Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Stand Alone EXE's With No External Media?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2006 20:05
Is it possible to build the game and have no external media? With DBPro I am able to choose whether I want to include all media into the EXE, but I am not sure if that is possible with FPSC.

Any idea's?

Thanks,
The Lone Programmer

"Is The Juice Worth The Squeeze"
-The Girl Next Door
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 21st May 2006 20:26
FPSC does not have that option.

As for "can it be done?", this is my understanding.

FPSC games get a portion of their data from compressed files. These files must be in the open, so to speak, in order for the engine to interact with them. Compressing or including them into another file will not work.

Crazy Grandpa
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2006 20:55
Het FPSPack.

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it was too beatifull to look at...
ReNZor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2006 21:32
FPSPack will put all files into 1 exe.. but remember..

FPSPack is NOT secure.. It is very easy to grab all files of your game from the fpspack
Duke Blue Devils
Years of Service
User Offline
@Renzor
Really??? Not according to RastaMan.

Visit the official Chicago Rush website
http://chicagorush.servegame.com/index.php
ReNZor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2006 22:37
lol its not safe i tell you.. give me a project packed with fpsc pack and ill grab the files and post them
its easy
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2006 22:38
Yes...

its just a Zip packed up as...WHOOPS! i said too much.

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it was too beatifull to look at...
ReNZor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2006 22:40 Edited at: 21st May 2006 22:41
the zip is password protected tho... but there is another way to grab all files... no password needed
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2006 22:41
I think we said too much for now...

ReNZor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2006 22:42
agree
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2006 22:45
Enough hints gaven,let them figure it out now!

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2006 00:25
If you use FPSPack it makes a single .exe and does do its best to protect your files.As has been previously pointed out if someone wants to steal something badly enough he or she can find a way.
It doesn't matter what software you use.Nothing is theft proof.
As far as I know FPSPack is the best tool for the job at the moment.
If anyone knows of another app please let me know.

FLa
Where you can find my demo:http://www.savefile.com/files/6970524
ReNZor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2006 00:50
noobs won't find out how to get the files.
You should use fpspack cos of it's nice launcher designs
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2006 01:06
Yes.It has several options that make it worth using.I only have the demo now but I will probably buy the full version next month.Just giving the player the option to choose what keys he or she wants to use is an excellent idea.

FLa
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2006 01:28
@ReNZor

Using the search function any noob could get access to games packed with FPSPack as it has been posted many times how to do it...
ReNZor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2006 03:22
Thraxas

i was more thinking about ppl who don't use fpsc like someone who receives ur game :/
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2006 03:40
Renzor... I would think, though, that it's mainly people who use FPSC who want to get at your objects/scripts etc...
Talairina
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2006 10:19
Can we quit the hint's towards Piracy please? For a start when you get a game from here most 'designers' include a license in which you agree not to tamper or steal the files within the game. Also you are not meant to discuss piracy here (Yes that's what that is if you agree not to take someting in the first place then do so anyway)

Yes we know FPSPack has some security issues but it at least has some security. I dont believe I know of another App that can do FPSPacks job yet. So please, quit the chat about how to break the security on it.

Tal
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2006 10:42
It's sad you have to include that kind of license.People should not steal files.Period.

FLa
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2006 19:42 Edited at: 22nd May 2006 19:45
Quote: "I would think, though, that it's mainly people who use FPSC who want to get at your objects/scripts etc..."

And they are the exact same people that know they can take what they want from their windows temp dir where fpspack extracts the game.

Someone who just downloaded your game to play probably doesn't even know what a 3d model or a script is let alone have any use for them.

The only good way I can see to protect media is to modify the fpsc exe so that it can load encrypted media from disk. That's very difficult to do, it's really something tgc will have to do in an update.

The big problem I see with fpspack is that decrypting the game and writing it to the windows temp dir can be a time consuming process. A relativly small game can take 45sec on my computer. A decent sized game is going to take over a minute. With so many other ways a user can distract themselves on a computer the faster you game starts the better.
When you have poor protection and a lot of inconvienced users the secret of how to get the data and make the game start massivly quicker isn't going to stay hidden for long.
If you could use the other options without the packing it would be a better product IMO.

By way of demonstration, he emitted a batlike squeak that was indeed bothersome.
ReNZor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2006 19:52
@the_winch

Stop giving hints dude...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 17:25:13
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 17:25:13