05:51
BTW there is a screenshot competition in the Showcase forum and the prizes are nice.
Sorry about the double post but I figured the news was important and this deserved a bump.

FLa
Where you can find my demo:http://www.savefile.com/files/6970524
Nigezu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2006 09:32
Yeah I know about that competition. I've already took part to it.
I were second or third entry.

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2006 11:15
Although the Showcase board is waning somewhat, it's been worse.

Much worse.

I'd rather a slow board with promise as opposed to a rampaging board of storylines and threads with nothing more than "OMG0rz im lyk t0taly mayking a spAce g4me w1th m0nsT3r g1raff3s 4nd 3vil cl0wns 4nd 5tuff".

That was a bad time.

Anyway, if any FPSC board is slow, it's Feature Creep. Each thread averages what, 50 views? Those threads never get updated.

Evil has a new name. Demo out now!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 17:29:48
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 17:29:48