Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Should I buy DGSDK?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2006 01:09 Edited at: 12th Jul 2006 01:27
Hi all,

I don't exactly take game proramming very seriously, not to say that I don't really like doing it, and of course I would like to et as good as possible at it, but I just dont want to do it for a career. However, despite the fact that DBPro is a great programming language, and that I wouldn't want to use anything much more advanced than that (such as C++) I have got really bored of the BASIC syntax that I have to use, and it just doesn't feel like my level, and as far as I can see, the DGSDK is just what I'm looking for, and I wouldn't have to hide away from professional programmers because of the embarrassement of using a BASIC language.

But, as I have already said, this isn't my life choice, and I don't want a career in game making, but I still don't want to be in the bottom ranks of it all.

Would DG SDK suit me fine? Or should I really just stick with DBPro?

Note: Do I have to have VC++ installed to use this?

Cheers

[edit]

And if anyone doesn't mind, could I see some DGSDK code (not the one from the site please), just so I get a rough idea of what I'm going into?

scooby bloke
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Note: Do I have to have VC++ installed to use this?
"

From the system requirements page in the DGSDK section of the website...

Quote: "Locally installed copy of Microsoft Visual C++ 6 (SP5+) or Microsoft Visual C++ .NET 2003"

So, yes. You're not going to be able to do much without a compatible compiler installed.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2006 15:34
Maybe wait until the .NET version is released (could be any day now). You can then use VB.NET or C# to code, which are both phenominally huge steps up from the DBP-Basic (shivers) programming environment, but don't have a steep learning curve like C++ does (should you choose dgsdk as is). The DGDK.NET has been tested with the free VS2005 Express packages and all seems just fine and dandy so you'd have a really strong ide and programming environment from the get go - you'd just need to get into the mode of OOP programming which shouldnt be too bad in say VB.NET.

Might be worth a look before you make your final decision on what to purchase - but all just mho

Science, Mathematics, and Physics do not lie - only people do.
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2006 20:30
Quote: "The DGDK.NET has been tested with the free VS2005 Express packages and all seems just fine and dandy so you'd have a really strong ide and programming environment "

Does that mean I don't have to buy anything apart DGSDK? And also does this mean that DGSDK doesn't have an IDE, it uses another one (such as VC++)?

Zeal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2006 20:31
Quote: " (could be any day now) "

Umm..

All you need is zeal
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2006 20:36 Edited at: 12th Jul 2006 20:42
Hmm, just found that it will soon be used with Dev C++, and I know that's free... this should be interesting

[edit]

Agh, says you have to have Pentium II Processor, I only have a crappy Celeron, pfft.

[editedit]

But, it also says you have to have that for DBPro, and I can run that, heheh.

APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2006 21:25
Quote: "Hmm, just found that it will soon be used with Dev C++"

This hasn't actually been decided yet.

Paul.

Home of the Cartography Shop - DarkBASIC Professional map importer
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2006 23:40
Quote: "Does that mean I don't have to buy anything apart DGSDK? And also does this mean that DGSDK doesn't have an IDE, it uses another one (such as VC++)?"

DGSDK and DGDK.NET have no ide's, they are runtime libraries, to be called from some form of oop code

DGSDK (current one): C++ Only, whichever ones are supported free or otherwise (not sure)

DGDK.NET (tba): C# or VB.NET works with free ide's like SharpDEV and the express versions of C#/VB.NET (free), and Visual Studio .NET 2003/2005 (purchase)

hope that helps

Science, Mathematics, and Physics do not lie - only people do.
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2006 02:00
So I couldn't use this with CodeBlocks or anything then?

Smoke sheath
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Zotoaster,

Just my 2p worth, but before you consider the jump, what sort of games are you writing (or considering to write) ? If its 2D sprite stuff (dont knock it you can do a lot with them) then DBPro is probably fine, but for 3D, especially heavy 3D go DarkSDK (after a few critical PC Upgrades - mobo & processor, a decent gfx card you can afford and all the ram you can eat, you must know that the Celeron is a cut down version of the chip yada yada yada no need to go into that here).

DBPro can be made to be relatively sophisticated. I will probably be disliked for this next bit but while i used DBPro i implimented pointers, something usually associated with c or c++. Now i know the language wasnt designed for that and you do have to be careful but it meant that you had more control that straight DBPro would automatically give you. Basically my point is if you want to stick to DBPro there are ways and means. For anything seriously serious DarkSDK is probably the way forward. Yes it means a different language but that comes with benefits. The only question you immediately have is what do you want to create ?

