Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Menu Buttons

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I just created a menu button in the shape of a bullet. Now this button has 3/4th bullet and the rest is white now my question:

How can I delete the white Space so that you can see the game background through it? Alpha Channel is it called maybe..?

Tools I can use for it are:

Adobe photoshop CS2 9.0 and Windows Paint
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2006 22:20
You need a 100% black alpha channel - transparent in FPSC.

The alpha channel you can add in Photoshop. Save as .dds or PNG with alpha transparency.

MaarX
Years of Service
User Offline
Could you tell me how to do this, I created the alpha channel... Now OR my whole button is WHITE, OR my whole button is BLACK.

How can I let a part out?
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2006 22:53
You have to make a copy of your button (greyscale) with all of the parts you want transparent being completely black and the remainder being white for use as the aplha channel image.

You can have shades of grey if your button image calls for it but bear in mind grey shades will show as partly transparent - pro rata to the grey scale depth or shade. i.e. black is 100% transparent - white 100% opaque.

Once you have that alpha channel image open your button image and create an extra channel for it - it will be blank. Now copy your new greyscale alpha channel image you just made and paste it into the newly created alpha channel of your button.

Now your button image which had 4 colour channels has an extra one with your new alpha channel.

Save it out as .dds or PNG with alpha channel.

PNG may work and with transparency intact in any case without any reference by you during saving as long as the alpha channel exists FPSC should recognise it by default.

MaarX
Years of Service
User Offline
Where can I make my image greyscale? Would R,G, or B also do?
MaarX
Years of Service
User Offline
I found it thanks... One last question... (I have the PNG now)

Must I convert the PNG to DDS? or how can I install it now?
K Jah
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2006 23:18
Don't worry about the dds.

MaarX
Years of Service
User Offline
It doesnt work? This is my Image (You can see the Alpha Layer if it's good )

What I do with it: I save it as a PNG

Options I can select while saving: Save as copy + Alpha Channels
If i choose the first, i cant choose the second, and if i choose second i can't choose first... I saved with alpha layers.

Then (Still saving) i get an option:

"PNG Options

None
Interlaced"

I did both (One at a time)
Then I opened the PNG image again, and in the alpha screen, there were no alpha layers. Ingame it also didnt work (I converted to DDS)
The DDS nor the PNG has alpha layers... how is this possible?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
MaarX
Years of Service
User Offline
Fixed My problem (Don't know what I did, but it works)... IT WORKS YEAH... Thanks both!!!
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2006 01:49 Edited at: 16th May 2006 01:49
Well in some paint programs if you create an alpha channel for an image then save as PNG if you reopen the PNG you will no longer see it as it gets embedded into the PNG.

In FPSC to get it to recognise transparency - some objects require you to specify a transparency setting in script e.g. transparency=2

Sometinmes it takes a reboot of FPSC before new things show up correctly.

Glad to hear you got it working anyway so all these things and many more you dont need to know about now. If it works dont worry about it - just be glad it does.

MaarX
Years of Service
User Offline
Very usefull Information for ones that don't know how to do it:

(For Creating a DDS file with Alpha Channels)

You can use any paint program for the first step:

1) Open up your Image, and make everything you want NOT transparent white (Transparent = Invisible, to see the background behind it).

The rest of the picture you have to make BLACK (This is the color for Transparency, it won't be shown ingame)

Then save this only black and white as a .BMP

For step 2 I used a program called "DXTBmp" By MWGraphics it's easy to use I think

2) Open up your ORIGINAL picture in "DXTBmp" (NOT THE BLACK AND WHITE ONE). Then go to Alpha, in the highest work thingy, and choose import Alpha channel, continue choosing your .BMP alpha channel, and there you have the alpha channel applied! (YES)

Now you choose File>Save As> DDS Texture (Name doesn't matter i think... Only if you want to replace another file... But what does matter is the save as thing under the name, dont choose DDS DXT1 (NOALPHA) , but choose another (I used DDS DXT1)

Hope it can be usefull to all those who read...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 17:35:38
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 17:35:38