Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Is FPSC dead??

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2006 14:57
Quote: "You said to Me that You have sold 10000s of games, if thats the case then You shourld be a professional gamemaker right?"

First of all I wouldn't call myself professional, I do like the term independant(indie) game developer better. Besides creating games isn't my main occupation, it's one of the three.....

Quote: "How many changes do You think wourld be done if We dint ask for a better FPSC?
Answer: Not many!!"

Let's turn the question around.... how many changes have we seen because of all of the complaining? Answer: none!!

Quote: "I must say that it is quite strange that You as a professional dont ask for professional changes of FPSC???"

I've asked for changes, both in the feature creep forums and through contacting TGC directly. But I'm not constantly begging for the same old changes over and over again, I don't see a point in that. I'm very confident that TGC knows my whishes and that's enough, I don't have to ask over and over again and start yet another topic on the same thing we've seen a thousand times before.

I'm not against people asking for changes, I've done so myself, but this constant whinning is imo very unnessary and kind of annoying.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: MAFIA 2
Posted: 29th Jul 2006 15:34
Benji:
"how many changes have we seen because of all of the complaining? Answer: none!!"

Exampel1:
Wrong, Wrong and Wrongetywrong... Just take the AI as an example. If We here at the forum had not complained about the horrible AI in the EA, We wourld still have the EA AI in Version 1...

Exampel2:
Alot of people wanted physics! (I didnt think that the DBP engine courld handle that! I was wrong...)
Many had played Half Life 2 and was affected of it. They wanted to be able to move and throw...
And they got it.....

I wourld say most of the changes are done by listening to Us! (The market..)

I want to see a FPSC Professional! And lets make it REALLY expensive this time......
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2006 18:28
You're talking EA... we're talking V1.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: MAFIA 2
Posted: 30th Jul 2006 01:42
No, I am talking V1.. I am talking about the changes We did for V1 Together in this forum...

I want to see a FPSC Professional! And lets make it REALLY expensive this time......
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2006 02:42
Actually you are both correct and incorrect.

While I was using EA and beta testing V1 TGC had a lot of reports from this forum and beta testers relating to issues, bugs and also users suggestions for improvement or adding of additional features and functions to consider.

I personally added to the list in the beta testers forum at the time - requests for consideration to be given to many of the feature requests felt by forum members to be of importance to be added - such as save load and larger world size plus numerous others and also some suggestions of my own.

In truth by the time beta testers were involved in testing V1 the looming release date had ensured that most of the requests would never get the chance to be implimented as far too little time was available.

Almost all of the time of some months that I was invlolved in beta testing were spent with testers finding and TGC crushing bugs and fixing issues following the addition of Physics and other developments which was on the cards from TGC in any case and not due to user suggestion at all and the changed AI which is better or worse depending upon opinion together with the change to animation frame sets was related to numerous issues.

It is true to say that some improvements were made following both FPSC forum users comments and findings and supported by testers and TGC themselves all being at one with the suggestions, but by and large these were few and far between with the majority of requests being just impossible to consider in preference to TGC just getting many critical bugs, stability and show stopping issues fixed before release. If you think FPSC has some bugs or issues now - then believe me it would have had many more had TGC not squashed hundreds of them.

So its not a matter of TGC not listening - at all - TGC do listen and always did and if they are able to accommodate users requests they will do so.

In the case of V1 it was impossible for TGC and Lee in particular at that time to do anything more humanly possible than was done - time just ran out.

I have said this before here in the past - and for those who have no idea - Lee - I know had very little sleep indeed for some months in the run up to the V1 release and I know cos I often was in communication with him via e.mail throughout the day and night whilst beta testing. No one could have done more.

TGC will have a plan for post V1 inkeeping with their internal designs for the product and additionally to that users suggestions are of value and should be continued to be made and wherever possible I would suggest that TGC will impliment those that are seen as of importance to users and recognised as of the same importance to game makers in general in enhancing the games they make if they are able to do so.

To suggest that TGC do not listen to users I believe is incorrect - though for many reasons they may not be able to accomodate all or any particular request.

Keep making requests but have some patience as again TGC cant go any faster than they can go - FPSC will get its update when and if TGC see it as appropriate to do so and not before and they as you know wont and cant be influenced in any timed schedule for that.

Think Ive posted enough in this thread now so I will leave it to you guys to contemplate further if you wish.

"I am and forever will be your friend"
TheDude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2006 09:41 Edited at: 31st Jul 2006 09:50
( WARNING: I HAVE NOT READ THE ENTIRE THREAD EXCEPT FOR THE FIRST 3 posts )

Actually, if I may. The possibilities are endless with this software. You CAN make a great game with this, but it all depends on what you have and how you put it together. If you have a great 3d modeller with the right skills, and the entity maker, you can make almost anything, except for worlds like gta3, boiling point, etc. But there can be other ways around that I suppose.

As far as actual money making goes, I suppose if Tetris came out today instead ( what was it, early 80's? ). You think it would be a flop? Or would it still be famous? Tetris is addictive. Make a game like as if it's a drug, and you will get people to FOCUS on your game. See, it all sums down to IF people like your game or not. The gameplay. The look. The Story. Put some effort into it, and you may just create the best game ever! A game is a game. When you are finished, play it. Then ask youself, and 'be real', is this game good? Or is it NOT good?[u][/u]

Anybody know what I'm getting at here?

Straight outta compton
small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2006 17:55
If you buy fpsc own its own then it is useless but if you buy it with milkshape and Photoshop or any other modelling and texturing program then its a absolute god send I have to admit when I first got it I had doubts I had just brought a big expensive p.c pretty much just for it but after a month I have fallen in love with it there are ways it can be improved but for 20 pounds JUST 20 I cant recommend it enough the guys at game creators have done a wonderful job
(oh I only read the first few posts to)

The world is complicated only people are simple
Madwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
ive only distributed my stuff as freeware so far,
if i do ever sell anything it'd probably only be 25/50 pence [thats 4/2 copies that make 1 pound!,lol] if i put a large amount of effort then perhaps 1 pound but even that would be unlikely] i wouldnt do that to get rich but just a little bit of muny to help go towards buying better development tools etc.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 03:55:47
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 03:55:47