No Gir ! Thats Bad !
Smoke sheath
Years of Service
User Offline
Oops I forgot,

If you want some examples, mail me. I will take sections of my DarkSDK code, annotate them so you can understand what the hell is going in and email 'em to you back

No Gir ! Thats Bad !
Zeal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2006 00:07
Quote: "I wouldn't have to hide away from professional programmers because of the embarrassement of using a BASIC language."

This reason alone was enough for me to make the switch. Getting experience with a mainstream language is worth the 80 bucks (or however much dark sdk costs).

And when Dark SDK is finally patched, it will give you all the tools you need to make a comercial quality game, with the same easy to use interface youre already used to with dbpro.

So it seems like a no brainer to me.

All you need is zeal
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2006 02:36
Smoke sheath,

Well mostly what I made it DBPro, usually 3D games, and the genres often changed, but heh, I guess DGSDK could pull that off. Oh, and no need to over-do the comments in any examples you give me, I'm pretty familiar with the syntax, and the commands, I guess they're sort of the same as DBPro's, but no spaces and a 'db' stuck behind it, but obviously, don't put nothing

Zeal,

That's good news, thanks

The Master
Years of Service
User Offline
what is dev c++

No Pain No Gain
DELL 800MHZ 1GB RAM PENTIUM 4 MICROSOFT XP SP2
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2006 03:47
http://www.bloodshed.net

Guyon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2006 21:38
Quote: "CattleRustler wrote: Maybe wait until the .NET version is released (could be any day now). "

Is the net version released?
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2006 22:04
Nope

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2006 22:53
Would be best to wait until/if the GSDK update is availiable.

Come to the last Unofficial DBPro Convention (http://convention.logicstudios.net/)
Dont do anything I wouldn't do. But if you do, take pictures.
HWT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2006 01:30
Hi there
While on the subject, I have a small question.

Besides pricing and license and all that stuff, what advantage does DarkGAME SDK have over other commercial engines? If, as I expect, it has its own attributes that make it (and other engines) unique programming experiences, what kind of experience can I expect? Power and simplicity or just simplicity and standard amount of power?

Thanks a bunch

Hello World Tommorrow
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2006 01:42 Edited at: 6th Aug 2006 01:44
Its much simpler to use than most other engines (which usually require intimate knowledge of C++ - C4 is a case in point, and are about as clear as mud), but just as powerful. Documentation is decent, and isn't web based (3Impact) and isn't a mess. It may have mistakes in, but that should be fixed soon-ish.

The only other system thats as easy to use is 3Impact, but the problem with that is everything has to be run out of 1 main function, which is called at a fixed speed. Plus support only lasts a year.

Its cheaper than most ones as well. There are also a lot that aren't compatiable with VS 2005 too.

Come to the last Unofficial DBPro Convention (http://convention.logicstudios.net/)
Supplying "NO" since 1974...
HWT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2006 00:47
I noticed in the section on this website comparing DGSDK and DBP that the only variable was frame rate - does this mean that DBP is essentially equal to DGSDK in terms of power and ability? In other words, can I make what I make in DGSDK in DBP as well?

Hello World Tommorrow
Zeal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2006 01:50
Yup, every single command you had in dbpro, you have in dark gdk. Engine wise both perform about the same, but if youre doing complex logic/computations, thats where dark gdk kicks the crap out of dbpro.

Trust me, youll like it

All you need is zeal
HWT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2006 13:26
Wow! That's good to hear! I guess I'd better start savin` up. Thanks again for the insight.

Hello World Tommorrow
AlexHead
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, I've not used DBP or the SDK as of yet, but I've noticed many add on modules for DBP such as Dark Physics, Dark AI, etc. Can any of these command sets be implemented using the SDK?
AlexHead
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, I've noticed there are quite a few add-on modules for DBP. Can any of these modules be implemented in the SDK? I have no experience with either DBP or the SDK.
Ripster
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, I am going to be new to the DBP/SDK world very soon and I echo AlexHead's question. I like many of the add-on modules and extensions, but if they only work with DBPro and not the SDK, that would be a big let-down.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-17 07:24:52
Your offset time is: 2024-06-17 07:24:52