Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Manuel

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2006 18:02 Edited at: 7th Aug 2006 18:04
Hi all.

Whilst I'm taking a break from Realms Of Tutopia I've started work on a new game; Manuel.

Manuel is basically a platformer in the Prince Of Persia vein. There will also be simple combat with melee, magic and hopefully ranged weapons available. The combat will be real-time and in melee mode several combos will be avilable. There will be fairly frequent mini-games to break up the game and offer more variety.

So far I have near enough completed the engine for the platform sections (the video shows this). I have also started work on media for the actual game (the level in the vid was just a test). The game starts off in a lab so that is what I have started work on. These screens just show the starts of texture work. I am hoping to be able to aplly lots of effects as I have come up with a plan to keep the frame rate up on large levels.

http://img408.imageshack.us/my.php?image=visualstylemanuel1yx9.png
http://img443.imageshack.us/my.php?

Video:
[href]http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n304/andrewneale2004/?action=view¤t=manuel.flv[/href]

That is all for now. Please watch the vid and any comments and crits are welcome. I won't give away the story yet. However, once it is done I will release the opening cutscene to give you some idea. There will be a demo of some description fairly soon.

[url]andrewneale2004@yahoo.com[/url]
http://www.elbsoftware.dbspot.com
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2006 19:44
i like POP.

hopefully this will be alot like it

WHAT DO YOU WANT?
Elite Gaming
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2006 20:41
The video looks really good, although it does look like its got a pretty bad FPS, unless its been slowed down.

It looks like Rayman meets Prince of Persia! Does it use Dark Physics/Newton?
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2006 21:15
Looks nice.

+
Cool moves, just like all three POP
Clinging to ledges.. I really don't understand how you and zzz do that!e world would you code that?

-
Thats really unrealistic. Look at POP, and watch as the Prince runs across the wall. His feet move very very fast, wich makes sense. You can't run across a wall while moving your feet normal paced. Tune up the animations!

The jumping from wall to wall is rediculous. He dd a misty flip and what not. Stick to simple jumping

Applyby has Flies in his Eyes.
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2006 21:47
Quote: "Thats really unrealistic. Look at POP, and watch as the Prince runs across the wall. His feet move very very fast, wich makes sense. You can't run across a wall while moving your feet normal paced. Tune up the animations!

The jumping from wall to wall is rediculous. He dd a misty flip and what not. Stick to simple jumping "

Thats true.

and for the wall to wall jumping.i'd like to say:
Use a more realistic jump like POP.

And sometimes in the video it looks like its animated to be gay with his jumps and slow grabs of ledges...

WHAT DO YOU WANT?
Oddmind
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2006 22:43
psh hell no dont stick to simple jumping, thats not interesting. If all you need is to speed up your animations why would you throw out a perfectly good jumping sequence code?

Realism isnt something thats very present in POP either. Who can actually run on walls for that duration of time? no one...

Keep the jumping, but optimize.

formerly KrazyJimmy

Prayers for rain...
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2006 23:43
Oddmind,

How would you know that for sure? Its quite simple if your fast enough.

And tell me one thing, all because its not completely real, doesn't mean you should make it completely dope! You should make everything as real as possible, not as real as probable.

treborguy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2006 02:35
if the action is fluid then is doesnt matter how many flips there are, or how ridiculous the gravity is, i mean, its a platformer, look at crash bandicoot frontflipping all over the place, and jak and croc stopping in mid air and powerslamming to the ground.

ridiculous bouncy actions are much better, though i would agree the whole thing needs to be sped up, and the actions are a little stiff.

but on the whole, nice programming, it's looking good.

Brains are for idiots.
Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2006 02:47 Edited at: 8th Aug 2006 02:48
Great work Andrew.

Xenocythe, do me a favor and lose the 'tude.

common people are walking in line.
Zedane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2006 02:49
well enough people have complained about the speed already, i think we should talk about something else. Dunno if anyone bothered to look, but that lab looks like a completly different visual style that that video. I really like it! And you engine seems to be very good, i must agree that the animations are pretty slow but other than that you have a great framework built!

around here.. normal's just a setting on a hair dryer
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2006 03:50
Eh, sorry, got carried away with constructive crit

Awesome stuff Andrew. But please, PLEASE tell me how you did clinging to ledges!

Oddmind
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2006 03:54
I agree that it needs some optimization, but just because there is a small problem with it doesnt mean he should scrap the whole thing.

