Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / CannonBalls - Bust A Move Clone Complete! Download here...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 19:38
After much annoyance at things with the collision going wrong... they still aren't completely fixed. I haven't really finished the game and it has an unfinished feel to it, but seeing as the deadline is tommorow, I thought I'd get it in.

On the other hand, I'm quite pleased with what I've accomplished, it's the most finished game I've ever done and it is OK in terms of gameplay (I'm sick to death of testing it but there you go), it includes a 30 level Arcade mode and a level editor where you can make sets of 100 level games and play them.

No music is there, there are a few sound effects but as I said.. it has an unfinished feel. Also there is double text which is very annoying, I cannot fix it.

Enjoy...

http://members.lycos.co.uk/dbasic/ - Go to the CannonBalls section in the projects section.
Why the hell'd you ask me for crying out loud!?!
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 19:45
Damn! The sites not working ... crappy lycos, they said the service would be improved after they relocated. Tell me if you manage to access my site.

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 20:37 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2003 20:39
We got a two day extension Hamish, it's at the top of the pro board
I'll give it a try...
[edit]
No joy, sorry

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 20:38 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2003 23:42
Cool!

[edit]

The lycos sites are working now!

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 01:26
Good game! That double text thing, as you say, is bloody annoying and spoils what is a VERY playable game. For some reason I like the satisfying noise of the cannon!

I am also trying to work out why your website uses the same font and colour scheme as mine. Maybe it's just similar taste. I might even put something on mine if I get the time.

Gronda, Gronda
scribbley
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 02:43
Plays really well and as a fan of bust a move I think you have done a great job of the engine. Can you add the cursor up key which in bust a move centres the target as that would be nice. My only comment would be that I would like to see it made a little more fun ie more speech, and maybe some background graphics or something to give it character (In my head I could hear the ready... goooo!... in a japanese voice )

But very cool game
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 09:58 Edited at: 4th Apr 2003 10:01
Oh man, I right click to save target as, it gathers the file info for your .zip file, then changes on me, and your home page appears where the screenshot should be.
If I simply left click on the dl link, I get the same thing, only it tells me.. wait, maybe I can trick it...
[edit]

This is what appears in the screenshot window:

You try to download this file from a member page hosted by Tripod for free :
http://members.lycos.co.uk/dbasic/CannonBalls.zip
To access this file, you need to visit the member page :
http://members.lycos.co.uk/dbasic
(you will be redirected in 5s)

Which just takes me back to your homepage

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 18:17 Edited at: 4th Apr 2003 18:19
Danmatsuma - I think it was you who had problems downloading my last link wasn't it Danmatsuma? The link is set to the automatic frame, which is the inset one which is why the error message comes up in that frame, but since it is a download link it should make no difference. I don't really know what is wrong.

Sonic - Thanks, the text is annoying and I seems that other people are having the same problem (look on the 2D board) with compiled versions of their programs. The font I found by looking through the selection on powerpoint myself (slicker) and I've also used it for the game if you look carefully. Actually I copied the style from Rich's website, I think it was his - http://www.binarymoon.co.uk not yours however (I guess its just as bad ). If that had a nagging 'why do you suspect me' type of tone, I didn't mean it to!

Scribbley - Thanks again! As I said the game has a generally uinfinished feel to it. I will be trying to add all those features over the weekend (along with doing my statistics coursework and I have found a nice beach scene which could be one of the backgrounds). I still have no luck with the music, I am for a sea shanty type tune (there is a pirate) or just some generally arcade game tunes. Any ideas would be welcome. Do you mean when the up key is pressed the arrow (cannon)would centre? I'll be adding that feature then, thanks for the backup.

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 18:51
Yeah that was me, seems I'm haveing serious trouble accessing lycos sites in general though, so don't mind me, just wanted to try your game is all..

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 01:25
Oh Dear! That happened to me a few times in the editor. Does it do it when the ball collides with another ball on the left hand side? In the editor it usually says "object doesn't exist on line 274" or something like that.

It's because my collision system is rather complicated and I think I didn't account for the balls being placed over the sides of the grid. I have tried to fix it but it happens so little that it's hard to pinpoint.

There is also a prob with the collision where on the right hand side the ball gets placed totally out of place with the grid and then when the balls wobble it pops into position just outside the grid boundry.

Thanks for the comment.

