Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / [LOCKED] What good is physics force damage?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I been trying to set up a layer to where the player has to survive on wits alone(no weapons what so ever) the trick is to carry an explodable gas tank to a crate, then find something to throw at the tank to make it explode, I lowered the strength of the tank, and jacked up the physics force damage of the object to throw, they go "clink" but no explosion. What am I doing wrong?

"Mushrooms, Snakes, and you!" the selfhelp book for badgers
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2006 04:06
ou need to set the damage modifier on the gas tank to greater than the health on the tank. this should work for your needs.

RF

Zerodin
Years of Service
User Offline
Gonna try that, thanks!

Zerodin
Years of Service
User Offline
Didn't work. used several objects to throw.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2006 06:50 Edited at: 20th Jun 2006 06:51
I have landmines that can be picked up and thrown - effectively being used like a grenade.

If you play with adjusting the settings of both entities in their editor properties you should get it to work.

Not sure it would - but if you look at some of the default explosive objects and study their script files/place some in a test level and view how their properties are set up to see if you can see how they might differ from your entities set ups then you may discover where you need make adjustments.

Look carefully at all the settings - try and think logically.

It can work - some adjustments to entities properties should do it.

I would suggest that if you continue to find difficulty - then forget your game scenario a minute and just get things set up say so that you can make the explosive objects actually explode individually.

For instance if you make all of the separate explodable objects so that you can pick them up and throw them at a wall do they explode?

If they do then you that part is proven so you move on to another possibility.

In an explosive entities settings try adjusting the physics settings - and pay some attention to both the weight and friction as well as everything else.

If you really get stuck make some large adjustments rather than small ones that sometimes helps as sometimes a setting may be a just tad away from success and adjusting by small amounts one can get frustrated assuming its never going to work - large variations can sometimes bring a visual change in behaviour to the front quickly.

Keep at it and you will get there.

Note : before changing any settings its worth noting the defaults first so you can reset them if necessary.

Tip : I try to take a screen shot of entities properties settings in editor - then I print them and file them so I can refer in future - very useful once yove cracked a problem - by saving a copy of your entities settings - you wont forget them if you keep adjusting later and forget the settings when something may have worked previously and then does not. Keeping a copy of them also helps a great deal by not having to open other levels consatntly to check some entities settings you adjusted and set up previously in another level.

Hope that helps.

"I am and forever will be your friend"
Zerodin
Years of Service
User Offline
So in otherwords, you don't know.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2006 23:02 Edited at: 20th Jun 2006 23:03
I know - I am not going spell it out for you any further than the indicators I and others have given you which tell you how to do it - by putting in some effort - yourself.

Zerodin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2006 04:51 Edited at: 21st Jun 2006 04:52
You and me are not gonna get along, next time someone asks you for help, try to sound less condescending. Since your a mod I'll just leave it at that.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2006 06:07
I would if I were you but thats your peraogative - mine is not to give you any helpful suggestions in future.

Take as you put it "I dont know".

End of my comments here. Good luck in your FPSC gamemaking.

Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2006 13:44
@Zerodin- Uman knows a great deal about FPSC so I would be a bit carefull when saying that he doesn't know. Now to your problem with his help, what god would it do you if he were to tell you the exact steps to do something? what would you learn, probably not alot. The answer to your problem is pretty simple, I have explained it already. Remember the game making process is all about troubleshooting things. so if my directions didn't work then tweak a things until it works. Here is a screenshot that may help you.

RF

Attachments

Login to view attachments
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2006 16:16
In what way was Uman's initial response condescending?

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 22nd Jun 2006 18:04
There is one certainty concerning FPSC, and that is that nothing is certain. What works in one level may not work in another, and certainly what works on one computer may not work on another. The possibilities of combinations of entities and scripts make any given outcome unpredictable. We are finding this to be more true as people become increasingly involved in custom scripting.

The advice and answers given were correct and excellent, above and beyond what was asked. uman's answer was, as always, thoughtful and helpful.

There is no one answer for every situation. It will take some trial and error and a bit of imagination to achieve some goals. That's just the way it is.

Crazy Grandpa
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2006 18:07
Quote: "There is one certainty concerning FPSC, and that is that nothing is certain."

Amen to that.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2006 04:36
Zerodin,
Uman is very helpful.Just because he doesn't do all of the work for you is no excuse for your act of disrespect.
He also has a way of explaining things that I wish I had.
I understand everything he is saying when he posts.
He didn't have to help at all.
It has nothing to do with who is or isn't a mod.
Good manners are never a waste of time.
The next time someone helps you you should try saying "thanks" instead...
Everyone was polite to you and we expect the same in return.
By all means feel free to look up the word "manners" in the dictionary.
You might learn some interesting information.

Zerodin
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm just gonna walk away from this little argument, before it gets ugly. I don't like being talked down to. Another post like the one above is about all it's gonna take. It's probably best if this topic gets closed.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2006 06:22
Locking this thread is a good idea.Since you requested it I have no problem with it.Nobody is talking down to you.I am just asking that you use manners and think about what you post before you post it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 21:27:36
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 21:27:36