Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Question about preferred key mapping?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
This question is for those who play lots of FPS games.

I'm toying with the idea of mapping the control keys for my game in the way that I prefer to use them when playing Counterstrike, Half Life etc.

Cursor keys : Up, Down, Strafe Left, Strafe Right.
Right Shift: Run
Right CTRL: Jump
End: Crouch
Enter: Use
Mouse: Look
Mouse 1: Primary Fire
Page Down: Reload

I use this combination as I find it impossible to use the left handside of the keyboard, space, and the mouse at the same time.

What about everyone else? Is WASD the most popular mapping for gamers, or just the most popular pre-configured mapping.

I figured it would be important to find out what combinations others gamers like before committing my games to any set keys.

Thanks for your feedback.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2006 08:32
WASD,

Personally I hate it.

"I am and forever will be your friend"
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2006 09:09
WASD is what i use on CoD2, Quake 4 and Nightfire. I like it,

AE

classixuk
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "
uman said:
WASD,

Personally I hate it.
"

Which keys do you like to use Uman?
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2006 01:13
wasd?

no... awsd!

Pro-Gamers use awsd, majority of the games now are no longer simply movement games... and having a wheel to change weapons still doesn't cut it.

You have sneak, run, corner look (2), reload, flashlight, zoom, use... and forcing the plr to use the arrowkeys only slows them down. You have to use THREE hands, one for the mouse, one for the arrow keys, and one for the other keys you no longer can reach with one hand.

Besides... I am missing my right shift key.

My Government sucks, join the rebellion!
One can only know so much, only comprehend the world to a point. After that we exist as impressionable beings. Doing nothing, being nothing, forever nothing.
neogamer 101
Years of Service
User Offline
WSAD personally just feels right. A lot of keeks are next to WSAD and it improves game flow. Plus I can't think of any big name FPS's that don't use WSAD.
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2006 14:54 Edited at: 16th Jun 2006 14:57
WSAD, AWSD, SDAW or SADW (however you like to say it) is probably the most universally accepted type of control used in FPS'. It's really no wonder that FPSC uses it--I don't think I've seen a single game in years that is an FPS and doesn't adopt this form of movement. It's just natural--you have full use of the keyboard and relatively easy access to almost every key on the board. It just makes sense, at least for me.

But if you're worried about what your players want mapped, just wrap your game with FPSPack. It has keymapping as an option if you decide to have a pre-game menu, so you can just let the player decide.

Evil has a new name. Demo out now!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 21:32:38
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 21:32:38