Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Shadows Gate, demo might be in the soon forecast...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2003 16:00 Edited at: 25th Jul 2003 13:58
As you all know, I'm the owner of the new Multiplayer RPG Game in Development called, Shadows Gate: Multiplayer, which is the first game in development in the Shadows Gate series. We are getting things done amazingly fast and a demo of SG won't be too far off.

You can check out the main site: http://www.gpinteractive.com/shadowsgate/

You can check out the forums: http://www.gpinteractive.com/shadowsgate/forums/

A new pic of a SG character:

*Note* character you see above gives off a "boxy" look...this look is NOT in the in-game models...the in-game models are perfectly rounded to reality body figures.

Old pic of testing environment and testing characters(not character that you see above):

Things are coming along great and I just thought I should keep you all updated on it. Feel free to post comments, questions, or suggestions.

**NOTICE**
I took down the previous screenshot images..but you may view the newest images and model shots on page 2. Enjoy!

Sincerely,
Jordan "Element" Parsons
Co-Owner, GP Interactive | Owner, Shadows Gate

SG=Shadows Gate
http://www.gpinteractive.com/shadowsgate/
New RPG game coming to you from GP Interactive
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2003 22:18
There is clearly some talent in your team. I see from the forums you are aiming to create an MMORG?

I wish you all the best with that, it's certainly the best quality character graphics i've seen in a DB MMORG project to date although I confess that's not much of a compliment but it is meant as one

The concept art for the Ogre looks like it's a direct take on EA & GW's Dark Omen right down to the striped trousers, belt buckle and the angle he's holding the club at!... clearly an original drawing, but not hard to see where the inspiration was

The in game shot isn't showing much though, i'm guessing the scenery is still being worked on? Seems to be a single matrix texture affair with limited view range or is that just because it's 5am gametime ?

Pneumatic Dryll, Outrageous epic cleric of EQ/Xev
God made the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
Element
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2003 23:33 Edited at: 28th Mar 2003 23:34
Thanks for your comments.

Yup, MMORPG. I believe its the first one made in DB/DBP if im not mistaken. So it should be pretty interesting to see where it takes us and how the community will react once they are already fully playing the game.

our concept artist got his idea for how the ogre should look from WarHammer actually but he didn't copy it, although everything else he has drawn that you see on the website as been out of his imagination and talent.

Quote from Pneumatric:"I wish you all the best with that, it's certainly the best quality character graphics i've seen in a DB MMORG project to date although I confess that's not much of a compliment but it is meant as one"

Hahaha...thanks for the compliment...but you know as for any multiplayer game(esspecially a MMORPG), polygons you have to be anal about...it's some of the best we could do with the least amount of polygons. The Single Player version(SG: Place of Seclusion) we can actually relax with the polygons..hehe.

Quote from me:"Old pic of testing environment and testing characters"

yup....the in-game shot sucks...flat matrix aswell...it was an old testing environment we had up for testing...we are working on taking the 2d world map and implementing that into a real-time 3d matrix, once we get that done we will start working on each town, each dungeon, each place, down to the last tree, so be ready for some promising screenshots.

also you cannot see the view of range cause of the time of day(5:40am)...we have a time engine built in that is pretty accurate with colors, so you would be able to see better at another time of day.

Thanks for you comments, keep them coming guys.

Sincerely,
Jordan "Element" Parsons

SG=Shadows Gate
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2003 23:47
I wonder if your project would benefit from a marriage with my Terrascape project? I've got screenies and a demo on my website (click WWW below) which you might find interesting.

Also I did a fractal dungeon generator much similar to the dungeon tutorial only on steroids - it's in a reply to a thread in the 2D forum on map editors: http://www.darkbasicpro.com/apollo/view.php?t=6106&b=4. The full source is there for dungeon generation but I didn't include a 3D display system, you might be interested. /shrug

Indeed you arn't the first DB MMORG yet, you will be IF you finish it, but at the moment you are somewhere amongst the 800 or so others in the Team Requests section , the difference with yours is you have something to show, and more importantly - it isn't "DB Final Fantasy MMORG Project No. #593" ! OMG YAY!

I've also been keen to work on an MMORG, but have long since taken the view that they are expensive to set up and maintain and therefor not really the realm of the hobbyist, they pretty much have to be commercial affairs to stand any chance of survival - as you seem to be a more considered team of developers I wonder what your thoughts are on this?

Element
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2003 00:24
Quote from Pneumatic:"Indeed you arn't the first DB MMORG yet, you will be IF you finish it, but at the moment you are somewhere amongst the 800 or so others in the Team Requests section , the difference with yours is you have something to show, and more importantly - it isn't "DB Final Fantasy MMORG Project No. #593" ! OMG YAY!"

