Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Which is the best RPG game ever made?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 02:55
Well, what's your favorate RPG game?

For me it's got to be Oblivion at the moment, and my second would have to be Diablo and Diablo II, because while it might not be the best 2D RPG ever made, it did set a high standard for others to try and beat, and the very best RPG's have always followed it's format.

Oh and do me a favour, please don't post any "oh not this post again!" the RPG scene changes quite alot, I'm sure there's RPG games out there that others haven't played yet. I'd rather like to discuss their good and bad points.

Anyway Oblivion. Well, it's 3D which makes a bit of a change. It's AI system, while not quite what was advertized, is still pretty good, plus it's physics is impressive. Then of cause theres the graphics! which I can't see, because I can only run it at very low settings. But the story and the sheer amount of dialog more then makes up for choppy framerates on my system. The quest system is frankly amazing, and some of the quests are very creative, the trip into the painting was a nice change of pace. The quest management system is confusing at first, but very good once I got the hang of it, and the combat system feels more realistic then any other RPG I've ever played. It's fun, yet not hack and slash, player skills matters as much as character abilities. It has all the advantages of modern MMO games, with none of the disadvantages of other players, and locked roll the dice combat. The music is movie quaility. Oh, and it's also very, very moderable so alot of community added content to upgrade.

Diablo was amazing for it's time, again a very impressive quest, dialog and storyline system. The graphics and music where and are still very engaging, it's only drawback is overly repetitive combat. Diablo was basically dungon based, but Diablo II, was expanded into larger terrains and provided more variated backgrounds. The cutscenes where much better then the first. Most RPG sequals don't quite hold up against the first, except graphically, but Diablo II took the game to greater heights.

Anyway those are my favorates, what's yours?

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120...
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Chrono Trigger. Final Fantasy Iv. Oblivion. World of Warcraft.

I don't have time to go into details why, maybe later. =P

UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Fallout series, why? I like its humour plus all the neat things you can do.

Once i get my XPS laptop ima put oblivion on it.

Host your site for free www.darkuniverse.net

E-mail UnderLord @ UnderLord AT darkuniverse DOT net
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 03:39
Ultima VII, Part I.

Chrono Trigger.

Come see the WIP!
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 03:48
Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy 8-10(never played 7).

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly Yellow)
Saikoro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 04:00
Ultima, the old school Final Fantasy, the old school Dragon Warriors, and Geisha House =)

Quote: "plus it's physics is impressive."

Lol, have you seen the way you jump in that game?

"One World, One Web, One Program" -Microsoft ad.
"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Führer"(One People, One Kingdom, One Leader)-Adolf Hitler.
Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 04:10
Quote: "Lol, have you seen the way you jump in that game?"

Do you mean that the animations are lame? If so, then you're right, but I can't see what's wrong with the physics when you jump?

But my favourite RPG is Oblivion, too.

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 04:30 Edited at: 14th Jun 2006 04:33
Quote: "Which is the best RPG game ever made? "

My Life

We all have our inner noob. Join the NJL, we have more fun!
I believe society is flawed; our notions on life, on child rearing, stem too far back to be of relevance in this day and time.
TDP Enterprises
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 05:13
Well Kenjar looks like you've still got plenty of time on your hands nowadays, I.E. this thread

But I'd have to agree, my two favorite RPG's are my life and oblivion.

Snow Wars is making its return, check out the Game Design Theory board for more info...
Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
Amen to chrono trigger.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 05:33
Quote: "Ultima, the old school Final Fantasy, the old school Dragon Warriors, and Geisha House =)"

Oh my, you're a saint.

Come see the WIP!
Saikoro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 06:11
Quote: "Do you mean that the animations are lame? If so, then you're right, but I can't see what's wrong with the physics when you jump?"

Have you ever jumped and floated the way that they do? It seems as though gravity just doesnt work.

"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Führer"(One People, One Kingdom, One Leader)-Adolf Hitler.
Dot Merix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 06:36
Double Amen to Chrono Trigger

Nevereverend Slaine
Years of Service
User Offline
My vote is for Fallout I & II, and Elderscrolls III: Morrowind, which I much prefer over Oblivion.

