Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / what the hell is sprites

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
some one can plzzz finally tell me what is sprite ??????
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 06:18
imagine a graphic thats designed to be moved easily along the screen in 2d.

It can possess more than one image which is usually flipped along a linear list to produce and animation.

used to be called a bob or blitter object and some people claim they come from atari days but we well know blitter objects were part of the 50's and 60's pdp11's(large old computers)

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 07:17
And, also a sprite is a phenomenon occuring during lightning storms, in the upper atmosphere, and another name for a male pixie, but Indi's answer is the one you're looking for I believe

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
DangYankee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 20:20
In the Atari day's (trust me I was there) they were called player/missile graphics. Others called called them sprites. Basically the same concept. I used to program a lot on the Atari/128 believe me you guys got it good and easy. If ya didn't know hex and memory concepts forget it.
They evoled out of a need to do images that could do special operations on, like- collisions, animations,image control,etc... that would take up some pretty awesome calculations just to move an object against a background. Think of how many checks it would take to move that object and not destroy the background image, test for collisions, then tell what it hit and where it is.
So they are special images to make things easy for you, without all the fuss and muss. Without the degree in computer science.

Also what indi said

It's not the size of your code but how efficiently you use it!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 08:52:08
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 08:52:08