Cheers to that...I've seen sooooo many attempts at a DB FF...but they all have good intensions....right?

Quote from Pneumatic:"I've also been keen to work on an MMORG, but have long since taken the view that they are expensive to set up and maintain"

Mostly they are only expensive for the servers...and paying for the bandwidth of them....other than that, it's just any other game.

Your project "Terrascape", looks very good. Love the tank and banshee models aswell. Please explain more in detail about the "marriage" idea between my game and yours.

P.S. Ill take a look at that dungeon generator.

Sincerely,
Jordan "Element" Parsons

SG=Shadows Gate
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2003 00:49
Sorry I can't claim credit for the tank it's from Dark Matter. The Banshee models on the web page are all Nicks work, my models do appear in various games of ours, but generally I keep quiet about it just as Nick doesn't shout too much about his coding!

Perhaps we should move to email to talk about possibilities, there'd be a lot to discuss I feel. You can gleam an awful lot about plans for the project from our forums and specifically this announcement thread: http://pub18.bravenet.com/forum/fetch.php?id=10033026&usernum=1475608139 which should give you a better understanding of what I am aiming to achieve.

My email is: thane@globalnet.co.uk

the architect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2003 01:12
Element,

I see your website is considerable. Howabout creating more extensive background notes and then "liscensing " other DB users.

"liscensing " as in giving permission if the game falls within your universe.

Afterall we have free software, cheap software, free models, textures and the lot but we lack some good background developement, like Star Wars, Star Trek or Warhammer. People buy games merely because they are within these surroundings.

Element
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2003 01:41 Edited at: 29th Mar 2003 02:17
[erased post text for misunderstanding]

SG=Shadows Gate
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2003 01:45
No I think he meens creating a more expansive background like the Warhammer world or Rolemaster Universe and licensing that.

To be honest though, you have to have a successful game in that world before you could license it...

Element
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2003 01:54 Edited at: 29th Mar 2003 02:14
Ahh...yup...misread..just got what he said...lol...sorry guys...ive had a workload on my shoulders...gotta get to work in a few hours again too...so if I sound a bit off...you know why

We are thinking about that licensing part.

We are hoping that Shadows Gate: Multiplayer will be a foot in the door of the bigger game industry and get our name to be a little more familiar with everybody and our name more into the world. I dont know..we shall see what happens in the future...God works in mysterious ways...lets see what He has planned for us eh?

SG=Shadows Gate
Element
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2003 01:59
If Shadows Gate: Multiplayer goes according to plan we will make Shadows Gate: Place of Seclusion(Single Player) marketed in stores and I'm trying to score a meeting with EA and Sierra for publishing purposes.

SG=Shadows Gate
Element
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2003 02:24
And Pneumatic, I read the information on Terrascape....you have some amazing ideas and alot of potential. We could move this to email if you'd like..my email is:

jordanp@gpinteractive.com

Sincerely,
Jordan "Element" Parsons

SG=Shadows Gate
Eponick
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, this looks very interesting

Cant wait ^_^

Element
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2003 11:32
Glad you're interested!

If anybody has any questions about the game itself that you would like me to answer or if you have any comments about it, post them up. I love to get feedback

Sincerely,
Jordan "Element" Parsons

SG=Shadows Gate
darkCorridor
Years of Service
User Offline
i think theres been one MMORPG in DB/DBP called elven rule but its dead now

[br]mikey
Element
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2003 13:10
really? I wasnt sure if there was a game that was completed that was a MMORPG made in DB/DBP.

SG=Shadows Gate
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2003 04:34
I can't wait for the demo.

Screw morrowind this game is gonna have multiplayer!!

good job with the game and keep it up!

I love games
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2003 15:38
i'm sure given time you can get meetings with EA or Sierra for them to help finance - however right now you should make priority of cleaning it upto have that "look" appeal.
I mean EA already have 3 Major MMO games on the net - Earth&Beyond; TheSimsOnline; Ultima Online ... you'd have alot of incompany competition from people who've been doing this alot longer.

Remember the backbone of a good MMORPG is good network code and interaction for the players. Neither of those are what DarkBasic is particularlyl reknown for... so some serious work ahead to make sure you can strike any deals.

