Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / bump maping in bsp style of doom3?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
1 question,i am begginer in dark basic pro, and i am in project of a quake shooter

how can i use bump maping in a bsp level (for example created with world craft) ? how i can asign the 2 textures (normal and bump) to a wall?

i like to use bump mapping in the style of doom3, it is possible in dark basic pro? how?

thaks for replys
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2002 00:37
Doom3 doesn't use bump mapping - the worlds are pure polygons with pixel textures... and trust me all of the effects take a hellofalot more coding ability to pull off than this whole forum could musta (sorry if anyone fells offended)

As for the bump mapping, is quite a skilled effect to pull off properly - especially real-time with multiple light sources.

If i were you i would put the thoughs of making advanced effects in the - once the game is complete todo list, and sit down and work on the actual FPS. Even though DBpro now makes it easier than ever to develop one, there is skill alot more coding that goes into them than you'd relise.

Just work on the basic, if in a few months time when there is a demo of your fps out and it plays well - then you can ask again and get a decent answer

Holy jumping mother of god NOOOO!!!...
Ahem I mean, I'll think about it
neoxxx
Years of Service
User Offline
yea, but you can give to me a basic example of how i can apply bumpmaping in a bsp file, y only need a example in a cube room, because i am lost!
please

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2002 06:22
well you can't do it within bsp direct without making a DLL within C/C++ that can alter the render of the textures once projected onto the bsp world, which would require knowing the render setup within the DBpro DLL which handles the bsp...
Althought Lee would probably be willing to show an example of howto access it, then getting in an bump mapping of this nature would be very tricky and not recommended until DBpro is more stable itself!

However if you develop the world as a form of BSP which is rendered within DBpro itself - then to bump map a surface is quite a simple matter, yet the calculations are complex and very processor consuming

if you really want to achieve it then i'll see about writing up a small demo of bump mapping...
but please make sure you have the rest of the game done and this demo will only help for you to understand how bump mapping works not howto achieve it as a plugin for bsp!

neoxxx
Years of Service
User Offline
yes please, write a small demo of bump maping in a bsp, we are a small group of people and we buyed dbpro for this feature and the new effects of shadows (vertex and pixels),

please, this effect is "indispensable" for the game that we are planing

Hubdule
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2002 18:19
Currently it is not possible to set bumpmapping to BSP Level.

neoxxx
Years of Service
User Offline
and if i make the level in 3d studio max, with the textures, i can apply the bump maping? how i can attach
the texture that makes the bump effect to the normal
texture??

thanks

please, this is vital to the project that we are making

neoxxx
Years of Service
User Offline
anyone can reply? please

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2002 10:11
alot of people here won't know how bump even works let alone howto help out... please be patient and you won't be disappointed!

i'm not sure how bump mapping can be a premium feature in a game though, it should be used to add realism - nothing else really.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 18:56:17
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 18:56:17