Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / TML: Demo RC1

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2003 02:58
Nope, still almost unplayably slow... but my system is pretty much the low end you are designing for so it's ok I guess.

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kousen Dev Progress >> Currently Working On Editors
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2003 05:48
I can play it After Pea-Guy has his little "Oh man Im lost speech" the last window stays there, my comp freezes up. Cant ALT+TAB ALT+F4 or anything I was really looking forward to this too

RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny
http://www.halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
Dont ask those questions! Read the help files lazy! Oh ya, and Tat has a plugin for that!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2003 13:28
Ok, both of you post your system specs.

[b]Digital Awakening
Game in developement: 3D RPG - The Magic Land
Visit DigAw.com for more info and shots
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2003 23:54
I did...

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2003 00:24
Rap:
Ah, I get so many replies it's hard to remember =)

[b]Digital Awakening
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2003 15:32
Patch 5 avalible, check the first post in this thread.

[b]Digital Awakening
Cras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2003 10:45
hi i got the game working 1st time and everything, but there are a few things id point out.

1- too easy
managed to finish it 1st time. You just let the combat people die then stand at the back shooting and the monsters never get to you. Probably due to your A.I. might be worth looking into
2- too short
i know there is more but there arent enough towns and quests. People dont (i hope i dont just speak for myself here) want to spend hours leveling up only to end the game after a few battles. You need quests and dungeons and stuff. Maybe make it take longer to find characters but make the monsters easier at the start. Have more towns (cant be that hard to add) and more monster types.
3- no skill for battles: make the monsters move less than your or something so that u can use movement to your strategic advantage. At the moment you rush in and attack with specials using potions to heal until they die. and that reminds me... is there any point in the apples since they hardly heal at all. Back to the point... people feel they have achieved something in a battle if they have to use a bit of skill (another idea would be characters with a taunt command to distract (something like that))

Neway i hate to te critical as you can see, so ill end on a high note, excellent visuals and a smooth commercial quality HUD. Keep up the good work, and maybe think about what i said.

(Please dont reply to this post moodily as if its blasphemy, im only trying to help).
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2003 13:22
Nobody else managed to play it through the first time nor did anyone else try your taktics. I made the game easier in patch 5 due to this. I asure you that if you wanna survive the full game you can't just let the nasties kill everyone but patches. These are the easiest nasties in the game. They will attack the closest hero as they win more by doing so (they can make more attacks). Only if you are standing next to them you can make them change target by hurting them.

That's why it's called a demo. Check my site to see what the full version gives you. Did you miss the screen when you quit the game?

There are other strategic ways to battle then you can think of. Before I made the game easier I could beat the demo with loads of gold and inventory left without letting a hero die. The apples are best used between battles.

Thanks =)

[b]Digital Awakening
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2003 14:18
I have a,,,,

1 Ghz - Pentium 3
512 MB Ram
GeForce 2

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny
http://www.halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
Dont ask those questions! Read the help files lazy! Oh ya, and Tat has a plugin for that!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2003 14:48 Edited at: 1st Apr 2003 14:59
Patch 6 avalible. It fixes a bug caused by patch 5. It's in the top post.

RPG:
What kind of GF2? And what OS?

You could try to play it directly after a reboot.

[b]Digital Awakening
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2003 19:08
I'm gonna make the party loose 100 exp every time a hero gets knocked out in battle. That way it will be more worth to keep them alive.

[b]Digital Awakening
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2003 21:49
DG It might be worth including an option to switch between full screen windowed

set window on
set window layout 0,0,0
maximize window

and full screen exclusive

set window off

as I have had massive performance differences between the two on different systems.

Anyway I've now completed the demo loadsa times and I still think its excellent. The combat system is great (Now that I've worked it out properly )!

When can I buy the full game?

Coming Soon! Kangaroo2 Studio... wait and quiver with anticipation! lol
samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2003 00:10
Kang:
I'm thinking of scrapping the waves part and simply put that excluseve mode option in there instead. The waves no longer have a huge inpact on FPS in patch 4.