The best chance you'll have is getting a working Beta Online ASHAP!
Getting in a fancy graphics artist as well would be a major plus, because the coders work on some nice gameplay and netplay - the artists give the game the finess that appeals to the punter who goes "yeah, that looks good i'll try it!"

it is some serious work getting together an MMO game, and i don't believe alot of people really understand how much stress really goes into the network code - plus the game engine must be flexible enough to handle over the maximum polylimit without much painful slugging. Working with Server and Client versions (which will be very different internally) is also something you'll have to get used to quickly.
However i'm sure come the first stress test you'll learn this quick (^_^)

good luck

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Element
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2003 16:07
We have already made Server and Client Versions. Tested them both and they work great(although previous tests have been "stress" tests..lol). Multiplayer works, tested it out on serveral different windows versions, different pc configs(on DIFF comps). I'm finishing up the GUI at the moment, and we are working on making real-time 3d world from the 2d multiplayer world map. Also, we are finishing up the inventory engine(which is going fantastic!) and sorting out the battle engine coding details, which is going great aswell.

We have ran serveral developer tests along with some private beta testing. Works great for the testers, and they seemed happy.

Demo version that I will release will be exciting to see how much the DB community and other communities, that play the game, like it.

As far as publishing goes...I'm pretty knowledgeable and familiar with the publishing environment and how publishings are accomplished, set, and signed.
That said, I'm not trying to rush into game publishing for the multiplayer version(that is made in DBP), let alone having publishing(MP version) in our future planning.

The Single Player version(Shadows Gate: Place of Seclusion) is the only game I am going to try to get fully published by another company(pref. EA or Sierra). That game I will be developing after the Shadows Gate: Multiplayer picks up and after I take a little break to sit back, relax and focus on making that game better with constant updates. I will develope Shadows Gate: Place of Seclusion in C++ and by then I will have almost completed getting my bach. degree in computer science.

Thanks for the comments and interest in Shadows Gate: Multiplayer! Keep the comments coming and as always I will post my thoughts and answers.

Sincerely,
Jordan "Element" Parsons

SG=Shadows Gate
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2003 22:24
Very nice looking concept art, site and screenshots.
I suppose you will improve the graphics in the screenshot right? I mean, they are ok but to give it a polished look you might want to try giving the caste a real floor, and maybe place a few trees/plants outside the castle. A barrel or some scattered hay would finish off the interior. But you new that already

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kousen Dev Progress >> Currently Working On Editors
Element
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2003 00:11
lol...yes raps ...that was our testing world we put up...real world and demo world we will have hundreds of trees, tons of little detailed objects to fill the world up. Bags, barrels, carts, boxes..etc..

Thanks for the compliments.

Sincerely,
Jordan "Element" Parsons

SG=Shadows Gate
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2003 00:45
How many people do you plan to have on one server?

note: keep up the good work

Clans of our Galaxy
A new space simulation coming in 2004 -yellow-
Element
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2003 01:37
If we can...it will be the max that DBP will allow...which is 256...we've had tons of players on at once already and it caused no lag(even with them moving around and doing there own thing, no lag)...we would like to test it out with 50-100 people though.....so id like to see how this demo plays out once we release it.

SG=Shadows Gate
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2003 02:25
Hey if you need a beta tester I'm all ears (hehe)

Clans of our Galaxy
A new space simulation coming in 2004 -yellow-
Element
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2003 02:40
...thanks for your offer. If we do run another private beta test ill keep you in mind

SG=Shadows Gate
Element
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2003 07:11 Edited at: 1st Apr 2003 07:11
Inventory Engine has been completed. Next we are working on 2d map image to real-time 3d world, finishing up the GUI, inserting villages-towns-dungeons and castles into the game, and then finally the battle engine. After that, we should be ready for the demo after a few touch ups with the code, collision, AI, and quest following.

This should be an interesting turn of events

SG=Shadows Gate
Element
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2003 05:10 Edited at: 11th Apr 2003 05:48
Screenshots will be released soon of more advanced in-game play. Looking good so far.

SG=Shadows Gate
Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2003 03:12
hey if u need good network code im working on battle.net faking Tutorial(Acts like Battle.net)

Artifact Basic-5%
Epic Crossings RPG-25%
Element
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2003 06:18
explain a little more in detail what you're working on/offering Eddie Thanks

Sorry for the small comment, I'm just heading off to work. I'll be back later on tonight..talk to everybody later. Take care.

SG=Shadows Gate
Element
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2003 01:39
interesting...so you are working on a code that works like battle.net...impressive...how far along is it?

SG=Shadows Gate
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2003 01:40
What's the update on the status of Shadow Gate?

