Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / FPS Creator on 256 RAM

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, minimum is 512, but ... I have 256 MB. And works very good. But I have a prob. When I click Build Game, to make the .exe, it stucks. When it starts I stay over 50 minutes. Is the RAM or an installation error?
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2006 10:56
That depends.

When having to little RAM building the game is going to take much longer or when you try to build a bigger game, you probably get a crash or stuck for a very long time.

But it could also be the options you choose when building the game. If you're going to use full lightmapping and full shaders building the game takes a lot of time. I suggest switch of full shaders, set lightmappng to soft lightmaps, switch off dynamic lights also perhaps and try building the game again to see if it works now.

Another thing that's happening can be the way you designed your levels. If you create use levels with lot's of entities, it's going to take a long time to build the game or if you add to much it may not build at all.

Try creating a small level first, put a few entities in it, not lot's. Don't use dynamic lights, but static lights only. Set lightmapping to soft and switch off dynamic light and shaders when you're going to build. See what happens.

If it doesn't build then or is still very slow (over half an hour), it's time for an upgrade.

They don't recommend 512MB Ram for fun, they do it for a reason. If you're using less RAM you can expect problems.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
ReNZor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2006 12:25
I have that problem too.. Sometimes it gets stuck. It's just FPSC-Game.exe and/or FPSC-MapEditor.exe that crashes. Just re-open FPSC and it will work again.. And i have 2048mb DDR (2x1024) so it's not your memory
Lightning Bolt Studios
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2006 02:56 Edited at: 18th Jun 2006 22:50
It also depends on how many other programs you are running in the background besides FPSC, you need to turn off all unnecessary programs (AIM, MS mesenger, etc). All the little icons in the bottom Right corner are programs running eating up your system resources (Ram & CPU time) which will lead to a crash when trying to compile a game. and if your PC is loaded with spywear, viruses and malware you will also get crashes when trying to build a Game with FPSC, bottom line is you can have the fastest computer on the planet with a boat load of ram and it will run as slow as a 200mgz Pentium if you have a bunch of programs running in the background and or virus, malware and spywear eating up all your ram and cpu time.
I would buy more ram if you can afford it, the more the better.

Good...Bad...but I'm the guy with the GUN!
Support your local Riker 9 Chapter
MR useless
Years of Service
User Offline
Just to fill you in on a great card at a great price.
if you have only 256 mb ram. you comp probly dint com with a real graphics card. heres what i sugest to you wich i have done to all of my cheaper computers at my dads business.
first go into controol panel go to system, next hit the tab that seys advance, then click on performance( witch should be the first clickable) when you click you get another screen with mor tabs on top, go to advance, the at the botom you will se vitural memory, i would gange that to somthing over a thousand. this will inprove perfomance some what..

also if you have 70 bucks and an apg slot aviable\ or pci buy a geforce fx 5200, great card at a great price.. and instalation for thise things are as easy as riding a bike.

hope this helps

SUPORT OR MODS !!!
STOP COMPLAINING!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 21:23:58
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 21:23:58