Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / im thinking of buying fps need feedback please.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm new to fpsc im wondering how big the maps for fpsc are not just in gird units. And how much they can hold. Thnx.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2006 05:17
You can download the free demo and find out for yourself.It at the FPSC downloads page.

FLa
Where you can find my demo:http://www.savefile.com/files/6970524
shadow demon92
Years of Service
User Offline
k ill do that i guess btw i meant grid units the site doesnt say size only 40x40x20 grid units
Mallex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2006 10:19
My recomandation is: wait untill TCG has fix a proper AI.
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2006 15:17
Download the demo, check the showcase forum and download some demos there also and you'll get a good idea what FPSC can do.

You can click the link in my signature or go here http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=78354&b=25and check out the game I've created, you can look at a video and play a demo. It's a completely costumized game created with FPSC and imo it represents very well of what FPSC is capable of. As far as I know it's also the only and first full game released released, unless you count games with 2-4 levels as full games also. But in my book those are still demos.

Quote: "My recomandation is: wait untill TCG has fix a proper AI. "
I doubt they will, it's up to the user to do so. I've rewritten and improved a lot of the AI scripts and they work much better in my game as the original ones.

FPSC allows you to script your own wants and needs, so it works best for you. TGC has given us the tool, we need to learn it and create something great with it!

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2006 16:59
I'm with Ben.They probably won't do much with enemy a.i.Even the big boys in game development admit that that a.i. is the last thing they worry about.You can make your own a.i. scripts or edit the ones provided and there are people like Ben who are happy to help you with your scripting,provided you have used the search function first.
Waiting until this and/or that is fixed to use FPSC is an excuse. Just like saying you didn't finish making your game because it is raining outside.
FPSC has its flaws.Most of them can be worked around.Look at it as a challenge.
And basically don't listen to any of us...yet.Download the free demo and try it for yourself.There is a manual in the Docs folder after you install it.It will take you on a step by step tutorial on how to make a game.Then play with the demo and see what you think.
After that get back with us and tell us.I hope you have fun playing with the demo.
For those unhappy with the a.i. there is a forum called "Scripts."
Please visit it.

FLa
tayete
Years of Service
User Offline
My recomendation: wait until you can SAVE your games with FPSC. It is nearly useless out of the box right now.

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2006 19:22
Quote: "It is nearly useless out of the box right now."

Strange how all of these people suddenly appear to bring down FPSC while one gets the feeling they hardly ever use. At least they're hardly ever around in the FPSC forums.

There are work arounds for the missing save/load feature. It's not even nearly as useless as you make it sound to be. Not every game needs save/load either.

GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
I recommend you do get FPSC. It is a wonderful software and, regardless of what others say, it IS possible to create a commercial quality game with it. It is a brilliant engine with very high capabilities and the AI is bad as it is, but certain improvements can make the AI seem half-decent. Although some people say that the grid unit isn't big enough, it is still big enough to make a decent level and can have up to 19 floors!
So, a list of the cons and pros would go most appropriately here:

Pros
-Able to build large level with many floors
-Graphics are okish, but could do with some improvement (but are still good for what they are)
-Physics system (Meaning you can have the Player able to pick up and throw objects such as Crates)
-Waypoint system, meaning you can have NPCs follow certain paths you set for them to
Cons
-AI is sluggish, but can be improved quite easily
-Long loading times
There are many more, but to list them all would take a lot of time and effort. Just try the demo and see for yourself!

My overall recommendation to you: Get FPSC. It isn't a con, it does EXACTLY what it says it will.

Tom

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2006 21:42
Quote:
"My recomendation: wait until you can SAVE your games with FPSC. It is nearly useless out of the box right now."

Laziness and no imagination.That is what that reeks of.If you had used FPSC in depth and you checked it out in the forums you would know that some of our forum members have come up with various solutions to the save/load problem.
If you are looking for things to handicap you on the road through life you will have no problem finding them.

FLa
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2006 22:24 Edited at: 13th May 2006 22:26
There are plenty of other things to learn while waiting for the implimentation of save/load. If you wait until FPSC is perfect, you'll still be behind the curve, because you'll still have to learn how to use everything. If you think FPSC is heading in the direction you want (there is plenty to read throughout these forums), then I suggest making the investment; if you have your doubts, and they override your wallet, then keep shopping. You could always come back later for another look.

It's a catch-22 really; if you settle on program 'X', only to find out months down the road that it won't do what you need it to do...then you've lost a lot of time. If you keep spending time shopping around and only settle on FPSC a month or two later, you've lost that much time in which to learn the program. Time or Money? It's up to you.

Personally; whether we use it or not for actual game creation, it's at least an excellent tool to "mock up" ideas with to use elsewhere.

-Keith

Mallex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2006 22:58
I guess your right. Are thoose AI scripts for sale?
I could really need some of them
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2006 23:34
My AI scripts aren't for sale or free for the public, but as I has returned, visit the script forum for ideas and there may be some new ai scripts there also.

shadow demon92
Years of Service
User Offline
thnx everyone, i already have the 3d game creater from years ago but was looking at fpsc, after that i was gonna get dark basic or something. im just wondering really how big the levels are i know you cna have 20 floors but i mean if u have no walls and start from one side of the map how long would u guess it would take to get to the other side going straight ahead. well, thnx all. oh btw do you guys know a webhoster for free that lets you make several sites and download stuff, i was gonna use freewebs but they supossedly cancel your account if u make downloads but don't pay them.
shadow demon92
Years of Service
User Offline
oh just so i know how hard is it to script things thats why i wanna get fps since you can drag and place and script, jsut say how long would you guess it'd take to teach a.i. to hear, knock things over for cover, and make them know how to use electronics (lights, pcs, cars.) i know they have some of this already i jsut dont know what. thnx for the help all, if any of you need help with games once i get fpsc ill help. also is 3d canvas pro any good. thnx.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 17:27:31
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 17:27:31