Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / [LOCKED] STOP THE BOOTLEGGING....Please!! (Caps was ment sorry)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2006 07:47
Okay here is a great question. How do we stop the bootlegging of a great product. I paid for my copy of this software. As did many other people I see on these forums. And it makes me sick when I see someone ripping off these people here who have taken there valuable time and effort to make a good product.

I wont degrade this post by saying where I saw the bootleg at unless it is an administrator from here and here only asking me and only then I will PM him and him alone so they can take action against these people.

If anybody has suggestiong on how to get even with these type of people I am all ears and eye's...

Have you downloaded your CLiPs today.
Maeko
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2006 07:49 Edited at: 15th Jun 2006 07:50
Uhh... What? Your post is too smart for me.

Give a man some bullets, and he'll want a gun. Give a man a gun and he'll be giving away the bullets!!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2006 09:15
I think Rich would be interested in that info Clips, please email rich(at)thegamecreators.com. If something can be done about it then I'm sure it will be.

Aegrescit medendo
CLiPs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2006 09:23
I will drop him an email thanks so much

Have you downloaded your CLiPs today.
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2006 22:02
for all pirated material, there is a pirater.

thats what i dont get, why would someone upload theire copy of software for others to download...

so, if there is a serial or key floating around, maybe rich can track it.

http://www.seqoiagames.com/seqoiacorp/
Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2006 00:02 Edited at: 16th Jun 2006 00:03
wait? clips, how do you see that a person is using a pirate version of fpsc?

Just google pallmanni and get the history of me!

http://whatishl.ytmnd.com/ so friggin funny!
jaba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2006 00:34 Edited at: 16th Jun 2006 00:35
unfortunatley theres no way to stop piracy, theres thousands of people using them, and ive already searched to be able to report, there are no fpscreator program on any file sharer not in limwire or anything else, no ones done it so far, so there really isnt anything we can do against it, major programs can be stopped from being pirated by using certain abiities to make it usuable only once on a coputer but that would make it unusable if the computer got cleaned.

I as well wish we could stop the break down of economy in the world by pirates but almost 49% of people who have major products got the lillegaly sad to say but its true.

여보세요fpsc은 중대하다
haha
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2006 00:49 Edited at: 16th Jun 2006 00:57
pally... good question... very good question.

I would assume he saw him download it.

Quote: "unfortunatley theres no way to stop piracy, theres thousands of people using them,"

But there are many ways to expodentally decrease piracy.

Quote: "and ive already searched to be able to report, there are no fpscreator program on any file sharer not in limwire or anything else, no ones done it so far, so there really isnt anything we can do against it,"

You haven't looked hard enough... there are FPSC downloads.

Quote: "major programs can be stopped from being pirated by using certain abiities to make it usuable only once on a coputer but that would make it unusable if the computer got cleaned."

Incorrect, the only way to make sure a program was only usable on a certain computer would be to have it dependent on a peice of hardware that computer has.

There are a fair number of ways to EXE Insert, dll insert, or dll/exe crack. It is not uncommon to override a brilliant defense because it is dependent on the program files being left intact. Or it depends on a 'hidden' data secotor on the CD. No, as I said, the only way to make a 'unhackable' program is to make it dependent on hardware and even that can be overridden... it will just take longer.

My Government sucks, join the rebellion!
One can only know so much, only comprehend the world to a point. After that we exist as impressionable beings. Doing nothing, being nothing, forever nothing.
Maeko
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2006 03:11 Edited at: 16th Jun 2006 03:12
My dad found a pirated version of FPSCreator and wanted to give it to my birthday. But I said no and wanted to buy it instead, because it must have been a virus anyway. That was a close call, though.

Give a man some bullets, and he'll want a gun. Give a man a gun and he'll be giving away the bullets!!
Darth Valtar
Years of Service
User Offline
You will all be happy to know that we on the south side of the world are also probing all file sharing and listening out for any info for anyone pirating FPSC or any Dark Basic software. So far tracking them down has been hell.
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2006 09:14
Quote: "for all pirated material, there is a pirater"

I think they're called pirates...

