Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Is there anyway to reduce the filesize of a selfmade game?

Insert witty signature here
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2006 23:52
There are various ways to soemwhat reduce your file size but it will still be pretty large.
One way to do it is to use FPS Pack.

Locster
Years of Service
User Offline
ah ok, i'll just have to live with that.
Thanks for your anwser

Insert witty signature here
Stamina
Years of Service
User Offline
Another way to do it is to not add an entity, then decide to take it out of the game. It will still put that file in your finished game. I believe you have to manually delete the files if your not using them from your mygames folder/name of game. If I am wrong, someone let me know,,thats what I was told.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2006 08:06
I have manually deleted files from a built game and I found out two things:
1. FPSC is finicky about what you can removeIf you manually remove files make sure you make a backup copy of the files first.Bad,bad things can happen if you don't.
2. While removing things like enitites may decrease the filesize slightly and can affect the speed of gameplay the effect that it has on the size of the files has been minimal.And FPSC is weird.In some cases it will only put the things you use in some places while placing every file in a folder in others whether it is used or not.
The way FPSC is at the moment means file sizes are going to be pretty big.While packing or compressing the game may help in storage or movement of a game it might not make much of a difference when the game is unpacked/uncompressed.
I use FPS Pack and while I do notice a considerable change in the size of games at times at others I notice little to none.
When TGC releases an update for FPSC I hope they address the issue of large filesizes as I am sure we all do.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 05:33:57
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 05:33:57