For console RPGs, I'll have to go with the original Phantasy Star, and Dragon Warrior. Although Chrono Trigger and Tales of Phantasia come pretty close.

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 08:43
The Best:
Final Fantasy 7,8,10 - I <3 3d FF
Jade Empire - KOTOR sucked compared to this
Golden Sun - If you have a GBA or DS, GET IT NOW!
Dungeon Siege - Get this on LAN and you can be occupied for hours, it was what we did before Guild Wars came along

Good stuff:
Final Fantasy 6
Crazy Cross
Oblivion
Lufia
Guild Wars
World of Warcraft

You know what RPG pissed me off? Baten Kaitos. It looked so good. Then I got it, and *puke*. I'd turn off the voice overs, but the raw dialog is equally bad, so it's rather pointless. It should have taken a cue from FF10.

I'm going to eat you!
Oddmind
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 08:57
Final Fantasy XI has me hooked online right now, the other ones are great too.

I also like Kingdom hearts and its hybrid RPGness.

formerly KrazyJimmy

I'm the lizard king, I can do anything.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 09:10 Edited at: 14th Jun 2006 09:11
Captive, still play it after 15 years, come back in 2021 and let me know how your WoW characters are doing .

I've succesfully avoided modern RPG's because I'd just play them too much. I did play through Baldurs Gate on XBox, which was great fun in co-op mode.

Aegrescit medendo
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 10:14
oblivion was cool at first, but the best rpg i've played is system shock 2. if that is considered a rpg game. or maybe just a fps with rpg elements if it doesn't count, then the best rpg game i've played is.. um.. well, all rpg games i've played sucked

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 11:06
gateway to apshai

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 11:15
Ultima Underworld 2 was amazing for me. Great story, great characters, conspiracy and betrayal. Amazing tech for its time, and truly scarey. That'll always be a classic. Then it was Diablo/Diablo 2 for me, although I don't regard these as RPGs. There is no roleplaying at all - they're just soulless hack and slash with character upgrading. You don't really play anyone of any substance. Same goes for the Dungeon Siege series, although Dungeon Siege 2 does look amazing. Some of the environments are pretty damn special, which I think is amazing considering there is no lighting on the landscapes (which had to be the case because they're pieced together models).

Fave RPG: Ultima Underworld 2.
Most played: Dungeon Siege 1 (as mentioned above, months worth of gameplay possible on the land), it's just a shame these types of hack and slash are soulless. You enjoy them then start to ask yourself what the hell you're doing, and why you're wasting your time .... and then you pick up a new cool weapon and forget that for a few more hours.

I'll pick up Oblivion at some point.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 11:28 Edited at: 14th Jun 2006 11:28
Ooops. Missed the opportunity on the last post. Here's a screeny of DS2 later on in the game. You can't tell me this doesn't look a bit special and immersive. Feels truly fantasy-esque.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 11:58
Dreamy!

Looks like the sort of thing my son would spend hours in front of my PC playing... best not get it.

Aegrescit medendo
Bongadoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Ultima VII: The Black Gate

I feel sorry for anyone too young to have missed out on the Ultima series. Amazing storylines, and my favourite ever RPG system. Having to translate signs and books yourself, why has no one else done that? Puzzles that tax your brain for more than 2 seconds, is that too much to ask from todays RPGs? And having to write down all the information you get and clues yourself! Okay, I can understand why some people might not like that, but personally I love trawling through notes I've made to find the answer to some riddle or puzzle. And an open world where you can go anywhere. Elder Scrolls gets close, but still misses the mark of genius that Ultima had with Richard Garriott at the helm. I'm slightly biased because my mind is clouded with childhood nostalgic memories, but I can't remember having more fun playing an RPG.
Bahamut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 14:21
My favourite game of all time is FFVIII, closely followed by FFVII. I also love Baldurs Gate II, and Star Ocean: Till the End of Time.

All the other FF's are good too, especially VI, IX and X (in that order).

I'm an RPG freak though. I've spent about 300 hours at least on each of FFVI-X. Still havn't beaten many of the really hard optional bosses though (except in X where I beat a few dark aeons). I just like playing through the stories.

IceBound Melodic rock/metal band with loads of lead guitar, clean female vocals, and more guitars! What more could you want?
Saikoro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 14:35
Quote: "Having to translate signs and books yourself, why has no one else done that?"