AE

dark heart
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2006 10:41 Edited at: 16th Jun 2006 11:09
omg! what would you do without me! i know a sight that gives fpsc in a torrent! it is is french, but still, fpsc is translatable! i will give the destination of the sight, but wat's in it for me?
because "guy in charge" , i have been wanting to make a racing game,
wich i can make with db pro...
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2006 10:51
Quote: "but wat's in it for me? "

TGS gets robbed less so TGC gets more money, more money means more funding, more funding means more bug fixes, more bugfixes means a better FPSC. It's really not that hard.

dark heart
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2006 11:07
err.. i'm a simple person, plz explain that in a different way,
and besides, do you know how many people it says has download it?
something like 367 that's a lot of money's worth of fpsc.
...and i know exackly where it is.
Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2006 12:00
just tell us gosh darnit...im trying so hard not to cuss in this post... dude your a degrading member and do not deserve your account here if your asking us whats in it for you if you help tgc with piracy

yes im expecting punishment for saying this but its worth it...low life like him make me question why rich and all them wasted their time on a great project when people like to pirate it and other people seem to support it *COUGH COUGH* DARK HEART

http://ninjasoftforum.proboards107.com
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2006 12:21 Edited at: 16th Jun 2006 12:23
Dark Heart, this isn't a matter of "rewards". Please don't expect to get a $70 product for free simply because you gave the address of a torrent website.

It's a matter of dignity and honesty--the fact is that by telling TGC this, you're doing them a huge favor--and there's unintentional rewards there as Disturbing already stated--and that reward is for everyone, so it's all the more fair. What goes around, comes around...

Evil has a new name. Demo out now!
Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2006 12:28
i dont know how you do it jiffy how do you manage to stay calm and not get pissed off like i do lol
i envy you
[/offtopic]

http://ninjasoftforum.proboards107.com
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2006 12:36 Edited at: 16th Jun 2006 12:36
Heh, Bloodeath. I'm known for my sense of calm and serenity that I add to any conversation .

Anyway, back on topic--bootlegging is something that does, and always will, happen to any product. It happened even to Half-Life 2, and we all know how crazily far Valve went to stop it (Registration Keys that can only be used once? No, thanks!). It happens to everything and it always will. Heartless people who commit this sort of crime (and that's what it is--a crime, because stealing is an offence) truly will never stop. They're the ones who bypass all of these measures--in the case of the HL2 remark, it was the innocent ones reformatting their PCs that went through the ordeal, not the ones who simply download a 2GB file over the internet. Kind of reminds me of HDCP.

Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " i will give the destination of the sight, but wat's in it for me?"

Let me ask you, why were you searching for it on torrent??

Quote: "we all know how crazily far Valve went to stop it"

i dont kow would you tell me?

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2006 15:43 Edited at: 16th Jun 2006 15:43
As off-topic as it is, I really want to answer your question, Pallmanni.

See, Valve, being the odd company that they are, decided they'd use a system for serial keys that very few games use: necessary online registration. Basically, you needed to have an internet connection to play the game, otherwise the key wouldn't work.

However, that wasn't the end of it. Valve also employed a "one-time" registration system, so that every serial key given out could only be used once, period. I'm fairly sure there were ways to stop this if you were reformatting, but I sure didn't have a clue (and had to copy the 7GB game onto an external hard-drive, thank you very much). More annoying was the fact that these people stealing the game off the internet were using up registration keys--I had to go back to the store to get it replaced twice, because pirates had already used the keys that I was unlucky enough to get.

Again, sorry for going off-topic. Let's try and steer away from diversions from here on out .

Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
geez, i hope mine wont get stolen i have 19 games on that account *runs to change his password*, i once had an account wich was disabled, i used hack to see through walls *hides behind a fridge*

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2006 03:38
Jiffy... isn't Valve using the steam downloader? I think they EXPECT you to use it.

Besides, if you were really smart (smiles) you would call up the company, send over the manual (a/o cd), and get a new key in the mail.

One can only know so much, only comprehend the world to a point. After that we exist as impressionable beings. Doing nothing, being nothing, forever nothing.
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2006 04:32
Valve does use the (horrid) Steam downloader, and you have to use it--they don't expect you to, they demand you do.

And I realise that I could have sent it off--but it was surprisingly more convienient just to copy the whole game onto an external HD--I got to play it straight away, so it sure beat sending it off.

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2006 04:39
Quote: " More annoying was the fact that these people stealing the game off the internet were using up registration keys--I had to go back to the store to get it replaced twice, because pirates had already used the keys that I was unlucky enough to get."

You make it sound like you lost the key...

I personally love steam... I have lost many CD's before (including the backup of the cd) so the ability to just re-download the material (legally) is eggzalant (pheonically spelled).

Oh, and those Keys were worthless in the first time. Do you expect someone to BUY a game, and give it away - before play? Kinda like buying a wow card, and putting the code up online.

