Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / kipple (the remake of crossfire)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2003 14:58 Edited at: 1st Apr 2003 15:55
as far as i see i'm the only one who uses the demo version of dbpro here
(on a brink of expiration, though). & that means the models are not animated
because, no matter how hard i tried, i couldn't bring it to clone any strutting
stick guy without making it crash. the whole thingy had to be done in less than
a month (i think that drab gfx gives it away), but it's quite enjoyable.
oh well, try it for yourself:

http://strony.wp.pl/wp/morghlith/kipple.html

(ok, the server switch... geocities gave me that 'bandwidth exceeded' crap. blah.)

and on a sidenote - the file is compressed with rar3.0 as an SFX archive,
so you won't have to d/l the winrar package if you don't have it, and then
compressed again with winzip, because i don't think yahoo/geocities allow
uploading of .exe files.

ok, that's it. have fun.

ZomBfied
Years of Service
User Offline
Sweet! I loved that game!

morfeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2003 00:53 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2003 00:53
*grumble* those free webspace providers... use this one if the other one
fails... i hope they're not going to crash together too often...

http://www.geocities.com/m0rfeus/kipple.html

glad you liked it, mr. ZomBfied. were my eyes deceived, or have i seen
something that looked like a screenshot from a remake of 'berzerk'
in one of your sigs? was that a devious photoshoppation or is there
a real project behind this?
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 00:25
.rar files arn't too popular here because they, well, they arn't normal....

But many of us here have 3D Exploration and don't know that it can extract .rar files - so now you know really there's no excuse

Downloading it now myself

Pneumatic Dryll, Outrageous epic cleric of EQ/Xev
God made the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 13:45
I always use WinRAR, never anything else (handles .rar, zip, ace, anything really).

Game is gorgeous but SO hard! Is the speed limited at all? I seem to get killed pretty damn quickly. I'm going to have to test it on my old PC.

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 15:10
I loved the presentation of this game, very slick indeed. Obviously you are more talented than your noobie status and I hope you join the fold of regular DB programmers

However I did have the same problem as Rich in that I found the game very very difficult, if it is speed I can give you some code that will make the game run at the same speed on all computers otherwise please make it easier!

morfeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 15:35
ha! i wish i could... my dbpro just expired. anyway, i used sync rate 40, so it would run smoothly on my cpu. doesn't the sync command make the speed stable? the game IS hard, yesyes, but after a little training you'd get a hang of it; if you don't get repulsed by the 1st impression, that is. i tested it on quite a few machines & the speed was more or less the same on all of them.

and about my noobie status... i started to code on c64 when i was 11 or 12 ('92-'93?), the language being basic 2.0 (& bits of assembler at the end); i sold my commie in 1996, i think, and i haven't been programming anything ever since, i focused on making music instead. my c64 games weren't released anywhere - mainly because they were crappy & almost everything (sprites, music, fonts) was ripped from other games - & they wouldn't survive if they weren't backed up on my friend's floppies (he's got 6 c64s now, heh). i'll probably release them somewhere soon, for the sake of nostalgia...
morfeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 00:10
aaaalrgihtie, i installed dbpro @ my sis' machine & edited it there... now there's a new option which lets you choose the speed the game will be running at. hopefully the low speed mode will make playing a tad easier. download & enjoy.

http://www.geocities.com/m0rfeus/kipple.html

http://strony.wp.pl/wp/morghlith/kipple.html
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 01:50 Edited at: 5th Apr 2003 01:51
Here's some sample code I often give away If you use this system your game will run at the same speed on all PC's regardless, and yet still run at the maximum framerate of the computer for optimum smoothness.

(The difference between this sample and the one in the Meteors thread is that the example function is in English )

morfeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 03:49
mmmkay, thanks. i don't think i'll be using it in kipple, though, as there are some very rigid rules concerning monsters' movement and it would take a completely rewritten movement procedure... the new version just changes sync rates, but it works pretty well.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 03:51
That is much better - I actually managed to complete 1 level now!! But that was on LOW speed (didn't notice any difference to be honest) and with no meteors.

The problem isn't the baddies, I'm getting quite used to killing them, it's the giant bloody pacman that eats you!! You seriously don't get much time to finish your task. I would DOUBLE the time you get on and even then it would still be quite a challenge. I think it's just my PC, maybe on a slower one it'll be a lot easier, but whatever you're using for the timer routine it's killing me quickly

I could understand if I sucked at games.. but I don't

Great entry though!

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
morfeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 05:12
eheheee... the bloody pacman celebrity appears ONLY in the 1st level, ONLY if you manage to kill yourself twice... what's most unfortunate, it doesn't pop up anywhere later in the game.

i'll test the game tomorrow (blah, today... it's 4am already) on some better (>1Ghz) machines, but i'm pretty sure the speed will be the same, since the framedropping phenomenon doesn't exist in dbpro. hmmm... ever tried to play the the original version? actually, try the remake, the original version is much less dynamic - i included both links in readme.txt; the link to ccs64 (the emulator) is http://www.computerbrains.com/ccs64/.

ok, i'm going to zzzzzzzz now...
xtom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 16:14
Cool game, and very polished looking. It is quite hard though, and I don't think it's the sync rate or a pc speed issue. Your probably so used to testing it you find it easy to play, but for someone else to pick up and play it is a tad on the difficult side. Of course you don't want to make it too easy either.
morfeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2003 05:01
ok, i tested it & i can tell that the speed is the same on every machine (well, except for the slower ones - i have to play in 16bit colour depth if i want it to run properly on my cpu). xtom - you're probably right... i can usually make it to the 5th-6th level (starting from the 1st one, with 'insane' setting) hardly concentrating on the game, just reacting mechanically...
a few tips might come handy, though:

- master dodging the bullets by staying behind the pillar for a second (quickly tapping the opposite directions)
- move constantly, do not sit in one place too long even if it seems cosy & quiet - it won't be that peaceful in a moment
- don't be afraid to use the secondary weapon if enemies are nicely lined up
- meteors won't hurt you, they are there in order to wreck your optic nerve & inflict paranoia
- if the default music bugs you, you can place an mp3 of your choice in the music dir; the name must be kipple.mp3 (i was about to release the game with mp3 soundtrack, but the filesize would be too big for such a small game; besides, all that legal stuff... it made me change my mind; i'm really looking forward for the vorbis plugin to show up)

there. hope it helps.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 10:33:18
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 10:33:18