Except for the Dungeons and Dragons PC games

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 14:40
Alundra on the PSX, forgot that - a bit strange and retro, but I played through it twice! (never completed it though, kept getting to the last boss then dying). Anyone know what happens at the end with all those dead kiddies? (it's quite a strange RPG, said that didn't I!)

Aegrescit medendo
Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
oh man i forgot about kingdom hearts! Yea that certainly ties for 1st with chrono trigger.

IMO Golden Sun sucked. Not trying to start any flame wars or anything. I just thought it was too spread out, and the fact of going djinn hunting in order to get better combo attacks didn't appeal to me. Also there wasn't a great deal of dialouge. I know there was some, but I need a bit more. I didn't really like the battle system either. Just my opinion at least
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 16:59 Edited at: 14th Jun 2006 17:00
Computer/Console RPG? Oblivion. Any RPG? Dungeons and Dragons. Can't beat pen and paper stuff.

I used to be addicted to Final Fantasy XI, horribly. I quit it two months ago after I realized just how badly addicted I was, among other misc. reasons. I was Avelyn on Lakshmi, Monk 66, Red Mage 52, Warrior 37, and the only thing I miss about the game was the people I met. Oddmind, if I can make one suggestion to you, moderate how much you play that game, and play it the way you see fit, not to other players standards, else it turns into your second job.

AMD64 X2 3800+ | 1 GB Ram | NVIDIA GeForce 6800 128MB
MSVC++ .Net 2003 | BlueJ | Wings3D | CharacterFX | Gimp v2.0
Formerly NWC_Omega
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 17:20
Ultima VII was just right in every way. The world was huge, the combat was fast, character advancement was well integrated. The story was phenomenal, as were the characters. Playing as the Avatar was great, too.

It's still playable, with the Exult engine. I play it a bit every now and then. Especially to research certain behaviors. Still a great game.

Come see the WIP!
French gui
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 20:26
Ultima 7 and Dungeon master (Atari ST) for me.

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 22:32
@Fallout
Holy poopstain! I need to go get that one right now. I'm craving the blood of krugg.

I'm going to eat you!
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 23:12 Edited at: 14th Jun 2006 23:13
Diablo 2 is my favorite.

Dunno what Fallout is blabbing...I thought it was extremly immersive. Single Player is was so-so, but the real magic lay in multiplayer. Party questing, level grinding and magic finding. Interesting items and sets to collect, super cool characters and abilities, and complete very balanced dueling which made grinding seem productive.

Not to mention a consistant and cool graphical look for the whole game, memorable music and character quotes ("Good riddance..freak" - Amazon, Arcane Sanctuary) and yeah...did I meantion awsome dueling?!

Yes, I skipped quite alot of school to feed my D2 addiction. I quit years ago, but the masterpeice of a game still lives on in my head...

WoW ows too much to D2.

It's like a Megaton Cat radar, 24 hours a day.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2006 00:55
But Megs, you find picking your nose immersive. Oooo ... I'm a Level 23 human mucus miner.

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2006 06:00
Don't even get me started on your addiction to human feces.

It's like a Megaton Cat radar, 24 hours a day.
Wandering Swordsman
Years of Service
User Offline
Here are just a 'few' of my favorites:
(In no particular order...)

(PC)
Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss (First RPG I ever played )
Ultima Underworld II: Labyrinth of Worlds (Blast that evil Guardian!)
Ragnarok (It's freeware. It's enhanced version 'Valhalla', is not.)
Fallout (Because it rocked...)
Vampyr: Talisman of Invocation (AKA - Vampyr: The Blue Rose)
Yendorian Tales Book I (No sound? No problem!)
Yendorian Tales Book I: Chapter 2 (Excellent…)

(SNES)
Chrono Trigger <--- Find a cartridge and play it... NOW!!!
Earthbound <--- Haven't played it? FIND IT!
Lufia and the Fortress of Doom (Opening music is brilliant...)
Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrels (A Prequel? Excellent game!)
Final Fantasy IV (What can I do, I'm only a Dark Knight...)
Final Fantasy VI (VANSIH! X-ZONE! ... still good even with that!)

