Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Imported meshes, looking for insight

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 17:20
Recently I've been experimenting with importing entire levels that I've created with another application into FPSC as static entities. Everything is working wonderfully except for one thing…. Enemies.

For some strange reason enemies keep falling through the floor of my level model like the ray casting doesn't sense it. The weirdest thing as opposed to the enemies is that the player and regular dynamic entities don't have this problem. I can set up stacks of crates; barrels etc. with physics on and they react the same way as if they existed in a level created with the editor. Why would enemy entities be any different?

Can anyone give me some insight to this weird problem and maybe a way to fix it?

Thanks

Lon

[url=http://webpages.charter.net/lflicking/]
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 17:24 Edited at: 14th Jun 2006 17:24
Ive had this problem too Lon. I didnt try to fix the bug, but have you tried turning the physics off on the enemy to see if it works?

Lon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 17:47
Yeah, I tried that too. It didn't make a difference. Lee told me something about setting "only walk on flat surfaces" to OFF, or something like that in the FPE, but for the life of me I can't find any reference to anything relating to that setting or verbage anywhere.

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 17:58
If you find a fix Lon, would you let me know and every one else who would like custom levels, please?

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 18:02 Edited at: 14th Jun 2006 18:13
Hi Lon,

Nice to see you here again.

Anyway - I may be way off here and the best people to give you a definative answer may be TGC - this problem I beleive to be similar to that of enemies not recognising terrains properly. I think its an engine issue related as you have said to raycasting - as in order to do that properly then the engine must recognise and object as one it can see properly.

Now inside FPSC - enemies would normally recognise floors of all the various default kinds because they are segments - and as you may know a segment has many internally recognised code settings which you can see in a segments script file which indicate to the engine which part is the floor, walls etc and how entities should react to them. Any other user inserted floor which is not made up correctly as a segment and specifying those various parameter settings for the engine to recognise means that it does not recognise a floor as such and correctly.

What I am saying is check segment scripts out and you will see why this is probably the case - any etities script file has no way near the same code for the engine to read. The answer then is to try and find a workaround.

The static entity bit is the problem FPSC expects floors to be segments and have the appropriate info to send to the engine to say it is such - thus the difficulty with entities falling through or not walking over terrains properly.

At least it may be allied to this situation - as said I am really not sure but I do know that terrains are a problem in this way - enemies cant really follow the contours as they obviously dont trace to a terrain surface correctly. Why not is anybodies guess I would think as - as you have pointed out if say you make a single floor tile entity to cover a hole the emeny does not fall through it - and they can certainly move over other kinds of static entities as we know.

One might be tempted to suggest that the poly size may allow enemies to fall through but I dont think that alone is the case - theres more involved going on than that I recon.

Anyway all that is not really much help I know - when I get back to terrains I may find an answer but it dont look promising as we dont seem to have enough script control over physics and gravity settings to control enemy entities movement over floor surfaces. We only have things like nofloorlogic and a few other script command weapons at our disposal.

Perhaps some else has found a solution - I do hope so.

If you cant find one I suggest you kinda think segment and see if any workaround comes to mind - otherwise ask someone in a position to answer such technical questions realting to the engine at TGC. You cant however make such a large segment so what I am saying is theres just something to learn from how FPSC uses segments as floors.

I had experimented with some mixed commands such as no gravity, set gravity , nofloorlogic, physics weights and so on in various combinations for enemies moving over terrains correctly but the best I could do was to get them to move but always slightly upwards so eventually they kinda stick moving 1 foot above the ground continuously which looks silly. I could not find a combination of commands to force them onto and follow a terrain surface exactly - still working on it.

But you are correct theres no trace to surface so a forced workaround seems to be the only way. Hopefully someone will crack it if not TGC.

"I am and forever will be your friend"
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 19:11
Perhaps it's the initial collision that is not being recognized. What I mean is have you tried placeing a floor segment down then puting the enemy on top of it and testing. Does it still fall through the imported level?

