Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Tips and Hints for beginning game company's

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2006 19:03 Edited at: 1st Aug 2006 19:05
First,i'd like to tell i based this manual on people who want to SELL theyr games.most things count for people who want to keep it free too,exept for the part about the stores.

Now here are some websites:

Agora Cart:
http://www.agoracart.com/

Zen Cart:
http://www.zencart.com/

Try those online webstores.

for websites:
Janhost:
http://www.janhost.com

Freewebs:
http://www.freewebs.com

50 Megs:
http://www.50megs.com

90Megs:
http://www.90megs.com

BraveNet:
http://www.bravenet.com

If youve set up your store you can easily Advertise at forums,newsleters and websites about your game.

Id try to get as much custom workin the game as possible,not just FPS standard,models made for your game especialy would be the best.

also,release a demo with 2 or 3 levels of your game.Just to let the buying group get a taste of the game.

Id would also be usefull if you find more people around who have websites to sell something.if you find them and set up an affliate program your visitors might raise higher.

Also a nice presentation on your website about your game would be great,and for something else:

Good costumer support.not just some idiots who arent repliying,no good support.

If you got those points well,you might make it into selling games!

Hope this helps you beginning game makers.

B-DA FIRE!
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2006 19:37
Another thing about file saving on the web:

If your going for selling a game,dont use FileFront.

Get a website where you uploaded it too.myself i use the services of Galekus,but there should be more.Filefront keeps a list of stuff,if someone wants to download your game,he/she can press "Home" and he/she is at your page with all your downloads!

So id use a file host that has a 30 day limit on downloading from that link,its very usefull to prevent illegal link spreads of your game.

OR make a website with special acces.Only the site can link to the files,thats very usefull because outside direct file links become impossible.

Thank you for reading this second part.

B-DA FIRE!
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2006 21:41
Filefront sucks.

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2006 23:13
3D models,

This time im going to tell a help about the 3D part of your games.

As for 3D i'd not use the Stock media,no.if you want to make a game,and the story is wroten,make a list of models you expect to need.If you can model yourself,do it yourself.Else,find someone to help you.Not by moaning on the forums but asking nicely or ask a friend.

Also if you want to create a game,think of its genre,if you want sci-Fi you cant use Western stuff.And that counts for all Genre's.

Also if people ask who made the models and you hired someone,i'd advertise him so he might like you getting more costumers and well,he might word for free one time.

then,the design.if level design isnt good,the gameplay might be less good too.if i was you i'd make a handdrawn map on paper of the level and its entity's.when thats done show it to someone else to let him rate the map,it he thinks its good.use it.

This is the end of this help,Hopefully this help topic is usefull for new game makers.

B-DA FIRE!
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2006 23:25
Title Pages,

Title pages are what i think,one of the most inportant part of the games presentation.if people see a bad title page they inmediantly have a bad feeling about the game,so design them with care.

If you cant do very good designs,take a screenshot of the game and edit it in a picture editing program(NO MS PAINT).its easy to use different filters and lightnings on it.

for buttons i'd keep it in the same style as the background image.
However this cant be easy always...

also,keep the Genre in mind!

this was a short one but i dont got alot to tell about this...

oh well.

B-DA FIRE!
The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 02:05
So, um... Can I see a game you've made using this amazing process?

Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 04:17
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 05:48
The best tip to selling a game is in the first instance to make a good one.

If you want to have anything more than a dribble of buyers then it will have to be good.

If you have a great game made then you wont have much difficulty in finding buyers for it - they will be lined up ready to part with their hard earned cash.

Theres plenty of time to think about how you will get your game known and how you will go about selling it while you work away on developing your blockbuster.

Once you make it, then an all round professional presentation of the game together with some considerable effort in marketing it will provide the best opportunities for success.

Word gets around very quickly if theres something really good to be had and anyone whos interested in such products usually dont miss a great deal.

There are many articles, books, web sites including TGC sites and so on around regarding how to go about successfully making and selling games.

If you are serious about it - its advisable to study and take note of some of them and listen to others that have had considerable success.

Still the more helpful information the better.

Good luck to you all. I wish you much success in your game making endeavours.

"I am and forever will be your friend"
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 11:13
Quote: "So, um... Can I see a game you've made using this amazing process?"

im not realy working with FPSC anymore.im just there to help the community.

B-DA FIRE!
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2006 12:24
Same here I have moved away from FPSC at the moment, but will return to it soon. I have been working on models and what not for my other project and have been duplicating them (lower poly versions) for FPSC. I believe that FPSC has the ability to creat cult like games simply because the over all look is kinda old school with some new school features. There is always going to be a following of cult like games

(cult not the wierd religious people but a strong lemming like following)

RF

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2006 15:06

im just here to help,not to return.as for now im helping with someones online game project in DBP.

B-DA FIRE!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 05:36:49
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 05:36:49