Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / FPS & Google SketchUp are compatable w/ each other?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I read about google sketchup in this month's newsletter and downloaded it last night and tried it. In minutes I was laughing out loud and amazed. Does anyone have any experience using this to create content w/ FPS of any other GameCreators Ltd. software or lnow anything about loading or using with same?

mark_pouncey

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2006 04:19
Don't get too amazed with it.. sadly you need the full Pro version (all £300 / $500 of it) to export to 3DS, the format DBPro supports It's a great little tool, and way over priced. I guess Google bought it so people could make content for Google Earth, and little else.

The newsletter piece was a bit misinformed (Lee had told me that 6.2 supported Sketch Up, but had neglected to say WHICH version it supportd! So I got the wrong one when writing the article). Arse.

Bite my shiny metal ass
Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2006 11:36
no theres a demo for sketchup that i got a long time ago that exports in .3ds but it only has 500 minutes of use

http://www.shockforums.tk
flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2006 19:29
do what i do, download the free version of SketchUp, and make your insane model that takes hours on end, then download the demo version that is timed, and export, close it, and go back to free version! works like a charm. exporting taked less than a minute, and you get around 500 minutes, so, it works pretty well.

but u can only export to .3ds and when ever i try to convert em to .x, they always loose their texture, so i cant get em into fpsc, only dbp

Your signature has been erased by a mod
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2006 01:09
Does their license agreement allow you to do that? It could be a legal issue.

-Keith

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2006 02:19
I dought you can sell any thing you make with the free version. All you are doing by using the 500 minute export one with the free demo, is breaking the licence.

Me can talk out my arse.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2006 03:07
I think there might be a licensing problem.If you could just do that they wouldn't sell very many copies of the full version.

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2006 03:45
hmm..... well tats not good.... uh...... SHHHH!!! i wont do it again!

Your signature has been erased by a mod
mark_p
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm not overly concerned with the legal issues right now but I thank you for your input. I am very concerned with getting off the ground quickly with gamecreator software to put together content & have something to show a.s.a.p. I am sure I wouldnt try to sell anything that would end in a legal dispute but the part about not getting it to load with the textures is very usable input that tells me a lot. I wouldn't want to waste $500 bones to find out that the pro version I shelled out for is unusable and nobody cares but me.
I am grateful to you'se guys for taking the time for so much feedback. I just recieved download permission for FPSCreator Yesterday & I was up til early this a.m. just looking at the demos & am waiting for my box in the mail now. I didn't even think this message was going to be posted last night when I went to bed. I wonder if you guys know what the dudes that made this program used to make content with. What I mean is, if I want to start making my own characters and scenery and stuff that will have the same look and do it so's I can import it into my own game-- what is the best software to use in a price vs. bang for the buck breakdown? Is it the software they sell on thegamecreators website? Do they use their own stuff to make these models with? I would love to get off on the right foot with this as I have had a couple'a real frustrating years going round and round with a piece of this and a piece of that, and still don't really have but 1/2 or less of a buncha different things I dont know how to make work or won't work.
Sorry if I made this post too long, but I am really hot to turn out some product and I hope ya'll will be willing to volunteer your opinions on this.
kind regards, mark_p

mark_pouncey

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 23:27:54
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 23:27:54