Lon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 20:44
@Higgins - Yes, if I figure this one out, I'll tell everyone my recipe for custom levels.

@Uman - That's what I was afraid of, segments being the only way to create levels. Hopefully there is a work around somehow.

@Disturbing - Interesting, I haven't tried that yet, but I will when I'm home this evening.

BTW I'm at the office right now and don't have access to FPSC resources. Could one of you pull up the fpe for one of the FPSC building entities (the buildings you can enter) and post it to this thread? Those entities are in essence the same thing as what we are trying to make (entity as level geometry) but yet enemies DON'T fall through those. The secret to this fact must exist in one of those fpe's. I'd like to take a look.

Lon

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 20:51
Is this what your looking for? If not lemme know.

Lon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 21:00
The buildings I'm thinking of are in the WWII Entitybank. They are entities and not segments (I think), but you can go inside them and so can enemies and not fall through. I was curious as to what collisionmode= they are using.

Lon

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 21:02 Edited at: 14th Jun 2006 21:03
Here ya go. perhaps its collision mode?

Lon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 21:07
Thanks Disturbing! Say, If you start a new level and just place the building entity (as static) and then place an enemy in it and a player start position, when you test the level, does the enemy fall through it? Sorry for the hoop jumping

Lon

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 21:26 Edited at: 14th Jun 2006 21:27
Its no trouble at all.
It works just fine, I sent you the farmhouse but tested the stable. The guy on the left was just placed there and the guy on the right was placed there while pressing enter (just to see if anything odd would happen)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Lon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 21:32
Cool! Using that FPE as a template for an imported level model might be our answer. I'll experiment tonight when I get home.

Thanks for the help Disturbing.

p.s. were they able to walk around or shoot without falling thru?

Lon

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 21:39 Edited at: 14th Jun 2006 21:49
Glad I could help. Lemme test again with more active guards, i just used unarmed ones for the test. BRB

-BTW-I did use the correct model it was the farmhouse not the stable like I thought.
Edit-Ok I tested and this is what happened the enemy I placed on the right (the one while pressing enter) was fine. when I approached him he shot at me and pursued me useing the terrain propperly till he ran off of it to his death. The left guard that was just placed didn't fall through but ran in place trying to pursue me. Perhaps it was just a terrain height or doorway stopping him.

Lon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 21:53
Good news. Most likely, since the running in place guard wasn't placed with the Enter key, he was slightly sumereged in the model surface which stopped him. I'll try all this out with my giant level model when I get home and let everyone know if this is a fixed issue.

Lon

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 21:57 Edited at: 14th Jun 2006 21:59
Ive imported a room entity once, placed the player start down and ran around the level. I found that the collision was messed up, I was getting traped by things that where not there. I changed its collision mode to another setting and it reduced the areas I got traped in, by a lot. I only got traped by the fencing, but for some reason I could walk through it, so thats probably why I got traped in parts.

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 21:59
Cool deal , I always look forward to some screenies or just progression updates from Horry Gorry .

Lon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 22:14
I'm seriously thinking of changing the name though from Horry Gorry to The Temple Of King Mugga Fugga with the whole game taking place in the Temple.

Lon

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 22:31
Awsome perhaps Horry gorry can be a part 3 taking place in a haunted house?

bsgamemaker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2006 00:03 Edited at: 15th Jun 2006 00:06
Quote: "Good news. Most likely, since the running in place guard wasn't placed with the Enter key, he was slightly sumereged in the model surface which stopped him. I'll try all this out with my giant level model when I get home and let everyone know if this is a fixed issue.

Lon "

I've been waiting on news like this for a long time, because I want to be able to use Cartography Shop and lightmap my levels in Giles and import them in Fpsc. But I always had collision issues, so all in all I'll be waiting on what you accomplished.

Take Care

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 21:25:26
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 21:25:26