Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / [LOCKED] A few texture probs in modelpack 2

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: MAFIA 2
Posted: 5th Aug 2006 20:29
I payed 20 €uro to buy modelpack 2. I must first say it was worth it by far, becouse of the big size of the pack.. But quite many models had a problem with the texture-quality..(Jitter.) I must ask Mr Bond1 what on earth did He got the refrigirator texture from? It must have been the worst quality of a texture I have ever seen! So what do I do? I guess that TGC think something like this.. If Mr Love Isnt happy with some of the models He better fix it Himself. And thats exactly what I am doing right now, but it wourld have been better if it looked good from the beginning, so I courld spend My time doing more important things. I want to give credit to Bond1 for the models Dumpster, Postbox, Newspaperbox, Toilets.. I know that Bond1 is a fantastic Graphics artist, and I dont want Him to spoil a good carieer by not looking at the small details. By the way I courldnt save the refrigerator, so I made a new "clean" UV map instead. Later on I did some mesh changes as well.. Ofcourse this model is still Bond1s, but as I said I did the mod. The fixes I did was first: Door and side fits better together, painted the door and removed the jitter.. Not mutch left of Bond1s refrigirator I must admit.. It didnt became as good as I wanted, but You can use it in a game at least..
Heres a picture of it, feel free to give constructive criticts..
Please Bond1 promise You wont use bad textures again? (I have enough job as it is....)

I want to see a FPSC Professional! And lets make it REALLY expensive this time......
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 5th Aug 2006 21:01 Edited at: 5th Aug 2006 21:05
Mr Love,

If you are expecting positive reviews here I don't think you will see many. At times your poor attitude, lack of respect and feeling of superiority are sickening. However, just to make it seem like I am not really putting you down but only stating the facts (as you did to Bond1 above) I will add the following clarifier:

This is just my opinion.

EDIT:

Normally I would e-mail something like this to you, but since you chose to repeatedly bring this up in public (what's wrong, you didn't get a good enough response the first time you complained here?) I thought I would show you the same respect.

Crazy Grandpa
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2006 21:21 Edited at: 5th Aug 2006 21:44
I debated whether or not to even reply to this, so I will reply once, and that will be the end of it.

Mr. Love, I don't claim my models are perfect in every way. But just because YOU don't like something, doesn't mean that it is flawed.

I released my models as they are because I was satisfied with them. You want me to promise not to use "bad" textures again? Sorry, that isn't going to happen. I will release the models when I am satisfied with them. And everyone here can decide for themselves if they wish to buy them. They are what they are for better or for worse, and I almost always post pictures of my work beforehand for constructive criticism.

For the record, I like my original better. It has more character, more natural wear and tear. If you want to post alternative textures than that is your business, but I think its unfair for you to claim that the $20 model pack you purchased is somehow "broken".

Mr. Love's new texture on the left, my original on the right:

----------------------------------------
"Your mom went to college."
My FPSC stuff at http://hyrumark.zftp.com/FPSC/hyrumarkfpsc.htm
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2006 21:25
To give true and hounest critics is to care...

I want to see a FPSC Professional! And lets make it REALLY expensive this time......
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2006 21:50
i dont see anything bad on Bond's texture...

Actualy,it looks a bit more realistic.

a bit dirty because its there for a while already.

So what is wrong with it?

B-DA FIRE!
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 5th Aug 2006 21:56
I must admit that this is the first time I have seen the model in question, and I agree with you Bond1. Your texture looks like a slightly used refrigerator. I was expecting something horrid. However, if you are going for the brand-new showroom look in your games, you may want to opt for Mr Loves texture.

It's just that to do something as simple as change a model texture, and then to make so much ado about it just for some attention is, well you decide. This time I won't even give my opinion.

One could easily have re-textured one of Bond1's models and posted it as an alternate texture, giving Bond1 his due credit and respect, and everyone would have given thanks to that person for his effort. It's all in the way you say something, I guess.

Crazy Grandpa
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2006 22:01
Its good that You send a photo of Your stuff, but when the picture are taken so far away it dosnt give a true picture when the object are in the game. Exampel: when You put Your object beside My Mod it looks like the quality is the same, but if You take a clooser look its a huge difference. Everybody can do theese changes easy in Photoshop and that will make the objects look good, even if You are VERY cloose to the object. I hope You one day will understand that I didnt wrote this to mess with You.. There is no modelling contest between us, becouse You wourld win. Maybe not the texture competition though All textures has to be so sharp that they still looks good even when You are very cloose to them, this is standard today.. If You just think about this from now on it wont take long until You have a job at Sierra...

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "It's all in the way you say something, I guess."

Hehe, that is true. At the time I made these models I was heavily playing Half Life 2, and I was going for the distressed look that was prevalent in that game. I could totally see this in one of the abandoned apartment rooms in the opening level of that game. Oh well.

Hopefully a mod will lock this soon, it doesn't serve any purpose. An alternative texture wasn't even posted for download.

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "All textures has to be so sharp that they still looks good even when You are very cloose to them"

No that is not entirely true. The texture size has to match the intended viewing distance, using a 1024 texture on something that will only be seen from a distance is not the standard today at all.

For a "stock" model pack like this you have take a more general approach. Everything has a 512x512 texture, that is a nice middle ground. This looks decent from far to medium range, but yes up cose there will be some pixelation. In my opinion it would be a waste to use anything larger for a refrigerator. But like you've done, you can easily alter the texture to suit your own needs.

And I thank you for the compliments, I think we should let the thread die now.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2006 22:40
I like the models and have ingame screenshots of some of them if you would like to see them.
Bond did a top-notch job on the model pack and if someone isn't happy with it they can always retexture a model.
If someone wants to do that and Bond is cool with it tht's okay but don't retexture the model and then claim it is better than the original.
That is a matter of opinion.
So you paid 20 euros or whatever that is in dollars?
You got a lot of bang for your buck.
Go anywhere outside of the TGC forums and you won't get that kind of deal.
Elsewhere you would pay a lot more for the same pack...possibly even for one of the models.
This is at least the third thread (two have been started and one got hijacked that you have been critical of Bond's work.
Attacking someone's work is not permitted here without a real good reason.
Since you wish to carry on with a dialog with bond about his Model pack(s) please use the e-mail button you will find below his posts.
So far I have not heard or read about one complaint from the model pack other than the ones you have posted.
BTW did you ask Bond before you posted any anything from his material?I doubt it.
Stop this nonsense.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 05:44:58
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 05:44:58