Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Forum Sugestion:

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2006 20:59
Well the new mods are in place and all are very active. I seen Keith say in a post of Higgens that he'd stick his tutorial till an "all encompasing" thread can be made for it.

I dont see why there isnt a tutorials section like theres a "models and media" or "Fpsc Chat".

Having a section devoted to all the woes that concern the forum members seems simple enough. Maybe even having subforums devoted to scripting/texturing/modeling would make things even more orginized( but im not sure what forum software they use here or if thats possible).

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2006 21:46
Its a good idea Locrian, but you have to remember, the FPSC forums are full of kids and a few brain dead older people, who dont care where they post.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2006 22:37 Edited at: 8th Jun 2006 22:37
If needed additonal forums to help with efficiency if thats the term that should be used would be helpful at any forum if they do just that. However its a little more complicated than that at TGC forums - new specific forums would need to be fully justified and they have to be set up, managed and administered. All a lot of work for someone.

I am sure that TGC are prepared to look continuously at providing valuable and useful real improvements all round. Good suggestions dont go unoticed.

Give things some time and who knows.

I dont see the FPSC forums going back to bad habits so I would not worry too much about that.

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2006 03:24
Go down to general chat in rich's thread...

Suggest it there.

We all have our inner noob. Join the NJL, we have more fun!
I believe society is flawed; our notions on life, on child rearing, stem too far back to be of relevance in this day and time.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2006 14:02
I moved this to the general forum.

And in the same vein suggest that TGC could consider adding a new Chit Chat forum here for general topics unrelated to FPSC or game making.

Currently we dont have one though it might be a good idea to add one at some stage if its considered to be practical or possible.

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2006 14:18 Edited at: 9th Jun 2006 14:19
Uman, I noticed you also said this in the "Age" thread previously.

However, really, Geek Culture is a "chit chat" forum--after all, it used to be called "General Talk".

Of course, it needs to be within the realms of sanity and general relativity, though I never though "Geek Culture" was a good rename, especially since things don't actually need to be about "Geek Culture" to be in there.

Of course, if you mean one in the FPSC boards section itself, there's really little reason for it--after all, GC isn't in the DBC/DBP section, so there's not much reason to have another board in this section if it's unrelated to FPSC.

Evil has a new name. Demo out now!
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2006 14:54
Jiffy,

Personally I am not getting into a long debate over this so this is the last post I will make on this subject here.

This Forum : "Product Chat" is for talk about the FPSC product and game making and nothing else. Is not a general chat forum in any other sense.

Any post that does not fall within the any of the published guidlines at any of the FPSC forums will be dealt with appropriately.

Thats the choices for members here at the moment.

That will suit some but not others. If those others find that restrictive and want somewhere that they can discuss a broader range of issues then its a matter for TGC if thats to be considered at all.

Using various names to disguise or categorise content is irrelevant - call it what you like - the forum guidlines, the point and the message is clear. At least I hope it is.

Some game engine boards have a forum "general chat - talk about anything you like" type others dont. What TGC forums have is a matter for TGC.

I will work within the paramaters they set and mod the forums accordingly.

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2006 17:02 Edited at: 9th Jun 2006 17:17
Apologies, Uman, if I sounded in any way harsh or "mean".

That said, I'm quite unclear at exactly what you are implying--I was lead to believe that you felt that the TGC forum as a whole did not include any board for which a user can talk about subjects of a theme other than game making, or, more specifically, FPSC.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by:
Quote: "Any post that does not fall within the any of the published guidlines at any of the FPSC forums will be dealt with appropriately.

Thats the choices for members here at the moment."

I wasn't implying that threads irrelevant to FPSC should be allowed in the FPSC Boards, if that's what you thought. What I did mean, however, was that the TGC boards as a whole, including every board on the "Forums" page, has a "General Chat" forum--"Geek Culture", which is located at the bottom of the Forum page. The name was merely something that TGC used to imply that threads, although allowed to be not game-making based, had to be within a generalised field. Quoted from the description of the board itself:

Quote: "This high volume board is for all geek / tech culture related threads not specific to game making. If it's off-topic but adheres to our AUP, it goes in here."

As I stated previously, I'm still not positive as to your intentions for a "Chit Chat" forum, due to the fact that Geek Culture is exactly that. I wasn't saying that your modding was in any way unjust (the "age" thread needed to be locked for both the reason that stating age is inappropriate and that FPSC unrelated topics don't belong in the FPSC section), I was merely saying that TGC already have a "chit chat" board of sorts, Geek Culture, located at the very bottom of the Forum page.

Again, apologies if we're on seperate levels as to the meaning of our posts. I, like you, don't want to get into some sort of "debate" as to this, and am fine with this discussion being left as is.

EDIT: Re-reading your post, I think you have been lead to believe that, when I referred to "Geek Culture", I was referring to "Product Chat", which I wasn't. Geek Culture is, as far as I'm concerned, the general talk forum at the bottom of the forum page, and nothing else. FPSC Product Chat, on the other hand, is an FPSC-specific board for posts of exactly that nature.

EDIT II: Sorry if the post sounds slightly butchered, I edited some parts to make it more clear that Geek Culture is not Product Chat, provided that's what you meant. Like I already touched on, the reference to the "age" thread wasn't attacking your modding, it was saying that the TGC boards already have a General Talk forum (in reference to your suggestion of a "chit chat" board), as I've said more than enough, at the bottom of the Forum page. In fact, I've been overwhelmingly pleased with your modding abilities and find that you've been incredibly unbiased, just and a valuable member of this community.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2006 17:29 Edited at: 9th Jun 2006 17:50
Jiffy,

No offense meant and no offense taken. I take posts and yours above in particular in good spirit as it was meant to be. No apology necessary - I did not need one........

"I am and forever will be your friend".

I fully understand what you are saying of course.

All my comments in FPSC forums regarding forums, refer to matters relating to FPSC forums alone and nowhere else.

"No other comment".

"I am and forever will be your friend"
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2006 01:09
Uman,

Good to know that all is good and well. I suppose I was under the false impression that you were talking about the TGC boards as a whole, instead of the FPSC forums themselves (which makes sense, considering you moderate here). Fair enough.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2006 03:41
I don't think there are quite enough tutorials out there (FPSC related) that would warrant an entirely new forum board, therefore a definite "sticky" would be the way to go right now. But, as Uman pointed out, it is something that TGC looks at, and it could be something to be considered in the future. Now we just have to agree on what is relevant in the proposed tutorial sticky.

-Keith

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2006 05:22
Jiffy,

You got it.

I try to be fair. If I am not - you let me know.

"I am and forever will be your friend"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 19:25:10
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 19:25:10