Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / fpsc world size

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
i want to know why fpsc grid size is more like a city block and not a city.
can you build a whole city like gta or not
HandK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2006 04:32 Edited at: 29th Jul 2006 04:33
Is you built it really really small. Yes.

Ive not played GTA, but I assume that it either jitters a little bit as you approach a new area, or actualy stops and loads the next bit.

FPSC works more like the second, you build you city block, (or whatever), the when you leave that you procede on to load "Another" city block. This is a big noticable pause. You can in this situation say that the player has teleported back to Mars if you wanted, or you could imply that its the next zone of the same place.

Im not sure at all if you can go back to a level you have left, I think not, but never tried.

H&K
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: MAFIA 2
Posted: 29th Jul 2006 06:01
Then You have to make a game about a giant or something.. LOL!! No serious, You cant and everybody here thinks it sucks.. But they are tired to complain about it. Im not!!!

I want to see a FPSC Professional! And lets make it REALLY expensive this time......
Stamina
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2006 06:14 Edited at: 29th Jul 2006 06:15
Well,,lets see...there are 20 levels (vertical), and in just 1 of my levels there are 43 buildings, an entire outdoor megacity, an underground tunnel system and an entire level just for a 4 story 45 room hotel...I dont know about you, but I think there is plenty of room on just 1 screen for a very good level if you stop thinking narrowminded and build from the bottom up. Just takes a little imagination.

I mean, everyone will tell you that FPSC is created more for indoor gaming, not terrain or outdoor, so you gotta work within the limits of the game, but that doesnt have to limit the imagination.
Netdemons
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2006 10:57
Quote: "Well,,lets see...there are 20 levels (vertical), and in just 1 of my levels there are 43 buildings, an entire outdoor megacity, an underground tunnel system and an entire level just for a 4 story 45 room hotel...I dont know about you, but I think there is plenty of room on just 1 screen for a very good level if you stop thinking narrowminded and build from the bottom up. Just takes a little imagination.

I mean, everyone will tell you that FPSC is created more for indoor gaming, not terrain or outdoor, so you gotta work within the limits of the game, but that doesnt have to limit the imagination."

Sounds like that would be one hell of a multiplayer game, when it comes out you'll have to tell us!... or if its out now excuse my ignorance.

Maybe they will make it bigger in a future update. It's not too small though, with the right design you could make a great game.

I wonder if you could tell it to steam another map?

www.netdemons.co.uk - Creator of Recon : Crypt
Gamertag : Memory X2
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2006 15:57
Exactly what I am telling You... FPSC is an indoor engine, I mean if You build high buildings You can have as many rooms as You want. But I dont want 43 buildings that are build almost on eachother in My games! You shourld be able to have 43 buildings far from eatch. If You have a road in a city today, where does it end??? And do You Guys like to see the edge of the world, and even be able to fall down???
Common get real!!! There is NO WAY You can make a serious game without a bigger world....

I want to see a FPSC Professional! And lets make it REALLY expensive this time......
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 29th Jul 2006 16:09
The glass is half empty...the glass is half full.

Some people see hurdles while some see challenges. There is a lot you can do with FPSC, but if you continually focus on what you can't do, you won't do much.

Crazy Grandpa
HandK
Years of Service
User Offline
Mr Love. Go to relics site, and download mod tools for halflife 2, and go mod that.

H&K
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2006 18:13 Edited at: 29th Jul 2006 18:13
I have to say that I would not quite go as far as to say "There is NO WAY You can make a serious game without a bigger world" as Mr. Love suggests and there are far more serious FPSC issues to which such a claim for fame could be attached.

However I would agree with the thrust of the point that that Mr. Love makes and many have made over a long period of time that the FPSC world is small - very small and it without doubt it is - in terms of building outdoor type levels - which the engine is not by default designed to do - certainly not as it was eventually realesed with a reduced world size from that which was originally intended. The original intention or apparently was for a 100 x 100 x (?) tile world so apparently 40 x 40 x 20 tiles must have been not what was thought by TGC to be large enough.

The eventual world size was reduced for reasons we must presume of engine inefficiency of handling large worlds.

Those reasons are still valid and a larger world size currently would make maintaining reasonable fps almost impossible if you were to fill it up.

Given that improvements can be made to the engine then an enlarged world size might be possible and I am sure that TGC would consider it.

By any measure of modern game making standards the world size available for anyone contemplating making a game with outdoor levels is small and very limiting without question. Its one and only one reasoon why many potential game makers may not wish to contemplate using FPSC for their game making.

If FPSC is seen by TGC to best restricted to remain as an indoor quake style FPS engine then I doubt they will make any change to the world size, however I doubt that would be the case if they could establish that the engine could clearly handle a larger world size and they would I am sure welcome incorporating that.

Have some faith - TGC are well aware of all the issues and concerns of users and potential users and they will no doubt wish FPSC to appeal to as many different kinds of potential user as is possible. Commercial realities which govern the development of TGC products to a large part would support that as the more that are purchased the better TGC will like it.

If FPSC could support larger worlds or any of improvement I see no reason why TGC would withold such improvements which would be a boost to their products and generated revenues.

You may have to wait some time but hopefully you will see some substantial FPSC improvement.

Thas the way I see it anyway but I may be wrong.

"I am and forever will be your friend"
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2006 02:00
Well, ofcourse You CAN build a serious game. But then it MUST be an indoor game like Half Life1! It wourld be better if We courld choose ourself what kind of fps game We want to build.. I want to make indoor maps as well as outdoor maps.. And not only VERY compressed citys that dont look natural at all... We all know that FPSC can handle a bigger world, so there is no reason not to implement it in future versions...

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2006 03:11 Edited at: 30th Jul 2006 03:12
Mr Love,

I dont think we all accept that FPSC can handle a bigger world at all.

I doubt TGC do either and they are unlikely to give it to you unless and until it can be proven in practical application during development of any update.

If TGC cant access that a larger world size is practicable - then I dont think you got a cats chance of seeing a larger world size in the default product.

As it stands you got no chance.

Dont get me wrong - I'm with you on this one and with some other suggestions as supported and reqested by many and have been always so.

I have always been a supporter of larger world size and many other requested features and have always given my opinion as being that users should be freed from imposed restrictions and limits.

I believe that such choices should be left in the hands of the game designer wherever possible.

Having said that I do not believe that TGC are wholly of the same opinion in all matters and I can understand why. I have no intention of spelling that out in detail here though.

Suffice to say that if TGC can sensibly give users the features they ask for they will, however in some instances to realise or meet with some requests when the engine cannot supply adequate support for them leaves the user open to meeting with increased difficulties and problems and TGC open to some critisism.

I hope that improvements are made and that a larger world size may be eventually possible but at the moment I guess only TGC know if that might be possible and the rest of us have to wait and see.

My last post here too. Said my bit in this one.

Carry on regardless.

"I am and forever will be your friend"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 03:58:30
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 03:58:30