Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Fpsc! What on earth is it!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2006 15:27
Hi. I do dark basic - but what is FPSC and how do i get hold of it - as i am looking to create an FPS and this looks very helpful!

NO KEYBOARD DETECED - PRESS F11 TO CONTINUE - FOOKED BIOS
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2006 15:32
http://www.fpscreator.com has all of the info you need.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Renegade Andy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2006 15:36
Ok, so its a drag and drop type thing. How flexible is it - could i add in my own DB code if i wanted,, does it tie in perfectly with DBPro - and can i make my own game look different from everyone elses who are using dbpro?

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2006 15:45
you dont need DBP for it.

only if you want to edit the Source for the games.

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it was too beatifull to look at...
Renegade Andy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2006 15:46
But do all the games made with it look the same.,...

Evil Star
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2006 15:48
Pretty much

Renegade Andy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2006 15:50
Then what makes this special then,,,,

Renegade Andy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2006 15:54
Do you reckon you could do a better job starting from scratch in DB PRO?

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 20th May 2006 16:07
FPSC is a drag and drop FPS creator, excellent for anyone without coding experience. It basically creates a linear FPS, with included media for Sci-Fi and WW2 games.

You can create and add your own media/models/entities, making it as different as you like, within the limits of the engine. You can alter the scripts to change behaviors/AI/interactions, etc.

If you have the latest DB Pro, you can alter the source/engine to your hearts content. ( a can of worms I'm told )

What makes it special is the ability to make a game in a short matter of time without any coding experience.

Quote: "Do you reckon you could do a better job starting from scratch in DB PRO?"

I guess that would depend on your expertise.

Crazy Grandpa
Renegade Andy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2006 16:12
hmm, so this is a good starting point - i am fairly good with dbpro, so i think i shall try this out - does it have a built in multi player etc? my idea is to have a multiplayer only fps game.

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2006 16:31
FPSC isnt all that great. If you can code DB, then make your own 3d game, as FPSC lags, has no save and load, limited to 1 multiplayer map per exe.

Renegade Andy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2006 16:37
wtf! no save or load and limited to 1 map per exe, thats utter rubbish!

Evil Star
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2006 16:39
It was designed for single player, and as for save and load they were pressed for release so they cut back on a few features, one of them being save and load. Don't worry they'll put it in V2, hopefully

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2006 18:39
Quote: "But do all the games made with it look the same.,..."

As long as you use the stock content yes, but use your own and are invetive, you've got something brilliant. Check my game (link in my sig), it's quite different then the rest.

You can create something good with FPSC if you want.

The multiplayer is indeed limited to 1 map per exe, but with single player you can have up to 50 levels.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2006 20:23
Ben has made a game that is unique and Dennis is making a game that I am pretty sure is like no other.FPSC is a good engine for making fps games and it does have some limitations.
There are several ways to deal with the save/load thing and forum members like Ben,myself and OnePost have posted a variety of solutions.There are also several patches/upgrades in the works by TGC and others that will probably address this issue.
There are various things like dropping frame rate by those issues have been addressed to a point and there are posts about them too.
FPSC is not perfect but it is far from rubbish...I kind of resent that but you are entitled to your opinion.
I have read a few posts where people say they can't make a good FPSC game.They are wrong.If you let a limitation of the game's engine stop you that is either laziness or a lack of imagination.
While there aren't a boatload of games made by FPSC there are a few and some in development which are quite good or show promise.You can find them in the Showcase thread.
In the end it is not what the game engine can do.It's what the developer can do with it.

FLa
Where you can find my demo:http://www.savefile.com/files/6970524
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 20th May 2006 20:36 Edited at: 20th May 2006 20:37
@I has returned
Well spoken.

@Renegade andy
You might also look in the screenshot comp thread. That will give you an idea of what can be done as far as how the games can look.

Crazy Grandpa
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2006 21:15
OR get the demo to try out!

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it was too beatifull to look at...
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2006 22:52
People who wish to get into game making should first take some time to find out what its all about - not on the surface - but what it really entails and what skils and tools - not only the engine itslef that may be required to gain an understanding of.

This can be done by spending time reasearching in depth the nuts and bolts of what game making is all about in practice when one gets passed the hype and down to the hard work invloved. There is a wealth if information available if you look for it around the web.

FPSC is what it is and if you understand anything much about gamemaking then it wont be hard to make a valid judgement as to where FPSC and other engines and tools sit in the industry. Its not my intention to comment here on the merits of the particulars of each or any.

However its certainnly not true to say or even suggest that the tools used and that includes a game engine are somehow of lesser importance in any way than that of the skill of the user or users who weild them.

Its much a partneship of tools, engine, resources and end user.

The tools - game engine included will certainly have a major impact on the quality of games made and without tools that befit the intended end result - failure is assured.

You cannot no matter how clever, knowledgeable or skillful a user or how much effort, finance or anything else they might be prepared to invest in a project succeed unless the tools are capable of that which you seek to achieve.

Neither does the opposite necessarily guarantee success.

All engines and tools have certain limitations.

Its just a fact that those that employ the best tools and can call upon the greatest pool of resources and sustain that are more likely to make better and more successful games.

With the same level of effort, skill, tools and other resources available to me I could certainly make a better and likely more successful game withn FPSC if it was an improved engine to that which its is now - of course I could - so could others - thats the point - any engine or tool can be restrictive of that end result.

With that in mind I wait for the future updates and look to creating improved output from that which is currently possible.

mr splatface
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2006 21:15
yeah it isn't the best, or at least the best for commercial games. its for people who want to make a game without spending years trying to learn dbpro. personally i think its great, even with the limitations. you should try it renegade, you can get the trial from the website. happy gaming

' my cats breath smells like cats food' (ralph wiggum)
'purge your feelings' (darth vadar)
'a-ringdingding, dingadingabooowbaba a ringadingaDING,adingdingading!' (the crazy frog)
Halo Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "spending years trying to learn dbpro"

It dosn't take years, you just have to be willing to learn it.

@Renegade andy
I would stick with DBP and wait until V2 of FPSC(or whenever save/load comes out)

Currently Learning C++ and DirectX
Crazy Kamakazi KIller Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
I like apple pie aswell!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 17:25:50
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 17:25:50