Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Just how good is FPS Creator?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2006 19:50
Ok, im a wee bit sceptical of this, so bear with me.

Ive been doing 3D for about 7-8 months or so, can make some ok stuff, but any way, ill stay on topic.
Ive always wanted to make a 3D game, dont really know why, but i have heh. So, i started hnting for engines.

Now basicly, i have absolutely no coding experience what so ever, i can do a wee bit of HTML and an ok amount of actionscript (flash) but thats about as far as it goes.
So i downloaded an engine called Irrlicht, aparently its easy to learn.
"Exelent" said I, "Just what i need"

I couldnt even get the "hello world" thing working...

At this point i decided to abandon that plan ^^

Id heard good and bad things about FPS Creator, all the people who can code say its awful, all the people who cant code say it rocks, being the latter i decided to take a look

Well i must say im impressed, the only thing that really worries me is how "customisable" it will be.

so, my question to you all (finally ^^);

How much can i change? if i want a room thats Pink and has my own custom textures on it, with my own custom models in it, with custom weapons, decent AI and customisable sound, will that realisticly happen?

oh, and can i have cutscenes? so say a player walks into a set area (i watched the demo heh), can i then have a cutscene come up, with my own video?

Well thats about it, probably a wee bit long winded, but ahh well, im sure youll all live
but yea, if someone could answer this, it would be much appreciated, cant wait to finally make a decent looking game

Pfft, i dont need a PS sig to be amazing, its in my blood.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2006 20:11
You can change just about everything in FPSC,including just about everything you mentioned.Cutscenes are possible (check out AE's thread "How to do just about everything for FPSC at the top of this forum for info on making cutscenes).You can amke and add your own segments,models,a.i.,etc.

LewisM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2006 20:18
wow, sounds pretty good

and ive been looking at some examples in the showcase, some are quite good heh, i guess a lot of it is all down to textures needing to look very good.

but thanks, i think ill get the trial ^^

code master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2006 20:59 Edited at: 12th Jun 2006 21:00
It's going to take some work getting custom stuff in though, but once you've done a couple of times, it's a no-brainer. Alternitively, there are a number of freecheap 'importers' that get your custom media setup for use in FPSC. Among them are:

Weapon Creator $15.00 USD

Entity Creation System $5.00 USD

Weapon Creation System EA $8.00 USD

Entity Maker FREE

Decal Maker FREE

Entity Creation System lite FREE

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2006 21:07
Check out www.uberdroid.com.You will find Magic FPS,Gravematter, and some other cool stuff there.
www.OzarkGames.com has some FPSC related stuff.

MR useless
Years of Service
User Offline
fpsc can be the esias thing to use, yet if you any good at coding u can totaly redue what things do..

its like db with the skeltoin already set up, all you have to do is add shine.

tird of the same boring games, well then buy a cocon game and elemanate your bordem
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2006 21:46
You're also welcome to check out my website, it's got a completely customized game on it called Commander Josh. You can check out screenshots, a video and play the demo (or even get the full game), http://www.gamefun4u.nl/page9.html

Except for the cutscene it has everything you mentioned in it. Custom textures, custom models, new weapons, custom sounds, custom scripts and even a new AI, it's all in the game.

You customize about anything you want in FPSC. I've been creating games for years now and imo FPSC is very innovative. Useable for beginners out of the box, yet powerfull enough for advanced users also. If you learn how the engine works and set your mind to learning scripting, you can have lot's of fun with it and even create something decent.

You're not going to create the next half-life or quake, but let's be honest, which engine will let you do that without spending ton's of money. Still, when it comes to FPS games (and even some other fps related game types) it can easily compete with the other game engines in it's price range ($0-$200).

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2006 22:28
LewisM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2006 23:12
Quote: "It's going to take some work getting custom stuff in though, but once you've done a couple of times, it's a no-brainer. Alternitively, there are a number of freecheap 'importers' that get your custom media setup for use in FPSC. Among them are:

Weapon Creator $15.00 USD

Entity Maker FREE

Decal Maker FREE

Entity Creation System lite FREE"

hmm, so do i have to buy those add ons to be able to add stuff? or can i just change code, make my own animations ect?

Quote: "You're also welcome to check out my website, it's got a completely customized game on it called Commander Josh. You can check out screenshots, a video and play the demo (or even get the full game), http://www.gamefun4u.nl/page9.html"

thats pretty cool heh, for things like the dialog box coming up at the start of a mission, is that all build in?

sorry about all the questions, just want to know what im letting mself in for heh

BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2006 01:37
Quote: "Weapon Creator $15.00 USD

Entity Maker FREE

Decal Maker FREE

Entity Creation System lite FREE""

all those programs are is just taking what you could do by hand, and doing it really fast. the manual explains almost everything and this forum is filled with tutorials.

http://www.seqoiagames.com/seqoiacorp/
Michael S
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2006 02:35
If you love game making and hate programming this is the engine for you. if you like programing and like game makeing get FPS Creator or Dark Basic. If you dont know how to program and want a very simple engine get FPS Creator. Besides a few bugs this software wont dissapoint you

jermaine
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2006 02:50
i also could not code worth alick. I started gamemaker, then moved to Truevision3D(once i learned a lil bit of code) then weeks ago moved to 3dGameStudio, and now i'm here.

I must say this engine is very good. Probably the best i used. so far. Though i havent used the scripting with this engine and have not seen any commercial games yet I will be using this engine alot for now on.

Can someone point me to some commercial games made with this engine if there are any?

HI
Commander And Chief
Years of Service
User Offline
I have never used any game creating products and this is my first time really getting into game creating. Will I need to learn anything before getting this program or a different game creating program or will this walk me threw everything
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2006 03:29
The demo is free.Download it and try it.I was hooked instantly.

Razorback
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2006 05:16
I also got hooked on the demo. As a matter of
fact with just five days left before the demo
expired I bought it. I just had to have it.

Photoshop is my friend.
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2006 09:37
Quote: "thats pretty cool heh, for things like the dialog box coming up at the start of a mission, is that all build in?"

No that isn't build in, that's done with a seperate application. FPSC has a simple menu build in, not too advanced at all.

Quote: "hmm, so do i have to buy those add ons to be able to add stuff? or can i just change code, make my own animations ect?
"

No you don't. I haven't used any of them except for signs II, it's free at http://www.fpsconline.com/Products.asp, but a number of signs I even made without using it. You can just change everything by hand, but some of these apps may help you out, especially when you don't know what to do. But you don't need to have them and they for sure have one huge disadvantage, they stop you in learning how to code and create stuff. Some of them aren't even faster at all, if you know what you're doing you can do it much faster manually.

Just an important note with all of the applications... you still need a modeling application if you want to create your own models. Also you will need some paint/photo editing application for textures and such. Most of these apps mentioned will not allow you to create models and textures only convert them for use in FPSC and write the proper scripts for them. That's why you can live without them if you know FPSC. Also as they do not create animated models for you, you need to use a 3D modeling application for that also.

Some of them like signs2 and 3 even more, will create simple models for you, like wall & floor signs and even segments. You just need to pick the textures and the application will do the rest for you.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 21:27:21
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 21:27:21