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 16:05
Hey perhaps the total width of the balls lined up accross the screen is one or 2 points larger than your boundary, maybe if you enlarge that by a point or so it could fix that, worked for me in some cases

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 17:04 Edited at: 5th Apr 2003 17:10
Quote: "worked for me in some cases"

Did you get it to download and if so, did you get it to work by editing the source code?

And I first started doing the collision like you said, by placing the balls relative to the ball it collided with. But I figured that as well as that being very hard to do, the balls may also end up being placed further and further away from where they should be placed.

So I now do it by having an array for the grid slots, and the ball position is detected relative to the ball it collides with, but instead of placing it relative to that ball, it places it in a slot relative to the slot that the collision ball is in.

My problem is arising because the ball is being detected to the right of the the collision ball, and being placed out of the grid. I tried to alter the code so that if the ball was placed in a slot outside of the grid, the ball would be placed one to the left, but it didn't work !

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 17:40
NoNoNoNo!! I still can't dload your game, I'm talkin' 'bout a similar situation in my retro entry, just sounded a little similar to your problem, I'm just extrapolating from your screenshots and comments

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 18:44
New screenie... Tell me what you think, I've added a background (does it suit the game?) and smoke if you look carefully.

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 19:08
Well I'd probably cartoonify that background to make it more in keping with your game elements If you have photoshop, something like the cutout filter would be an option, folowed by judicious find edges type stuff...also you could just leave the outside of the frame areas black, and put score info and maybe some pirates waitin' in the wings for when the active one dies. but I see like a pirate ship in the background flying the jolly roger skull 'n crossbones personally

Heh, when you lost a life, the other pirates could make you walk the gangplank before takin' over at the cannon, only to have to be pushed off the gangplank by the last pirate... That could be stuff you could put either side of the main frame, to give a more balanced look
Still, cute and very retro

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 19:38 Edited at: 5th Apr 2003 19:40
You may be hoping for a bit too much ! I've got to do that today if I'm gonna do it, cos I have to go and see my baby cousin tomorrow all day! Ive implimented the cartoon look with photoshop, thanks for the advice, and I will maybe add some more animations and take into account what you suggested.

Anyone else want to have some input? Danmatsumas doing pretty good seeing as he hasn't actually played on the game!

scribbley
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 22:47
Well the background adds so much for me . Now all you need is some cartoon music and some speech. Ready.... Go......

I would also add a little while dot or 2 at the top left of your bubbles to make them look more bubble like. (and bottom right.)

But the most important thing is fine in my opinion and thats gameplay
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2003 00:16
I have been searching and searching for music and I cannot find ANYTHING. I have a captain pugwash theme tune (to go with the pirate theme) but it is very short and gets incredibly annoying when looped over and over again.

I meant for the bubbles to be cannonballs (hence the title) and I may try and texture them to give a more metallic feel (they are spheres not plains).

I now have it so that when it goes to the continue? screen, another pirate pokes the current pirate in the backside with a sword, into the water (I'm trying to create a splash) and takes his place. A bit of fine tuning and that will be fine.

I am also trying to recreate the speach by recording my own voice low and slowly, then speeding it up, but I can't seem to get it right, but I will put my best attempt in the game .

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2003 00:31
Hehe, sounds like fun hamish

KamaKase
Years of Service
User Offline
I love the pirate animations...they're great!!! Just one prob I found, it's almost impossible to get the spheres to go in gaps say ermmm....

O O
O X O

Say you wanted the new orb to go in position X, even if aimed well, it flicks to.

O O
O O
X

Oh well, makes it harder I suppose. Well done!!

KamaKase
Years of Service
User Offline
DAMN!!! It deleted my white space.
(I's are now spaces)

IOIOI
OIXIO

and

IOIOI
OIIIO
IIIXI

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2003 01:04
I can make the collision area less wide, Ill see if it makes it better.

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2003 01:10
OK, I'm not sure about what the collision changes have done but I've found another bug. When there are balls disappearing at the same time as the rest of the balls move down, sometimes it tries to do something to a ball that isn't there, causing a runtime error, probably what DerFallendeEngel was talking about. I'll try and fix it...

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2003 01:15
Hey, do any of you think that if I were to use a real variable as a flag for certain routine and I gave that variable a value of say - 3, could the value of it end up being slightly over 3 like '3.001'? If so, that could be my problem.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 02:05:52
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 02:05:52