Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Wall Help please

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2006 20:44 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2006 20:50
Take a look at this for me. I am trying to make a partial wall. I make the part I dont want to be seen in black, the part I want to be seen in a texture. I am using signs2 to make the wall. Everything comes out fine except for the edges of the black as you can see. here are the specs..

I am using corel photopaint7 for the creation of the image.

tried to save in jpg, tga format, but still get the same problem.

Saved in 24bit format, tried 32 but it crashes signs2.

I just cant seem to get the black edges to dissapear.

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

Login to view attachments
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 3rd Jul 2006 21:04
I just looks like your transition from black to texture is not clean.

Crazy Grandpa
Stamina
Years of Service
User Offline
what I did was create a black background, then created the texture over top of it. going to try something else.
Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2006 21:16
Don't think you can get away from that.

Stamina
Years of Service
User Offline
AHHHH,,so it's not just me then..lol
Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2006 21:27
No, I used signs 3 and you see what it looks like.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2006 21:46
You can remove the black areas - if you remember that black has to be 100% Black in order for transparency to work. In a graduated tone colur image then it can be difficult as some areas of an image could be 98% black and not show as transparent but would appear black in game to the player.

In the instances above the alpha channel is incorrect if you dont want to see the black - Photopaint is poor at handling transparency in TGA file. In fact Im not sure that it exports an alpha channel data at all inside them - I dont believe it does, but may be wrong. The Corel products also have some variation in how it describes 100% black in various file formats upon export relating to the colour table used and its conversion on file export.

Anyway you need a prog that outputs a perfect alpha channel (either 100% black for 100% transparency or graduated greyscale which you may need to convert to 24 bit colour ((greyscale))graduated tone for flexibility of transparency percentages) and some experience of making up and using alpha channels to be sure of getting it right and then it can sometimes be very difficult with some image formats and FPSC object types.

I believe that Photoshop and Maybe PSP handle alpha channels better and some have plugins like the Photoshop NVIDIA .dds convertor for helpful and controlled specifying of alpha channel data export settings.

"I am and forever will be your friend"
Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2006 22:26
Well tried psp and photoshop and both look the same.

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2006 00:12 Edited at: 4th Jul 2006 00:15
Indeed Alpha channels will eliminate that problem with ease. The .jpg method is faulty because .jpg file contain 'artifacts', and that ruins a 0-rgb value.
@candles- I think uman was referring to making a true alpha map as opposed to creating the .jpg in Photoshop or Paintshop pro.

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2006 00:23 Edited at: 4th Jul 2006 00:23
True... don't use signs, use photoshope (I know it doesn't end in e). Photoshope is much more powerful and allows non-compressive formats (stop bugging me about that e) which will not render as black. Originally it looked like you used photoshope but did the autoselect thingy (ENOUGH... I want it to end in e and it SHALL end in e) which did not select everything. Try bitmap (BMP) horrible compression but they are flawless.

If that does not solve it, you need to MANUALLY make a dds file. And force compression to 0. There is a photoshope plugin from nvidia I belive (can you STOP bugging me). And... an insane person who might just search for it.

Your Mod was deleted by the Government.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2006 00:46
Yes of course I meant a real alpha channel - what other kind is there! - (not a question).

.dds with alpha chamnnel is by far the best format and making them yourself is more exact than FPSC converting formats internally.

You could try PNG as you can often get auto recognition of the transparency (black) colour inside FPSC for PNG files which seem to work quite well when FPSC handles them.

Forget any other file formats for transparency I recon.

Whichever method or file format you use in any case - makes absolutely no difference if your artwork image with alpha is not correctly made up - the result will still be ugly black edges and alike in areas where you dont want them - thats simply the fault of the image creation.

For example leaves on a tree - if the areas to be transparent on your image are not perfectly black and wholy 100% black where you need the transparent areas then you will have black edges to your leaves. If the image is correct you wont.

In your paint program try extensively inspecting areas that you assume to be black with the eye dropper tool - in a 24 bit colour image your black areas for transparency need to show as 0,0,0 - anything else just wont do anywhere you want 100% transparency.

"I am and forever will be your friend"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 23:17:39
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 23:17:39