(Current)-making plans for a game-
(progress)-Should have demo in 6 months latest-
(misc.)-All other projects cancelled for now-
Element
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2003 12:15 Edited at: 30th Apr 2003 12:15
We have a new ogre monster model coming along...I'm having to retexture it cause the 20 min UVMap and texturing that I set up, wasnt good enough for me

The new texture is coming along great though. I'll post screenshots of that soon.

Next test will contain:

Promising Changes
-GUI
-Inventory Engine
-Partial Battle Engine and Animations
-Test Buildings(no cities/towns/villages until we finally finish off the matrix[land] implementation to make it look exactly like the world map)
-Chat

Possible Changes
-Less-Lag Engine Finished Off
-Running
-Torches in your hand to see at night better
-Picking up items and dropping(interacts with the better inventory engine)

SG=Shadows Gate
Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 02:34 Edited at: 5th May 2003 02:38
Ok my code will allow someone to login to an account check for games and login to public chat channels without an active server to clean up unavailable games, and its almost done i was working on it in the demo but it expired and im ordering the full. i was making a tutorial on how to setup the whole thing but i forgot to post it.

o yeah its for my MMORPG i am working so u do have some competion
x-d but im willing to share the code i wanted to wait for the screenshots to be done but im making my post right now.

Artifact Basic-5%
Epic Crossings RPG-25%
Element
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 23:56
lol...well you're on...The Clash of the MMORPG's

SG=Shadows Gate
Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2003 02:36
Good a little competition on our MMORPGs will be good.

Artifact Basic-5%
Epic Crossings RPG-25%
Element
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2003 15:15
sounds good to me ..lol

SG=Shadows Gate
Cras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2003 17:18
id be happy to see one of them finished... mmorpgs or even rpgs have a habit of just disappearing on db forums
UberTuba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2003 19:06
Its because they take so long

Life is a terminal disease.
You never survive it.
Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2003 10:51
hey ive almost got a beta at the moment but noone comments on my post

Artifact Basic-5%
Epic Crossings RPG-25%
Cras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2003 01:57
ill go long for it and make a comment just for you wheres this demo then? this thread is really old now... deja vu
Element
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2003 12:35
heres a pic of the new monster we have:

and the demo isnt out yet...we ran into some problems with our engine code and that set us back a little bit...so we are currently making the new engine faster, more stable, and environment MUCH more clear than we had it...shouldnt take too long now though..heh.

While this post is old..hehe..it still seems to stay active..lol..I guess I will take that as a compliment

SG=Shadows Gate
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2003 23:42
MMORPGs tend to need to have really empty enviorments for any decent kind of speed, even commercial ones. I laughed when I saw Shadowbane screenshots-- man, those are bloody barren landscapes !

Of course, then there's the superexpensive ones like EQ2 which require a devil f a machine to run ...

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2003 04:30
Mouse:I thought the same thing with shadowbane.Yeah it would be cool to have like 30 people battling at once, but you would need a super fast machine to run on to avoid lots of lag.

Element:Nice model,(my compliments to you or whoever made it)

I eagerly await Shadowgate and check the site daily for new content, for I have high hopes that this will be the first truly mmorpg for dbp.

(Current)-Game entering concept art stages-
(misc.)-Started modeling buildings and other objects-
Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2003 18:59
I feel disapointed this post has more posts than mine and mines an MMORPG as well. Although i do have good code for my MMORPG i need input. i like your game concept sounds like a winner to me! x-d

Artifact Basic-5%
Epic Crossings RPG-25%
Element
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2003 07:12 Edited at: 25th May 2003 07:13
Glad you check out the website yellow, and others that check it out aswell, I appreciate it and thank you for all your support.

And thank you for the compliment on the monster model, that's an actual in-game monster look, so you can see the quality of this game ...we have all of our modelling team working hard.

I'm in the process of remaking the ENTIRE website aswell...the new layout is getting REALLY good and should be all up by the end of the week if all goes well.

SG=Shadows Gate
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2003 07:07
Eddie do you have a website that I can check out to see your project?

Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2003 16:02
not yet mine is really messed up

Artifact Basic-5%
Epic Crossings RPG-25%
Element
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2003 10:28
eh...The sites not finished but I thought I'd let you all enjoy the layout process and get a little sneak peak of the new website layout..it's coming along...enjoy...heh

http://www.gpinteractive.com/shadowsgate/newsglayout2/index2.htm

SG=Shadows Gate
Panzer Network
Years of Service
User Offline
To Element,
We at www.panzer-network.com like your game and are willing to help you get the word and what not out on it please e-mail me for more info at

BlackKnightsTJ@aol.com

well, I belive this game can go pretty far with the right paths and I am willing to help for free.
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2003 01:48
Very attractive webpage

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 09:36:07
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 09:36:07