Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Question about 3DworldStudio and FPSC

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2006 12:40
Hi everyone,
I am thinking of buying 3Dworldstudio, but first I would like to ask a few questions about how it works with FPSC.

1. If I make a lvl in 3Dworldstudio, do I then Export it as an .X file and make it an object in fpsc=?
2. Will it reduce the problem with Low Fps?
3. how well does it work with FPSC?

Thanks everyone.

Essal

He Who Visits The FPSC Forum, Returns 10 minuters later, to see whats new.
Essal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2006 16:17
no one can answer me? or isnt anyone on to=?

Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
It will work, but only in test mode, for some reason you arent able to have multi textures when you build the game..

Just google pallmanni and get the history of me!

http://whatishl.ytmnd.com/ so friggin funny!
Essal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2006 16:35
So it wont be usefull with FPSC?

Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
not untill someone figures out why it doesnt work..

Just google pallmanni and get the history of me!

http://whatishl.ytmnd.com/ so friggin funny!
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2006 21:45
One dark mind, you can use multiple textures in the finished compile regaurdless of what hes saying. You only have to remember that the when compiling, the game is only going to package the texture files it says in the .fpe. Once you compile your game you'll need to manually place the textures involved in the .x files code into the folder by hand. Remember that if theres no texture listed in the fpe that the engine refers back to the .x file to get the information.

Hence, using as many textures as you want.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2006 22:39
And in answer to your other question, it wont help FPS.
Infact, I think it will actually make it worse.

"It's often better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're an idiot, than to open it and confirm their suspisions" - Noel Coward
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2006 00:13
ok I wrote a thread concerning this situation. But I will briefly explain it here.

Yes, 3DWS is compatable with FPSC. Yes, You can import objects from 3DWS in to FPSC. Yes you can see them in the finished/built game/level. Yes, there are some rules you need to remember.

When you import an object you have to do a few things based on wether or not you used multiple textures.

for objects with one texture do the following:

1) Import the object as a .x file (Directx file type) place the .x and texture files in to your fpsc entitybank/user folder.
2) Copy an .fpe file from another entity folder and paiste it in to your entitybank/user folder.
3) right click the .fpe file and select rename. make sure you type in the name of the object and then hit enter.
4) Next open the .fpe file in notepad. Now you will want to edit a few things.
a. change the name at the top of the .fpe to match your .x file
name
b. change the (model name).x to the name of your model name don't
forget to add the .x after the name.
c. change the texturing information to your texture file name
(the one that exported frmo 3DWS qith your .x file)
d. save the file
5) open FPSC and go to entities and then user and then place your object in to the editor and then test it. it will work. Yes even in a built game. this item can be static or dynamic.

For Multiple textured items do the following:

1) do the same as steps 1-3 and step 4a-4b as mentioned above.
2) for step 4cleave the texturing information blank.
(reason: the engine reads the .fpe file first since the texturing information is not present it then reads the directx file for the texturing information, inside the directx file it will have all of your uv cords set for every texture that you placed in 3DWS, and it will create a .dbo and .bin file based on the information presented in the .x file)
3) save the .fpe file
4) open FPSC and then place your new entity in to the editor.
5) right click the new entity and set item as dynamic
6) scroll down and set the "isimmobile" to "yes". this will keep the object stationary. now build a game and then place all of the texture files that were exported with your object in to the built game folder entitybank/user. as the .dbo and .bin files need the image files to render correctly.

This is the method that has worked for me on several occasions. Now for some advanced stuff for you (may not be advanced for most but for some it will help alot)

When creating an object in 3DWS you are most likely going to light the scene/object. so after you have lit the scnene/object simple export the model as a directx file and then again as a .dbo file.
The .dbo file when exported as will create a series of .bmp files that will have all of your lightmap information. (texture files with the lightmaps burned in to them) take these files (only the .bmp files) and place them in your entitybank/user folder. in the .fpe file leave the texturing information blank and it will call on the .x file for the texturing info and since the .dbo file has already been created (3DWS) it will nto make another it will base it off of the .dbo file currently in the folder. also since the .dbo file is already present when you build a game it will place the .dbo file you created in to the built game folder and providing you moved all of the .bmp files to the built game folder you should have an object that have lightmaps in the textures.

enjoy!

RF

this is just a condensed version I have a full tutorial on how to do this some where on these forums and I had one on my website as well (my website is down undergoing a face lift)

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2006 04:36
I was just getting ready to recommend Essel contact you, Dave.

Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: MAFIA 2
Posted: 8th Jul 2006 07:08
My advice is that You shourld try deled light instead, its also free and has a DBO plugin for download(!) All is free, pretty good isnt it? Pallmanni dosnt know what Hes talking about as usual so dont listen to Him! If You want 3D Woldstudio buy it!

Menu Extreme! The answer to Your save & load problem...
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2006 11:29 Edited at: 8th Jul 2006 13:38
Kieth- thanks man.
Mr.Love- yeah any program that exports as a dbo file will work

3DWS is awsome but it is limited. before you go and get 3DWS understand that you will probably want to create all of your meshes in an outside program (ie...[Blender, milkshape and wings3d)just to name a few, Blender is free (my Choice) Milkshape is 37 bucks if you go through world pay (I know because I own it) and wings3d is free (I downloaded it and wasn't very impressed)
It will be easier to create the world system and your models will not be to limited by 3dws's sad dll files.

To be continued......

*edit- continuation post*

One thing you need to keep in mind with all of this .dbo and .bmp talk is find out wether or not it is the .x text file or the .dbo file that contains the .bmps in these other programs people have mentioned. the bad thing about the .x text file is the FPSC engine will only read one .x file to build the .dbo and .bin file. I know some programs will export the lightmaps in the .x text file, i haven't tested the .x text file as much as I would have liked to.
I think I will make that a project for this weekend.

RF

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 23:19:47
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 23:19:47