Have you tried the game with the CON bost in patch 5/6? Is it too easy or is it good?

Thanks =)

Well, TML will be avalible on CD togheter with some other games with Pea-Guy, a few are beeing made in DB/DBP. It's uncertain when this CD will be avalible. Maybe 1-2 months from now.

[b]Digital Awakening
Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2003 00:39
Wow! Magic land is brill! It's just so professional, neat and great graphics and game play.

Good job can't wait for the full version.

are you gonna put floating hands and feet on the characters? I just think it would add that little bit of class

Once you start down the Dark Path, forever will it dominate your destiny...
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2003 00:54
The charactors don't have limbs... not our choice it's Astral Entertainment's.

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2003 02:33
Inferno:
Thanks =)

And as Rap says it's not our choice. I would gladly put hand on those weapons but I'm not allowed to do so. At least I have the weapons floating in air to allow more animations, the old Pea-Guy games all have the weapons attached to the body. Works ok if you got guns but swinging a sword like that is just silly =)

[b]Digital Awakening
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2003 23:13
New patch, see top post.

[b]Digital Awakening
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 12:01
There was a loading bug in patch 7 that have now been fixed, just download it again.

Some stuff in TML is hardcoded and I had finished act 1 causing TML to load stuff that the demo doesn't have. I have made a flag now so I can enable or disable this code.

[b]Digital Awakening
Pacula
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 20:44 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2003 20:45
DG, have only had a brief moment to look at the demo so far so can't comment on the gameplay much yet. It does however look really good as many have already commented, great environments and clean interface. I will try and post a decent review once I've had a chance to go through it.

Heh, yea the whole floating hands and feet thing...obviously that can't be done because they wouldn't even be the same characters which defeats the purpose. Probably the best way to make the sword look more natural is to waste time on creating complex ambient movement animations so it didn't feel locked in space. But frankly that would be a waste of time with all the things that could have been fixed or improved with that time.

Good luck as you finish up the game.

JB

Jerry of Astral Entertainment
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 21:12
It turned out that the AI tracking was only half made to handle dead heroes =) Now they can track a hero at a distance as they should. No more picking on them from a safe distance with Patches =P

This will be included in patch 8 with some other fixes.

Pacula:
Thanks =)

Well, if you didn't notice the weapons in TML floats at a distace from the characters and are beeing weilded as though they had hands and arms =) Look how they move the weapons when they are running for example. Good animations brings a lot of realism into the game, makes it more belivable. And I just love Mortuators overhead jump cut with his huge sword =)

[b]Digital Awakening
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 18:51
Patch 8 is up.

[b]Digital Awakening
Pacula
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2003 04:25
DG, played through most of the demo. One thing that struck me as odd was that though the white chompies are the smartest, they make the odd growling and grumbling noises while the green ones say stuff. It seems that they got switched around. Also, the phrase that the greens ones were saying when they got hurt was a bit long, got old and slightly annoying really fast. The battle itself was interesting and I imagine will be more and more fun the more guys there are and more strategy is required. But why is there no indication of Uncle Patches gun firing other than a sound? Either a blast effect at the end of the gun or actual bullets. Blast would be easier and make more sense however. Also, when Pea-Guy died or fell unconscious in battle, it was a very harsh transition. He just disappears with no message, and just bam is back again when the battle is over. It doesn't make any sense with the lack of explanation.

Mouse movement was very smooth and the control in general very intuitive.

Are you ever able to enter a house with a closed door, or is it only open ones such as the blacksmith? Maybe a "this door is locked" message if you attempt to use it.

The game did crash when exiting and "Unloading" for me. Win XP Pro, Athlon 1.5ghz, 128meg Radeon 8500, 512 ram, newest directx. Just sat working at 100% cpu, though I was after some effort able to kill the application so I didn't have to cold reboot.

Will post more if I find anything else or think of anything else.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2003 14:50
Pacula:
The voices for the chompies are the way I got them, and I didn't came up with those lines. At least Garth have played the demo a lot and he have never mentioned it.