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2006 05:01
Firstly, I don't exactly get why you think I make it sound like I lost the key--I tried the key, it didn't work. I took it back, the store clerk said that a lot of people had been returning the game because their keys didn't work. He said that it was because pirates were using the keys, and I believed him.

Steam isn't so much the bad thing. I don't know much about downloading purchased content off of it, but I was under the impression that you couldn't just download the whole game over the internet through Steam--it's a large game.

And when I said that pirates were using the registration keys, I don't actually think that it worked that way (that people bought the game and put the key online)--I had no idea how it worked, I was just going by what the clerk had told me.

dark heart
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2006 05:04 Edited at: 17th Jun 2006 05:44
-taken out-
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2006 05:06 Edited at: 17th Jun 2006 05:07
Dark, I really suggest you take that link down now. It's really not a good idea to post it up here--instead, e-mail Rich (rich@thegamecreators.com, I believe), and give it to him. I'd bet there are people who would download it illegally from here, so I suggest you take it down here.

Thank you for turning it in though.

dark heart
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2006 05:43
okey just a minit
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2006 05:51
Thanks, Dark Heart.

So yeah, I suggest that you e-mail the link to Rich--although I'm not quite sure exactly what he can do once he gets it, I'm sure there is no harm done.

dark heart
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2006 05:56
he can report it.
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2006 02:39 Edited at: 20th Jun 2006 02:41
Quote: "Firstly, I don't exactly get why you think I make it sound like I lost the key--I tried the key, it didn't work. I took it back, the store clerk said that a lot of people had been returning the game because their keys didn't work. He said that it was because pirates were using the keys, and I believed him."

Quote: "Me: “So how does CortiSlim work to reduce cortisol?” Seller: “It decreases the level of cortisol in your body, just cancels it all out.”25 Me: “OK, but how does it do that?” Seller: “CortiSlim evaporates it and absorbs it and decreases it and cuts it down. So I want to tell you about a ‘buy two get one free’ special we’re running this week.”...

25. Cancels out all the cortisol: Bogus. Cortisol is a stress hormone—among other things, it regulates our fight-or-flight impulse—and has been weakly linked to one form of obesity. But “canceling out all cortisol would be disastrous,” notes University of Virginia endocrinologist Mary Vance. Perusing the ingredients listed on the company’s Web site, she says: “You might as well eat tree bark.”
"

PopSci

QED: Clerks are hired to sell, that is all that matters to them. He either made it up as shown above, or got it from some very misinformed person. Steam HAS been hacked, but the Steam severs... that is much harder. It doesn't take much to analyze the processes an application makes enabling low level cracking. But hacking… that is a different story. You would either need to hack the server (which a lot of these crackers don’t even know where to begin) or commit to social engineering.
Now, I have read on several more reputable sites on how Valve was NOT prepared when they released HL2 and how their servers couldn’t handle the load. With this in mind it is possible that your key got ‘lost’ during validation.

Either way, the chance of the validation system being hacked is very low. If it was hacked, Valve would have been OBLIGATED by LAW to recall all Store Sold Discs or provide a way to regain the code. (Lemon Law [in ability to sell broken merchendice]).

And IF the server was hacked, then you deciding to buy another game hurts them more... you should have provided proof that you OWNED that code (send in your manual) and in that case they would have terminated the piraters account, revoked all his games and given you control of your code back, or send you another.

Oh, and steam will let you download full games... the DL speed is pathetic though.

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2006 04:42
Merranvo, in all lightheartedness, I'm not going to bother getting into some sort of "fight-type-thing" with you, so this'll be my last post (yes, I know you'll win ).

I already said I don't know much about the way Steam works, I was just going by what the clerk told me--I'd assume he was given misinformation, and that's fine. It's not going to alter my life.

So anyway, chances are that I was wrong, fair enough. I'm not going to start a debate about it though--because, as said, you're making sense, I'm not.

Oh, and I knew you could download full games--I just didn't think you could do so with something like HL2.

MR useless
Years of Service
User Offline
ok i wish pepole wouldent botleg things, ive showed this program to freinds and they just want a copy of i t but i keep teling them no.

I was also wondering, before i got this program i forweded my email to my grampas and downloadid it on his comp becuse i have dial up at my house, im sure he dosent use it though i did not uninstall it from his comp, am i my own enemy or is it ok k for 65 year olds that dont use this program to have it on there comp?????

SUPORT OR MODS !!!
STOP COMPLAINING!
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2006 05:11
Jiffy, I did not mean to imply that you did not understand. Rather I wanted to insult the clerk... it was just one of the worst things I have ever heard and in my oppinion, I believe he just wanted to sell you another copy (more money in his pocket).

