Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / File Hosting Service

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
After searching the forum, and going to multiple file hosting servers to download the great things the community makes and lets everyone have, I got tired of having to click multiple links, popups, toolbars and such....

SO..

I am willing to offer my hosting service for free if anyone wants to use it to upload for the community.

I will do all the html for it, with SOME limitations..

only 2 screenshots per file uploaded will be allowed..
only FPSC READY files will be allowed..
I will place your items in an apprpriate directory based on description..
All files must be compressed in a ZIP or RAR format - NO EXE's..

Let me know if this is a better option than everyone having to find places to host files.

Kinda my way of paying back to the community for all the great items I have seen and downloaded.
Rick123
Years of Service
User Offline
Is there a space limit? Does the server run off your own computer?
Stamina
Years of Service
User Offline
The server is not hosted on my computer,,,and I am going to limit the files to 50-75 megs per file.

I have unlimited space and bandwidth on the host I use, so I thought maybe I could put it to some good use for those that have the talent to produce things valuable for the community.
Rick123
Years of Service
User Offline
Is it a free host? What is the host's name?
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2006 01:21
50 to 75 hardly will work for a good game... but I ask most everyone why we don't use the TGC Forum for uploads? No charge, just a little time and patience... although the downspeed is pretty lame (I record around 168)

We all have our inner noob. Join the NJL, and have more fun!
I believe society is flawed; our notions on life, on child rearing, stem too far back to be of relevance in this day and time.
Stamina
Years of Service
User Offline
What do you mean is it a free host? I pay for the host server as I use it for something else as well, but I have unlimited space and bandwidth, so I am willing to use it for the community as well.

There will be no charge for users, so in a sense, it will be free to the community. You are free to upload the files for free, and download them for free. I will take care of the html and create the directory and thumbnails.

FREE FREE FREE

Hope that answers your question...
Stamina
Years of Service
User Offline
Merranvo - "50 to 75 hardly will work for a good game"

I wasnt intending it to be used for games,,I think that should stay in the showcase. I was offering it for people who make things for use in FPSC since it seems that everytime I download something someone is giving the community, I have to go to one of those free file hosting sites.

Just thought this would be an easy way for everyone to be able to have a server to put usable files on and people could put it in their favorites or bookmark and they would always know where users files were uploaded to, and could check back for updates all from 1 website.
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2006 01:40
As stated in the same post, stanima, the Apollo upload thingy covers MORE then enough for our media needs, it just is slow up and download... but it is stable and will allways be there (for 2 more years at least).

Now, uploading to an external server is fine, but if it is being offered as an ALTERNATIVE to uploading to the board, then it should not be done.

The reason being is that although a resource site is good while it is up, if the content is not hosted on a server which is stable, then if it goes down we will lose thousands of hours of work... and not all members stay around to rehost their files.

So in this respect I say external hosting is a bad measure, I also ask others why they are hosting files on external sites instead of Apollo? The file uploader, although slow, works and I recently uploaded a 10mb file in only 2 min... it isn't that bad. Just a bit slow.

So as a resource site, there is no problem, but as a unstable replacment for the boards... it's your choice.

I believe society is flawed; our notions on life, on child rearing, stem too far back to be of relevance in this day and time.
Stamina
Years of Service
User Offline
No it is not being offered as an "Alternative" to the board,,just another source if anyone wishes to use it.

The server I am using has had an uptime of 99%, and I do daily backups of everything.

My intention wasnt to suggest that everyone start uploading files to share on MY server space, I just though I would offer a place for people to put files to share if they wished. Sorry if it was implied as anything other than that.
ReNZor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2006 01:57 Edited at: 5th Jun 2006 01:59
I wish i could say my server has a 100% uptime.. but my DNS server crashed so i cannot reach it (needs to be rebooted)... (that's why some of my images, used on the forums arn't working)

Nice to see you want to share some space. Hope it's a fast line too
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2006 02:09
Sorry if you missunderstood stamina, but I was thinking of the possibility that the server goes down after 6 to 12 months. It is a fact that a large amount of FPSC Resource Sites go up and down like wyld fire. FPS Files which has been around quite sometime may be down permantly. FPSCreators didn't even last through EA...

The idea is great for those who suffer from using the apollo uploader. I do hate it when someone hosts something on one of those never working free upload download sites... but I fear what might happen later.

Either way, if anything, at least this will stop my computer from getting spywared after checking out other peoples stuff. It will be great while it lasts. Even greater if it lasts the full year. And superior if you keep it up for all time [cue diablo ii music here]

Stamina
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2006 02:15 Edited at: 5th Jun 2006 02:16
well,,I have it paid for already for the next year,,so unless I am a complete trailor park, beagle totin, toothless wife using neck, ( which btw I am not), it will be there...lol

1 reason I was offering is because I have attempted to upload a trailer for my game I am working on 6 times so far to using the apollo, which says it has a 50mb limit, and my movie of 4.87mb says it has exceeded the file size limit..lol.

Using the browse way, I get a CGI error. So frustration is half the reason. The other bieng stated by you, those free file servers have a host of items that get on your computer sometimes.

So as stated, it's an offer if anyone wishes to use it. Basically the way I figured I would work it is to have the information posted here and they could link to the download on my server which would just open up a download window and not have a site at all.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 19:18:32
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 19:18:32