Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / What makes a game good enough to sell?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
What would make a game good enough to sell?
Lizblizz
Years of Service
User Offline
Gameplay,sound,graphics,functions,craveing time,story and What Gener the game is most popular now is Horror games

Rick123
Years of Service
User Offline
How much money would you sell a game per level?
Lizblizz
Years of Service
User Offline
nothin realy i guess just not to short like RE games but not to long like half-life just a fun one retartedly funny

Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2006 02:34
a good game is original, something unexpected, hence suprises.

-Jon

RedCore // www.redcore.uni.cc
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2006 02:43
Check out "The Undead" full game in the Showcase forum.It is not quite good enough to sell but it is very close.If Natflash squeezed out a few bugs and added a few levels he could sell it.
It will give you an idea of how lighting,sound,etc. can make a good game.he didn't use a whole lot of entities but the way he designed the levels...the closest I can explain it is atmosphere.
The other thing to remember is it doesn't matter how pretty your game is,how long it is,whether you can save/load or anything else.
A game has to be fun to play.Bottom line.

FLa
Where you can find my demo:http://www.savefile.com/files/6970524
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2006 02:56 Edited at: 13th May 2006 03:01
I think it all comes down to the atmosphere that you present to the player. you can have a really good story line and kill it by having a poor atmosphere. Most players want an interface that is easy to alter and use. you don't want to over stock the monsters/bad guys but you do not want to use them so sparingly that they are almost non exsistant. the toughness of the foe should be comprable to the weapon it uses (ie...if it uses a shotgun it would be natuaral for the foe to close ground fast and be a little more agile than say a foe with an m60) also the players weapons should be evenly matched. why would an m4 do the same damage as the shotgun at a close range?
Time to touch on the atmosphere portion:

If you build a level say in a sewage tunnel/drain tunnel you would typically hear some wind ( this would intensify towards the openings) and you will possibly here some trickling or running water. and every once in a while you will here maybe a rat and the materials that the tunnel are made from will sette as heat is lifted so maybe a creaking sound from time to time. These types of tunnels are very rarely lit so it is only natuaral to have a color scheme in browns, reds, blacks, light grey and dark greys. combine all of these together with a few foes (mostly hobos) and maybe a few puzzle type mind games and you have a great level.

ok now for the story line portion:

So now it comes time to explain why you are in a sewer tunnel, there are not many reasons why the normal person should be in this type of environment. unless you work for the sanitation department you have no buisness in the tunnels. You will need to be creative. so say the "player" has suffered a loss in the family or maybe a loved one, still not able to get over the pain of this great loss he often finds himself drawn back to the place she was murdered. unfortunently he/she was kidnapped/raped and her body was brought to the tunnel and dumped. A hobo stumbled across her body while seeking shelter from a rain storm a few months back. you were taken to the tunnel to ID the body (some what realistic but not likely) for some time after the funeral everything was fine, then one night you were haunted by dreams of the murder, confused because the dreams seemed to be a bit to vivid. You now feel obligated to visit the tunnel. After a few visits you think you see his/her ghost or at least that is what it appears to be. you finally follow this ghost/image in to the tunnel.

--Now that is a solid way to tie the tunnel and the player together. it is a reasonable situation, and one that a person can relate to. Now you have them wanting to know why they are following this ghost/image in to the tunnel. By doing this you have set the mood for the game and believe it or not the player will probably be hooked until the end. One of the worst things you can do at this point is not follow through with an interesting story line backed with believable atmosphere.

I beleve this is what makes a game sell. You can sacrifice visual quality to achieve the best atmposhere and game play you possibly can. And while many say that if you can't use high poly models and shader engines your game will be garbage, you can stun them with a great storyline and atmosphere. Your goal should be to create a level or game that wraps the player in the mood, you should strive to control the players mood and emotions, by doing this your game will be a success, and no one will care that your game doesn't have Doom3 graphics.

RF

"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
-- Winston Churchill
K Jah
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2006 03:14
Hang on a minute...

http://kwgamestudios.proboards62.com/index.cgi?board=tchnqs&action=display&thread=1146241310

Click above link. It'll lead you onto an in depth guide to level design.

Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2006 03:24
A bit old, but very informative. The only thing I do not like about tutorials on level design is it can and often does create a box for people to play in. My advice to any new level designers is to think outside the box. The first thing I do when I get a new idea for a level is try and break the program I am going to create the level with (if that makes sense) once I know the limits of the program I can then start sketching out a solid level. I will then constently revamp the level, and in some cases I will create 3 or 4 levels for one scenerio. Just remember that the levels should be different but the on the same note they should bet the same.