Mr. Useless
Although you only have licence to use FPSC on one computer, the licence might be able to get extended if both computers are in your possession. As your grandfathers computer is NOT in your possession I would say that LEGALLY you are in violation.

Now will Rich let you pass? Probally... but the next time you are there, uninstall it to be certain.

MR useless
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2006 05:57 Edited at: 20th Jun 2006 05:59
k, i mean i am sure he dosent use it i was just unpatian whith dial up so i tried it at his house.
ive just made the switch to dsl
for all you dail up user out there GOOD LUCK for downloading this program, im estamating that it would of took me like tow days to dowload it on my pc.

edit one, i have a friend who is always at my house and he wants to help me creat a game, ok tow the point is it cheaper to extend the lincense or just buy the program agian ?

SUPORT OR MODS !!!
STOP COMPLAINING!
Wandering Swordsman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2006 06:00 Edited at: 20th Jun 2006 06:09
Jiffy:
Quote: "Valve does use the (horrid) Steam downloader, and you have to use it--they don't expect you to, they demand you do."

I love Half-Life, played the game night and day. But, when they brought in steam... *shakes his head* I didn't buy steam when I bought HL. Steam suck, it sucks bad. Half-Life has been nothing but unstable since they switched to it. I occasionally still install my copy and play through the single player, (Or a mod etc.) but multi-player is effectively dead to me. (And I really loved Day of Defeat... )

Merranvo:
Quote: "I personally love steam... I have lost many CD's before (including the backup of the cd) so the ability to just re-download the material (legally) is eggzalant (pheonically spelled)."

Suggestion, take better care of your CDs. Hey, if Steam works well for you then more power to ya!

MR useless, no that’s not ok. (Sorry.) As Merranvo says uninstall it.

Now, back to the main topic... piracy.

Almost every day someone offers me a stolen piece of software, "Hey man, check this out! I'll burn you a copy..." and I turn'em down, the sad thing is these people don't seem to actually realize they're stealing due to the fact that the data they're copying is not a physical object... either that or they just don't care as they don't fear being caught... Theft is theft. Someone wrote it and decided to sell it. That means if you want it, you buy it.

I've also run into people who, try before they buy. "Oh, it's ok... I'm only downloading it to see if I like it and if I do, I'll buy it." *Shakes his head* If there's a demo then play it. The full version's content is what they're selling, so pay for it!

It's old so that makes it free, abandonedware. It's kind of funny, the same people who bitch and moan that 'shovelware' (Putting a whole bunch of usually old games on one or more CDs/DVDs and selling them as a collection.) is a pathetic thing for companies to sell, love to pirate older software. (I know I'm generalizing there, but I've run into a lot of people who have that position.)

Shovelware is a GREAT way to grab old classics. (Like the Mega Man collections just released by Capcom for example.) Others don't see the companies as being hurt at all, "Hey, they're not selling it anymore..." Some even believe they are protecting the media from vanishing by archiving it. (I wish that archiving it in this manner was legal because I hate the thought of any of the classics vanishing... but it sadly is not.)

Then, there are the ones I can't completely understand... they just don't care. As long as it's free and they don't get caught, they're happy. (Someone once bragged in Diablo 2 he was using a pirated copy... it was very funny, since the third member of our party was a known Blizzard Mod.)

Don't pirate, for any reason. Don't currently have the cash? Then wait 'till you do, if you miss you chance to buy something... such is life. (I missed my chance to buy System Shock 1's gold edition, the one with the voice pack. But I still hope for the day I will acquire it, and I'll do it legally!)

There is a lot of freeware (Quality freeware!) out there!

Also several companies are releasing their old titles as freeware. (Like 3d Realms's StarGunner & Bio Menace)

It makes me both angry and sad...
(I think I'll end my rant here.)

When I dream,
I carry a sword in one hand,
a gun in the other...
Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2006 06:21
All my programs are freeware just so I don't have to worry about someone pirating it.
I think I have over 100 programs now.

Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I didn't buy steam"

they arent selling it!! you can download it from them! www.steampowered.com press the get steam now button..

Wandering Swordsman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2006 18:35 Edited at: 20th Jun 2006 18:36
Pallmanni, I know how to get steam, and I know it’s free. (Thanks for trying to help though.)

Steam was not in the original release. In the beginning Half-Life used WON for they're master server list. (And all was right with the world...)

When I bought my game I didn't buy it so I'd have to run it off/through steam, both online and offline.

