Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / A question about using levels

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I have 2 questions about using levels.

Being extremely enthusistic about my new purchase I have made a map that's quite large already.

Q1: Could I use the selection tool to copy areas onto a new map, and would it copy everything (as in entities etc. too?) or will the clipboard not carry over a copied selection to a new map?

Q2: If I don't use levels (just have one large and high map), will it make the initial load time too excessive when the game is finished?

Thanks.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2006 08:29 Edited at: 15th Jun 2006 08:30
Unfortunately as far as I am aware at least - you cant copy FPSC level content to the clipboard to paste into a separate or new level. Its something I suggested way back for to be considered for inclusion. It would probably be seen as of very low priority so I dont know if you will ever see it happen.

You can make your map as large as you want within the world size and FPSC engine capability limits. In large complex levels you may need do a lot of work in optimisation of levels to sustain suitable gameplay speeds. As to acceptability of load times - large complex levels will by any measure of professional AAA title game standards have very long load times - in the order of some minutes. Its a matter of opinion as to whether or not they are excessive - they are the way they are - and your game player has to put up with it if you want to make decently complex levels and they want to play them.

Personally I would not worry in the slightest if that were the case although of course would prefer it if it were not so. If any game is good its worth waiting for and if its not then fast load times wont matter - players would be more likely to be a bit miffed if they have to wait for the long download time of a large game or game levels which FPSC outputs only to find they did not like it. If its good they wont worry about the load time. Make the screen shots, demo, intro and load screens and audio good and they will be too excited waiting to play to worry about the load.

"I am and forever will be your friend"
classixuk
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the quick reply Uman!

I think I shall keep my map as one large map in that case.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2006 09:43
Your very welcome.

Well we dont have much choice really. Possibly we may see some improvements as FPSC develops further overall.

As said though and as you will no doubt come across in various posts here its a constant battle with FPSC as with any other engines to keep the fps and gameplay speeds acceptable so bear that in mind when considering the size and complexity of your Maps.

Some prefer to make smaller levels and make more of them - theres something to be said for that if it suits your game type I guess.

I like a challenge so I make em big.

"I am and forever will be your friend"
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2006 01:05
Quote: "Unfortunately as far as I am aware at least - you cant copy FPSC level content to the clipboard to paste into a separate or new level. Its something I suggested way back for to be considered for inclusion. It would probably be seen as of very low priority so I dont know if you will ever see it happen."

Prefabs... but will it copy entities... not sure.

My Government sucks, join the rebellion!
One can only know so much, only comprehend the world to a point. After that we exist as impressionable beings. Doing nothing, being nothing, forever nothing.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 21:32:35
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 21:32:35