Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Question on download and cd version

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I have been noticing that a few people on the boards are able to do things that I cant, especially when I do it exactly to the letter of how they are doing it.

My question is, Could this problem be related to having the downloaded bought version installed and not the cd bought version?

Someone has mentioned that the multiplayer issue is related to that, and I was wondering if the problems I have been having could be related to that.

For example...I created MANY dynamic entities, but when I test my game, they are invisible or gone. No matter what format I use for the texture ie - .tga - .png - .jpg...it is always the same result, no entity, or an invisible entity. I know that sometimes it is invisible because when I try to walk thru the area the entity is supposed to be at, I run into something and have to walk around it, therefore, I know that SOMETHING is there.

Any input would be greatly appreciate.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2006 03:36
Quote: "Could this problem be related to having the downloaded bought version installed and not the cd bought version?"

They are identical, to the very last byte. There is no difference between them at all. The issues you are describing sound more like graphics card issues than anything (invisible objects, etc.. running out of vid memory maybe?). What sort of card is it?

Bite my shiny metal ass
Stamina
Years of Service
User Offline
hmmm,,,well, I dont think it's a graphics card issue when it's related to only custom entities that are placed as dynamic. If I place them static, they are perfectly fine. And there is SOME sort of difference between the 2, because with the download version installed, could not get multiplayer working at all on my local network. With the cd version installed, it works fine.
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2006 08:22
indeed it has allot to do with the placement and how the models were created and sometimes what effects are being used to render them. Wether it be bump or bumpbone ect.

Netdemons
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2006 10:46
Quote: "They are identical, to the very last byte. There is no difference between them at all. The issues you are describing sound more like graphics card issues than anything (invisible objects, etc.. running out of vid memory maybe?). What sort of card is it?"

Not what I found out!

I found I couldn't make multiplayer games on the donwloaded verson, but when I installed the CD verson I could make multiplayer games.

Quote: "And there is SOME sort of difference between the 2, because with the download version installed, could not get multiplayer working at all on my local network. With the cd version installed, it works fine."

Proof! Take that Richard Davey

... can I be a mod?

www.netdemons.co.uk - Creator of Recon : Crypt
Gamertag : Memory X2
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2006 12:22
Rich already told you that the downloaded version and the CD version are EXACTLY the same.
What part of that is so hard to comprehend?
I use the download version of FPSC.I have the CD version but I've never had to use it.
The download version works just fine for me.
TGC took the download version,burnt it on a CD,and sent it to you.
If you bought FPSC you should have both anyways.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2006 13:51 Edited at: 29th Jul 2006 13:59
Stamina,

It may be realated to your custom entities not being a saved in a compatible .x file description language.

Theres some variation in how differing progs generate the file format description on export depending on the model program used and the export filter and export settings used.

It may not in your case be this - but certainly incorrect file description or x.file errors can and does prevent entities from showing up in FPSC so it could be that.

If its not that then it may be that your entities are just being whisked away out of sight due to physics as you say its only dynamic entities it happens with. This can happen occasionally in FPSC due to mis behaviours of the program and once it happens its difficult to overcome as FPSC embeds info in the game file so it just keeps repeating the bad behaviours. It can happen simply by placing an entity somewhere that FPSC does not like it being and for no other reason. If this is the cause usually deleting the entities, exiting the prog and starting again placing entities in another position can overcome it.

If info gets embeded in the game then you may have to delete the entities .dbo and or .bin files before it will get removed and FPSC reset itself. Dont forget - dont delete anyhing unless you got backups.

It may be the positioning of the centre axis point of a model as created in a modeller - I always move my models up in modeller so that their base is just above the centre line of my model prog.

None of that may help but they are some things that have caused me problems in the area of entities not being visible.

I have personally never had that problem and found it being related either to the FPCS version or my video card(s)

Obviously your models should not be invisible so there is a reason for it - which if you can isolate it by eliminating possibilities will give you a fix.

Trouble is there could be numerous and a combined number of reasons for this happening.

"I am and forever will be your friend"
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2006 23:30
Quote: "I found I couldn't make multiplayer games on the donwloaded verson, but when I installed the CD verson I could make multiplayer games."

It had nothing to do with the fact it was on CD. They are identical, there is NO difference in the multi-player code between the two versions, none at all. Reinstalling obviously did the trick for you, but the same program was put back onto your PC, nothing different.

Bite my shiny metal ass
Stamina
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2006 23:41 Edited at: 29th Jul 2006 23:42
Well,,I wont argue the issue, I am just making a point. I installed the download version, tried to make a multiplayer game to test on my home network. The other person trying to join would just sit there and wait and wait,,,

SO, Since I figured there might be issues with my computer, I formatted my hard drive, reinstalled everything, then installed the download version again,,and again,,the same issue...

SO, then I decided to try the cd version. Uninstalled the download version, did a reg-edit to rid the registry of any lingering instances of FPSC, double checked my system for any files related to fpsc, found none, installed from the cd, the very first thing I did was try a multiplayer game, tried it on my network, ran perfect.

In every case, neither a router, nor a firewall was the issue. In every case I ran end it all, a program some people might know about, to stop un-needed programs in the background.

And just since I am a computer tech, and have several computers in the house, I put the download version on a single pc with nothing but the operatinf system on it, multiplayer would not work, reformatted and put the cd version on it with nothing but the operating system installed, ran perfect.

SO, basically, I respectfully have to disagree, but I believe every pc, every person has a different situation for everything and I will chalk it up to co-incidence.

Anyway,,keep up the good work.
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 30th Jul 2006 00:20
As my Mother used to say, it's like talking to the wall.

Crazy Grandpa
Netdemons
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2006 19:58

Well... eh.

...can I be a mod?

www.netdemons.co.uk - Creator of Recon : Crypt
Gamertag : Memory X2

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 04:00:21
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 04:00:21