Well, Patches gun also moves from the recoil. I did it with sound and animation only cause it was the fastest way.

I don't see why Pea-Guy should be treated differently then the others. In the manual it will be described that he (and everybody else) becomes unconscious and if all heroes are unconscious they will be captured and imprisoned.

Controls is very important to me =)

Nope, only buildings with open doors can be entered. I think it's clearly visible with closed doors and windows, they also have no gold item on top of the roof. Sure I could put in such a message, it can be done in a few minutes. But personally I don't see the point. If more requests this then no problem.

[b]Digital Awakening
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2003 14:51
Oops, I forgot:

Does your game always crash during the unloading?

[b]Digital Awakening
Pacula
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 07:11
DG, it does always crash exiting.

Oh, and when I was talking about Pea-Guy going unconscious in battle, I wasn't talking about him specifically. I meant the fact that he and any other character just *POOF* disappears, and then after the battle is *POOF* back. No animation for going unconscious, that was what the comment was about.

Hmm, didn't know all the voices were supplied, obviously Pea-Guys is. But more what I was talking about it switching the Green and White Chompy voices. White ones are smarter, so instead of grumbling and growling should talk, but the green ones should growl and grumble. There is a careful distinction between the Chompies to be maintained.

As for Patches gun, I mean like a quick blast animation at the end of the gun, such as a red and yellow cartoon star. Otherwise it just seems like he's firing blanks.

The locked door message is because there will be plenty of people I'm sure that will try to get into the houses for a while, are they supposed to get frustrated trying to figure out if they can or not? I'm not saying this because I was confused, I assumed that because the blacksmith had no door that's the way it was. However, you will get support e-mails about the silliest and dumbest stuff, so elimating stuff like this just generally makes things better. There are a lot of inept people out there.

Hope all this makes sense! Thanks.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 15:45 Edited at: 8th Apr 2003 15:47
Pacula:
Hmm, it's strange that it crashes for you. Nobody else have reported this and I don't know what causes it. Could be something with your Radeon as there's some problems with it and patch 4 but that's beeing fixed now.

I'll ask Garth about the voices.

If there's time I could add those animations.

If there's time I could do something about the gun. The problem is this will require some extra coding. However, many guns doesn't have a visible flame when fired. Shotguns (that the double shooty looks like) for example have no visible flame at all.

[b]Digital Awakening
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 15:46
Damn, clicked post too soon again =)

Well, I could add that door thing to avoid getting that response.

[b]Digital Awakening
Pacula
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 21:16
DG,

Yea, again, these are all just suggestions through experience, and as for stuff like the blast for the guns, it's not really a big deal. I know you are under a huge time crunch and you've done amazing with the time you've had. They are all just, if you happen to have extra time or it would take very little time then keep this stuff in mind.

I will also play around some more, check if one of my background processes is mucking up the games unloading. I'll keep you posted on my results, crashing or not.

Can't wait until we get to play through the entire finished game.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2003 03:25
Thanks =)

There will probably be a patch tomorrow with Pea-Guy saying that the doors ar locked as well as easier nasties that get's thougher in the other acts and I got exclusive mode and 16bit options.

[b]Digital Awakening
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2003 22:09
Patch 9 is finally here. This mainly adds exclusive mode and 16bit but there are some other changes, check the first post. Those who experienced slow speed before should try run TML in 800x600x16 in exclusive mode (E-Mode in options).

[b]Digital Awakening
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2003 23:33
cool updates, well done mate

Coming Soon! Kangaroo2 Studio... wait and quiver with anticipation! lol
samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2003 00:21
Kang:
Thanks m8 =)

[b]Digital Awakening
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2003 22:11
Patch 10 is now avalible and RC 2 that doesn't require any patching.

[b]Digital Awakening
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2003 19:20 Edited at: 13th Apr 2003 19:21
Never mind, I wrote something here by mistake

Why the hell'd you ask me for crying out loud!?!

Athelon XP 1400 Plus - Nvidia Geforce MX400 - 256mb RAM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 10:05:58
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 10:05:58