Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Super Kario DBPRO (Retry Compo)!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey!. At Last Here is the final version of Super Kario DBPRO!

http://www.lcuriel.arrakis.es/skario

Hope you enjoy the game!
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 20:36
That is amazing, the best I've seen so far, I think your in for a good chance of winning.

Why the hell'd you ask me for crying out loud!?!
morfeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 01:51
yea, plays nice. too bad the sewer levels slow down a great deal (but that's
my ghetto p533, d'oh)... i always wondered - what kind of mushrooms does mario
eat? my head... it seems... so far away from my feet...

oh, and the game over screen made me cry (i laughed so hard).
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 04:09
How do you go through the doors at the end of the level. I tried, Space, enter, clicking etc.

Current Project: Retro Compo. Entry.
KuRi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 12:15 Edited at: 4th Apr 2003 12:15
Through the door?
NO no, go right, through the green tube at the end of the Map!!

Hehe. Good Luck!

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 13:01
Very good Extremely good playability! All the nice little touches are in there, well done.

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
Eponick
Years of Service
User Offline
Everything was great!
Except the title screen, I didnt get to see it because it wasnt updating the screen and it smered everything all over the place

Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 23:36
yes
really cool
great work

FurEffect
Years of Service
User Offline
I was having great fun UNTIL I started firing the fire balls the game just locked on me!!! mind you amazing entry... serious contender.

DaZ

"There is only two ways of this island, the first is in pieces and the seconds with me." -(ReX/DaZ)
Lord Belial
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, quite a good game. I'm a big fan of Miyamoto games =). At first, the small camera movement almost gave me a motion sickness but after a couple of seconds the fun had begun =). There are two games at wich I was realy a bad player, Tetris and Super Mario Bros so I still havent seen the end of your game. but up to the second level, its realy good and quite faithfull. A quite solid entry =). Good Luck!

Lord Belial
KuRi
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, there was a 1% chance of locking when shotting at enemies. Now it is corrected. Feel Free to Re-Download the game from my site.

You will know you have the new version if the zip file includes a README.TXT file. Really Thanks FurEffect...

Good Luck Everyone. KuRi

FurEffect
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey jus glad to help Solid entry, best iv personaly seen so far.

Gud luck m8

DaZ

"There is only two ways of this island, the first is in pieces and the seconds with me." -(ReX/DaZ)
Cras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2003 03:11
is the shooting fireballs meant to sound like him ejaculating in a cartoony way? Great game tho, i dont wanna enter my game anymore
darkCorridor
Years of Service
User Offline
great! i love Mario! or rather kario lol

[br]mikey
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2003 19:31
WOW! Just downloaded and been playing for more than 5 minutes, which is a record for me and most DB games. Runs really nicely of my P4. Well done.

Gronda, Gronda
CloseToPerfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2003 16:06
what kinda of frame rate should i be getting, mines only 24 - 27 and it's playint slower then hell, I have a 1gig p3?
CTP

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2003 19:37
Very playable HATE the Up for Jump thing tho, couldn't you cange it to Alt/Ctrl/Space/Shift? But its a very accurate conversion and feels right Good job

Coming Soon! Kangaroo2 Studio... wait and quiver with anticipation! lol
samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
KuRi
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello Again Everybody. Sorry about the slowdown on your computer. The problem is not the graphics (they are very low polygon models very optimized).

The problem is the number of collisions been checked at the same frame. There are lot of collision boxes on every stage (especially 2nd), and to check the collision with every enemy, mario, fire, etc... is very slow...

The problem is every object must check the collision with other objects to make the slide collision. This is a problem that has been corrected in patch4, with the multiple objects slide collision...

Ok. Good Luck Everybody! See you soon! (perhaps 20th of April, hehe)

Cras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2003 23:13
i get excellent speed, only i played it so long my arms ached. can u please make a version for a 4 button joypad. just use the replace thingy to replace all commands. then ill definitely play it to the end. if you cba then i wont lose sleep
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2003 00:48 Edited at: 12th Apr 2003 00:49
"The problem is the number of collisions been checked at the same frame. There are lot of collision boxes on every stage (especially 2nd), and to check the collision with every enemy, mario, fire, etc... is very slow..."

Hmm Kuri, you should build up a list of all the objects that are in the screen using OBJECT IN SCREEN (which now works with P4), then ONLY do the collision checks on them. This might cause a few problems though. Alternately, you could only do checks on objects that are within a certain range of the player.