(NES)
Dragon Warrior (If for nothing else then the music, snag it.)

(GB)
Final Fantasy Legend III (AKA - SaGa 3. The Talon's Music Rocks! )

(Genesis)
Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium (Brilliant!)

I'm still working through the Ultima series.
(Currently on: Ultima II: Revenge of the Enchantress. )

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind cost me 80$ ‘new’ (The day it came out)… your invincible by level 4. It’s a pale shadow of The Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall… The gameplay is just to unbalanced. But it is visually ’very’ impressive.) That’s my opinion anyway.

I wish more of today’s RPGs would play like the classics. *Sighs wistfully*

When I dream,
I carry a sword in one hand,
a gun in the other...
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2006 10:11
Quote: "Don't even get me started on your addiction to human feces."

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

*Munch munch belch*

That was a carrot by the way.

Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2006 10:33
Have to go with Wasteland, very old, but still far and away the best RPG I have ever played. I love Diablo II, Liked WOW, Eh on everquest but to me these were never really role playing games other than the fact that you get to customize your character. I liked the early Final fantasy games alot but the later ones are more like a RPmovie just seems like I spent 80% of my time watching cutscenes (which were great) but why not just make the darn thing a movie. Not trying to ruffle any feathers here just my opinions.

Other than that Bards Tale II, some of the early SSI stuff like pool of radiance, hillsfar and dark queen of Krynn. Kind of a time when the focus needed to be on the story and gameplay and not on the chrome that fills most of the games now. I like chrome though (it's shiny)
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2006 11:34
Quote: "Lufia and the Fortress of Doom (Opening music is brilliant...)
Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrels (A Prequel? Excellent game!)"

w00t w00t

I just sinned. I edited my characters on FF8 so each of the three guys could have 100 Ultima junctioned to their elem-def, 100 Haste junctioned to their speed, and 100 Element+aga (element depending on the character) on their strength/vitality. Curse Griever! He still beat me.

I'm going to eat you!
Bahamut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2006 11:39
Quote: "I just sinned. I edited my characters on FF8 so each of the three guys could have 100 Ultima junctioned to their elem-def, 100 Haste junctioned to their speed, and 100 Element+aga (element depending on the character) on their strength/vitality. Curse Griever! He still beat me"

Kill your characters, untill you get Rinoa, use Auora-> Invincible Moon, then kill it. Though if you edited your characters, why not just give them some Holy wars and stuff?

IceBound Melodic rock/metal band with loads of lead guitar, clean female vocals, and more guitars! What more could you want?
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2006 11:57
I don't remember if I got Angel Wing though, and I can't figure out how to get limit breaks in this editor
It's been a while since I've played, so I mistakenly just loaded the XP on Squall, Zell, and Irvine to get them to level 100. Oops. Now Ultimecia has almost as much HP as Omega Weapon.
I'm going to take them all down, get some Holy like you said, keep the haste and ultima, and look up some more weaknesses.
The void in my life will be fulfilled by tomorrow.

I'm going to eat you!
Bahamut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2006 13:24
I love the junction system on FFVIII, because it enables you to get 9999HP by the end of disc 1.

Rinoas limit is learned by walking her dog Invincible moon is the most useful thing ever, along side Lionheart and wishing star, your party can become unstoppable. I never use Angel wing. It's ok, but I don't like the lack of control.

I just started playing Kingdom Hearts again. It's a nice game, but Squall is nothing like he is in FFVIII (he would never call himself Leon). And although Disney is the second coolest thing on earth, the disney:FF content ratio is far too high.

Other greats that I forgot about are Star Ocean for the snes, the old FF's, and Chrono Trigger (never completed that one).

Start Ocean 3 is the best RPG for PS2. It beats FFX hands down. Not that I don't like turn based combat, but the battle system in Star Ocean is just so cool.

Saikoro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2006 13:38
Grandia II for the 5th place win. Who else has that battle system? It's quite a fun game too.

Tallun
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2006 16:00 Edited at: 17th Jun 2006 17:09
Fallout and Fallout 2 are both freakin' awesome games in my opinion. I love the amount of freedom they give you and all the things you can do in them. My only problem is I don't like the sort of timed mission that Fallout starts with. (I can't remember if any of the others are timed.)