(Actually, wasn't there a law suit somewhere because Valve didn't mention steam on the box of the original product?)

I dislike buying non-physical media through steam, and yes hackers/crackers/thieves do use up CD-keys that are still in new sealed boxes yet to be sold. (The good news is most clerks will exchange the 'defective' game for a new copy if it's still under warranty with out a fight.)

And as Merranvo said, you should contact the game's company with the defective CD key to get the other user's account blocked...

Also, try and avoid buying 'used' multi-player games such as WarCraft 2&3, Diablo 1&2+LOD, StarCraft, Half-Life, etc. A lot of the time the CD-Key's have been banned from the master server so they've been traded in. (I've seen people enter a VG store, trade in the game, then buy the same game. One time the store clerk even commented with the words, "Banned again?".)

I will say one more word of advice, don’t bother to buy the Half-Life anthology. Just hunt down a copy of Half-Life GOTY (The original HL may work as well.) when you enter your product key into steam it will count as the Half-Life anthology and you will gain access to Opposing Force & Blue Shift. (*Cries* of which I already bought before they included it. lol) The older Half-Life CD’s can still be found New here and there, and their usually pretty cheap.

*Sigh* I miss Half-Life…

When I dream,
a gun in the other...
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2006 20:53
Defenition of tourture- haveing your friends pitch in to buy you the special edition of halflife 2 and your dvd rom not recognize it. Just a spinning clicking sound to tease me. Sigh.

LewisM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2006 21:32
there is really no way to stop piracy, just out of interest to see what would come up, i went to a few well known hacking sites, there are about 5 different full downloads, including crack of FPSC, a good number of keygens and plenty of keys.

this was all from about maybe 10 sites, tops.

So to be honest, there really isnt a huge amount of point trying to fight it, the fact is that if you have popular software, people WILL crack it.

Pfft, i dont need a PS sig to be amazing, its in my blood.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2006 21:50 Edited at: 20th Jun 2006 21:52
That is not the proper attitude to have.Your post makes it sound like nobody should care about piracy.Why do you think things cost what they do?
You seem to have a lot of dirt and you should e-mail it to Rich.
I can assure you that TGC will make every effort to put a stop to it.
Maybe piracy can't be stopped but we should do what we can to prevent it.
Doing nothing sends the message that we think it is okay to steal things that do not belong to us.It is not.
There will always be pirates and thieves.Letting them know that they are not welcome and that their behavior is unnacceptable (not to mention illegal) will cut down on that.
So will reporting any illegal software you find to TGC.

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2006 22:13
Quote: "So to be honest, there really isnt a huge amount of point trying to fight it, the fact is that if you have popular software, people WILL crack it."

RC is popular,BUT uncracked...

Thats what i heard.

Many tales has bein told about me,and there where i came from.Most bad ones are true.The good ones are false...

Join the dark side and be a legend...
LewisM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2006 22:59
RC?

and also a fair few people start up cracking games to "fight the man" and all that, by frowning upon it, you are potentialy giving them the attention they crave.

and seriosly, i have yet to see an app that is uncrackable, with todays technology, it simply cant be done.

oh and cracking doesnt go on just over the internet, there are markets packed full of dodgy stuff, entire stalls of "3 games for £10", so cutting it down through the internet would be an awsome start, but it wont stop it completely.

its like theft in shops, it happens, no matter how many people get arrested, people still steal.

Pfft, i dont need a PS sig to be amazing, its in my blood.
Wandering Swordsman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2006 00:11 Edited at: 21st Jun 2006 01:08
Can we stop piracy totally? Probably not. Should we just sit down and take it when something can be done? [mod edit] no.

LewisM, send the links mentioned to the proper TGC admin.

Just because piracy/theft is wide spread doesn't excuse it.

When I dream,
a gun in the other...
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2006 01:08
Please try not to swear.

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2006 04:59
Quote: "I dislike buying non-physical media through steam, and yes hackers/crackers/thieves do use up CD-keys that are still in new sealed boxes yet to be sold. (The good news is most clerks will exchange the 'defective' game for a new copy if it's still under warranty with out a fight.)"

Link... and not a blog.com.

Quote: "Suggestion, take better care of your CDs."

CD's don't last forever... nor is there enough space to keep every cd you have ever bought. (with continual backup).

Quote: "Just hunt down a copy of Half-Life GOTY "

Perhaps that is because HL GOTY is sold in a pack? Once again, link.

Quote: "Half-Life has been nothing but unstable since they switched to it."