RF

"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
-- Winston Churchill
Lizblizz
Years of Service
User Offline
wow i never knew your game had to be perfect to sell! good thread rick but my game LN i sure to sell i invested like 265 dollars into it sofar

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2006 05:09
I never said a game had to be perfect and neither did anyone else.I said a game had to be fun.You have to like playing it.

FLa
Lizblizz
Years of Service
User Offline
yhea my game is gonna be fun! all i need is lots of scripting and an allies script cause like in RE and SH other characters follow you around and help you kill monsters. but yhea i might sell it around 5-20 dollars if all come good

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2006 05:38
I don't think there is an allies script for that.If they aim like the bad guys you won't want that kind of help.
You might want to have someone help you with your scripting.
Getting back on topic make a game that you like to play.Even if nobody else likes it you will still want to play it.
Rely on instinct.If you love the game there is a good chance others will too.if you don't maybe you need to make changes.

FLa
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2006 05:40
But this thread is not about your game it is about "What makes a game good enough to sell"

And I has returned is right if the game is fun then people will like it.

-- Winston Churchill
Lizblizz
Years of Service
User Offline
umm thats why theres demo so people can try it out before buying!

Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2006 06:18
You really should design a game that appeals to your senses. Like i has returned stated if you build a game that you love other people will love it as well.

-- Winston Churchill
Me Self
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2006 06:53 Edited at: 13th May 2006 06:54
Quote: "umm thats why theres demo so people can try it out before buying!"

Exactly , And by the way cool website

Lizblizz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2006 07:02 Edited at: 13th May 2006 07:04
Yhea lots of people like my story but the negative side is that its a lot like silent hill but still good im trying to make FPSC to allow Gif. Textures so walls bleed all slimy

Edit: and thanks sunday 123 it took me a while to get things into order something im pround of soon on credits im trying to add pictures to credits to show the voice talent characters

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2006 15:54
I think a game is good enough to sell when people buy it and show lot's of interest in it. Before you decide to sell it, place screenshots and perhaps a pilot version at the showcase forum. the wait for the reactions people give. Don't get offended when the critisize the game, but do something good with the critisism.

Imo good selling points for a game are good looking graphics, a good storyline, a good overal presentation (like menus, loading screens and such). Diverse levels is a must also, don't just let the player shoot and kill, but try to bring in other gaming elements. Also bring in something original into the game, that helps a lot. Don't just clone a game, but add something of yourself to it.

When you're working on a game, get feedback from others. If you get ooh and aahs you're on the right track.

Don't cut corners when it comes to designing. I something doesn't feel and look right, people will not play it. If a level doesn't run as smooth as you want it to, redesign it. If a script isn't working as you want it, rewrite it again.

I do think my game The Commander Josh is good enough to sell. I'm not basing that on my own opinion, but on the reactions of others. Check out the comments people make here: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=78354&b=25

This game wasn't written overnight, it took a lot and a lot of effort. I completely did costumize the game, with new segments, new entities, a lot of new scripts and improved scripts.

I also improved and rewritten the enemy scripts to make them much better. After I had the game done, I let some people play it, but the general comment was, th enemies, they're just not good enough. So I did spent a couple of days to improve their scripts.

Also I wasn't happy with the lighting in the game when done. So I redid part of the game and wrote some extra light scripts to get a better atmosphere and mood in the game.

Most people around here aren't prepared to go to the max when creating a game. You need to be prepared to put in time and effort.

When the game is done, you need to work on it's overal presentation. Don't use crappy loading screens, intros or menus, they will destroy your game. Don't use a slapped together website to present it, design one that fits the game.

But most important of all, create a game with recognizable line in it. What I mean is do not mix just about any good media you get. Make sure everything fits well and the keep the line persistant. Everything in the game must fit together. That's very important. For example, don't create stunning enemies and let them run around in sloppy textured buildings. Don't use non realisting characters in ultra realistic surroundings. Make sure everything matches and the line in all levels is kept. So don't go from comic looking levels to ultra realistic looking levels, but keep the style.

Lastly, be prepared to invest. If you cannot create good looking enemies, but you can create good looking segments, find someone who can do the enemies for you. If you're great at creating static entities, but you can do the proper segments, find some that do match.

People do not buy crap. It's as simple as that, so don't expect them to do so. Also don't get the idea that all people want is the next quake or half-life. That's not true. People do enjoy indie games, as ling as their fun to play and have something original in them.

Well that's it, hope all of my rambling will help a bit.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 17:35:19
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 17:35:19