KuRi
Years of Service
User Offline
"Hmm Kuri, you should build up a list of all the objects that are in the screen using OBJECT IN SCREEN (which now works with P4), then ONLY do the collision checks on them. This might cause a few problems though. Alternately, you could only do checks on objects that are within a certain range of the player"

This is a problem in my game too. There are lot of objects (enemies...) that are always moving and must be collision checked, althoug they are not in screen. I already thought about that, but the result was too poor.

Thanks Anyway, of course!

rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2003 05:05
It could be that the attached media is slowing it down...

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kousen Dev Progress >> Currently Working On Editors
lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2003 05:23
this might sound stupid but did you use the command to set the draw distance.

2ghz, ati radeon mobility 32mb DDR, 30gb, 256mb DDR ram, Win Xp

http://www.apollo-design.com
Cras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2003 12:53
if it makes you feel good, it sounded stupid to me
Wayne
Years of Service
User Offline
thats what starts flaming and arguing and crap right there! Damn jokes like that!

A waste of my time,
I swear to god.
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2003 19:32
@Kuri

Where is the source code for your entry (it is mandatory to distribute it ) - I am away for the next 2 weeks but when I get back, I'll take a look at the code and see if I can speed it up or not.

Other options to increase the speed would be to do simple distance checks on the object before collision checks.

Cras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2003 21:36
encahtisoft: some people on these forums are mates and thus wouldnt take another persons joke to heart.

fallendeengel: he said he mite be able to do something and never once said he was better. dont be so pedantic (i dont know what that means)
KuRi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2003 21:39 Edited at: 12th Apr 2003 21:39
Hello Rob K. The source code is with the game i sent to Dark Basic. It will be available when the results are...

I DO distance collision before checking the object collision when available.

Thanks Anyway for you help. I have tried lot of things and it is really hard to optimize (Keeping up Playability of course...)

Thanks Again!

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2003 23:56
"Rob K , what makes you think that you're better programmer than kuri?"

Nothing. I didn't suggest that I was a better programmer either, but you never know, maybe I will find a way of making it faster, maybe I won't. From what Kuri has said, it sounds pretty well optimised already though.

Don't be so rude, I am only trying to help, I am not trying to suggest that I will manage any better.

KuRi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2003 14:32 Edited at: 13th Apr 2003 14:34
DerFallendeEngel: I want you to shut up now please please. I really like people trying to help.

I know Rob K is only trying to make my game better, and i thank him for that. When the compo results get finished i will send the source code to him to see what he can do.

Anyway perhaps i will re-code the game with Patch 4 to get better results. The only way i could optimize the game was creating a range collision for every object (example: object 5 collides with object in (10,20), etc... but was too hard to code).

Please no more discussions about this...
Cheers. KuRi

Cras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2003 14:44
what a bout a joypad version give it a real retro feel. I WANNA USE MY JOYPAD DAMNIT *breathes* ok calming down now... please
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2003 15:20
Good luck in the compo. Kuri, I really enjoyed this entry, and Rich has an absolute monster of a PC (3Ghz / Radeon 9700), so performance really won't be an issue

kevil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2003 15:39
Maybe I have an idea for the collision to speed it up. You can make some sort of grid. So the whole world will be divided in little squares. Then you can easily calculate in which square an object is. And if an object is in the same square or the square next to the square with the other object, then you have to check for collision.

Ok, this may sound a bit strange, but I used the same for my game.

Anywayz, very good game. I actually finished the game .

Kevil

KuRi
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Kevil, i thinks that is a good idea. But i would need to rewrite all the collision code... but it is a good idea. The best i can do is recode it with patch 4, but it is not an easy job, there are lot of changes that affect my game. Anyway the game is already submitted, hehe, so the DarkBasic Team will decide.

About the JoyPad Version. I wanted to do the game with define keys and joypad support, but the time is always a problem. When i have time i will add both features and i will upload the new version.

Thanks All for the comments. Good Luck Everybody too!

TRS80Model1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2003 20:44
@Kuri, I was wondering if it would be ok to attach one of my skeletons to your Mario model and use it in my game. Is this ok?
UberTuba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2003 20:55 Edited at: 20th Apr 2003 20:55
I cant gaet past lvl 4.

Life is a terminal disease.
You never survive it.
KuRi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2003 22:41 Edited at: 20th Apr 2003 22:42
Of Course you can use the mario model (it is not originally made from me. I took the model, asked the owner to use, and then i changed some vertices and textures.)

If you want it, you can contact with me at: lcuriel@arrakis.es and i will give the model or the email of the creator.

ok?

TRS80Model1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2003 01:39
Thanks

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 20:57:40
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 20:57:40