That is a lie, and you know it. I have played HL 3 times straight through on steam. No Crashing. If I understand ANYTHING about programming, and anything about conceptual programming then Steam just extracts the files and runs them. Simple. Those big game files are nothing more then compressed folders (like .zip). Now steam DOES request more crap resources, but it is just a loader.

Quote: "but multi-player is effectively dead to me. (And I really loved Day of Defeat... )"

Loads Day of Defeat... there are servers... many servers.

Now, stoping piracy...
People can only upload x amount of megs in 1 month...
Tada. End of piracy. You can no longer effectivly share media and that means that games would be much harder to pirate (will exceed the upload limit).

Okay, distributed CD's allow it, but that can be taken care of by more programs like steam. Steam is a launcher... but if you go further... have more files online and KEEP them there, require authorizations you have better chance of having software remain uncracked for a longer time.

alex 1337
User Banned
Posted: 21st Jun 2006 05:30
Pirating makes the world go around.
Darth Valtar
Years of Service
User Offline
Speaking of which...Some of us are going to be selling our own games,Watch..wait..And lets see what happends then my good friends and neighbors. FPSPack better be kept up or were all going to pay the price.
Wandering Swordsman
Years of Service
User Offline
FredP:
Quote: "Please try not to swear. "

I will endeavour to choose my words more carefully in the future.

Merranvo:
Quote: "Link... and not a blog.com."

What are you asking for a link to?
The stores I've gone to that accept and exchange the software?
Or the source of my information on CD-Key theft?
(I'm not going to look for and post a link to Hack CD-Key data, to dangerous for my machine, besides it pirate!)

I haven't read anything specifically about HL2 CD-Key theft, mostly other games like StarCraft, Diablo 2 & Unreal.

... Here's an article I dug up: Link

The article doesn't cover sealed box CD-Key theft, but I found this part interesting:
Quote: "There are CD-Key generators (programs known as Keygen’s) that automatically generate CD-Keys for players who own illegal copies of the game (and yes, one of these random numbers could conceivably be your legitimate CD-Key)."

Merranvo:
Quote: "CD's don't last forever... nor is there enough space to keep every cd you have ever bought. (with continual backup)."

I have well over 1,000 CD's and that's only counting the ones I've bought not the backup files I've burned of say my DB projects, system resources, etc. All of them are stored in towers, holders, etc. If there isn’t enough physical space to keep the CD’s then how do you have them?

Most of the CD's I've bought didn't have a scratch on them they've stay that way for me. To my knowledge CD's do not degrade by themselves to a point where they would be unusable for a long, long time. (Do they even?) You just have to be really careful handling them. and if your CD-rom stares scratching CD's on a regular basis, it's time to either clean your CD-Rom or buy a new one.

I buy a lot of classic (Very old) software, none of the CD's have been defective because of their age. What do you mean?

Merranvo:
Quote: "Perhaps that is because HL GOTY is sold in a pack? Once again, link."

When I bought my copy it didn't come in a pack.
Here are the links: Half-Life, Half-Life GOTY.

Merranvo:
Quote: "That is a lie, and you know it. I have played HL 3 times straight through on steam. No Crashing. If I understand ANYTHING about programming, and anything about conceptual programming then Steam just extracts the files and runs them. Simple. Those big game files are nothing more then compressed folders (like .zip). Now steam DOES request more crap resources, but it is just a loader."

Half-Life prior to Steam ran well and all was good. Half-Life after Steam became completely unstable for me. I couldn't even play through Blue Shift offline through steam without it crashing. If I install HL without steam it runs fine with no crashes. You've played through 3 time using steam? Good for you. Don't call me a liar Merranvo.

Merranvo:
Quote: "Loads Day of Defeat... there are servers... many servers."

Of course there are still servers! It is dead to 'me' due to the crashing. I gave up trying to play the game I loved in it's new and improved unstable format.

Steam works flawlessly for some, but not for all.

1 Meg a month? unreasonable. It would mean the death of so much else besides piracy.

Your vision of a anti-piracy solution would probably work. Although people could devise cracks that included the online files offline and allowed the program to run without contacting the server, that would probably be very time consuming and keep the program safe for it's shelf life.

Still, I find having to download/authenticate/etc the software online I want to use offline is a bit of a pain.

If my information is wrong then tell me, this stuff is useful to know.
(Sorry if my post has a bit of a tone to it, being called a liar and an idiot has me a bit miffed.)

When I dream,
a gun in the other...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 21:24:50
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 21:24:50