Edit: Aw, man, how could I have forgotten about Planescape Torment! Awesomeness!
Wandering Swordsman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2006 17:39 Edited at: 21st Jun 2006 01:10
Here are just a 'few' of my favorites:
(In no particular order...)

(PC)
Castle of the Winds: A Question of Vengeance (Great grid based tactical RPG.)
Castle of the Winds: Lifthransir's Bane (More rouge-like goodness!)

(SNES)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past <--- A 'MUST' PLAY!
Illusion of Gaia (Great action RPG!)
Inindo: Way of the Ninja (Very unique)

(NES)
The Legend of Zelda (The beginning of something great!)
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (Side scrolling excellence!)

(GB)
Pokémon Blue/Red (The original was actually pretty good.)
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Wake that Wind Fish!)

(N64)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Zelda in 3D, and its good!!!)
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (Surprisingly good follow-up)

(PlayStation 2)
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter (Unique, first game I’ve ever seen that allows you to reset as part of the game.)
Wild Arms 3 (Western style RPG, the ‘moving’ combat where everyone runs around is interesting.)

Come on, admit it. Pokémon Red/Blue was a good game...

I love the classics! Anyone else here played Castle of the Winds, Ragnarok or Inindo?
(Note: I read that Author has released Castle of the Winds as Freeware.)

When I dream,
a gun in the other...
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2006 04:24
Victory is mine!
Holy cow, Lion Heart is a beastly limit break. I didn't even need Zell or Irvine. Zell had the item junction, so he just kept feeding everybody Holy Wars and it was done, plain and simple. Irvine just kind of sat there and played with himself, summoning Pandemona or drawing from Ultimecia now and then. He didn't have much to do after Ultimecia wiped out his GFs.

Quote: "Come on, admit it. Pokémon Red/Blue was a good game..."

Hell yeah it was!

I'm going to eat you!
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2006 08:50
Fallout 2. Hands-down. Fallout 1 was great, but fallout 2 was... well... magical. And that classic retro style, with tube computers (instead of transistors) and the way all of your stats look monopoly-ish... I think that's easily one of the most creative games I've ever played period, let alone RPGs. The only thing I didn't like about it was the turn-based action... then again, that's why I play FPS games mostly

"In an interstellar burst, I'm back to save the universe"
Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2006 12:14
Heh.

Fallout was actually the unofficial sequel to Wasteland, both done by interplay (black isle) but EA still had the wasteland name. think the opening line of the box for fallout (which I enjoyed) was "remember Wasteland".
Commodore kid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2006 20:08 Edited at: 17th Jun 2006 20:09
Does anyone know any good freeware rpgs and can they provide a link? Please

im sorry for the spamming i used to do i hope u can all find it in your harts to forgive me
Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
Oblivion It is one of the BEST rpg's i have ever play'd
Guild wars, its an online rpg, there are no monthly fees and it is a great game..

Just google pallmanni and get the history of me!

http://whatishl.ytmnd.com/ so friggin funny!
Wandering Swordsman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2006 09:58 Edited at: 21st Jun 2006 02:10
Freeware RPGs? I know almost all of them...
Alright commodore kid, let me see what I can dig up.

Ok, heres a few. These are all pretty good so give them a look!
Ragnarok (DOS) LINK1 LINK2 LINK3 LINK4
Ragnarok is a great old RPG in the rouge-like tradition. Link1 has V2-5, Link2 has V2-4 and I have no idea what version Link3 has to offer. I've beaten this game, it is a worthy challenge!

The Spirit Engine (Windows 95 & Up) LINK
The Spirit Engine is a great RPG, very unique. Side scrolling in nature. The story is excellent and the combat is actually interesting!

Castle of the Winds: Parts 1 & 2 (Win3.1) LINK1 LINK2
Don't let the graphics fool you, this is a great RPG. Rouge-like in style. Sadly only the Tandy supported the sound/music for this game, but don't let that stop you!

If you have trouble running the Dos game Ragnarok, then try using DOSBox to run it.

If you want more just ask, I can dig up many other great freeware RPGs.

When I dream,
a gun in the other...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 16:24:55
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 16:24:55