What if every time someone came to a doctor with a cut or scrape he said "no sorry, were going to have to kill you"...

throwing away that aspect would be stupid.

formerly KrazyJimmy

Prayers for rain...
treborguy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2006 13:39
lol, no-one said anything about scrapping it. as far as db platformers go, this is one of the best ive seen.

Brains are for idiots.
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2006 17:14
Thanks all. The frame rate is fine at over 100 it was just Fraps killing it. I can easily speed up the animations so if that is the main complaint then no probs. The animations are meant to be crazy; it's cartoony! The lab in the pictures I have a played my own shader on which makes it nice and shiny and a different amount of shininess depending on the texture at each point. Looks pretty cool.

@Xenocythe - It isn't that hard at all. Basically I do an intersect object straight in front of the player and at head height and one above that. If the first hits and the second doesn't then there must be a ledge to grab. Hopefully you can get it from that but if not let me know and I will write you some code.

@EliteGaming - Nope. Just plain old DBP.

By the way, this is using my own animation system which is how, if you notice, the animation blend from one to the next rather than jumping. I am also planning on ragdoll deaths as I know each limbs velocity and position from the animation system.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2006 17:37 Edited at: 8th Aug 2006 17:40
Hey, that video was great. It demonstrated a plat former game that will be a lot of fun.

I can see what everyone is saying about the framerate. I know that Fraps is a killer when it comes to presentation. Everything looks like it's running at half speed, not just the animations, but jumping and gravity and movement. It appears that the game is not timer based. If you made it properly timer based, then it would compensate for the dropped frames. That, my friend, would solve all of your problems. Don't speed up the animations, just fix the speed to a constant value.

Here's what I do...

I also use the same method for regulated the animations. Basically, you define the units per second a unit the move and the animation frames per second a model can animate, and no matter the elapsed time the model will move or animate the amount that it should.

Like I said, it looked fun. I really like the ability to run and jump on the walls. That really gives the game a dynamic 3D feeling, and really adds to the playability of the game. This will be a great Dark Basic game when it's finished.

Oh! One more thing. Lightmap That will make it amazing.

Come see the WIP!
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2006 21:28 Edited at: 8th Aug 2006 21:30
@Cash Curtis II - Thanks. It is timer based. I took out the timer thing though for the vid as it slowed down so much that the player moved too many units and the collision couldn't work. As long as it stays above 20fps it is fine and it has never gone below 100 normally but Fraps managed it! Yeah lightmapping is good but it means double the polys. Still, as I said, if my plan works then I will have the frame rate to sacrifice for better graphics.

[Edit]What the hell happened to the links in the first post? Grr![/Edit]

Zedane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2006 03:41
andrew neale:
How did you do the collision in your game? As far as i understand, most collision plugins dont update their collision objects when your object animates. How does your game handle the collision of your charecter into walls and stuff? Is it something to do with your animation system, and is that done in DBP? Well sorry for so many questions, but colllision systems have allways annoyed me, and i just wanted to see how other people are dealing with it.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2006 04:26
Andrew,

Yeah, I think I got it.. so the intersect and the floor with the bar... nah I don't got it

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2006 07:55
@Zedane - It is my own sliding collision function using the intersect object command. I'm not using any plugins at all. The collision isn't polygon perfect on the player and his animation frame doesn't change the collision at all. Everything, as I said, is purely made in DBP.

@Xenocythe - Dont' worry. Give me a bit of time and I'll make you an example.

Zedane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2006 14:29 Edited at: 9th Aug 2006 14:29
So basically then your sending out like a ten-twenty intersect objects to get your collision?

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2006 15:01
A what-what? I use a for/next loop to loop through angles from 0 to 360 on both the y and x axis. I then can set the degree of accuracy which is basically how many intervals; eg. 8 x 45 degrees. It then does the intersect object from the players position in all those directions then moves the player accordingly. It is basically as if the player were a spheroid.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2006 18:23
I tried adding the lightmapping but when I use my 'shiny' shader there is z clipping problems between the normal object and the lightmap object. When I turn off the shader it is fine though so I guess I'll have to chose between the two.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2006 18:32
You should use Sparky's DLL. It is so much faster than the native collision commands. With that many raycasts, I think you would get an instant and noticeable speed increase.

So you're using DBC for this game? I ask that because of the lightmap approach you're using. Too bad, because DBP supports real lightmapping. If I had to double the polygons, I wouldn't lightmap either. Doesn't matter though, it all looks great

Come see the WIP!
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2006 18:35
Thats a very good engine mate, me like me like.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2006 13:57 Edited at: 10th Aug 2006 13:57
It looks good, but I agree that you should use sparky´s for your collision.

Wall jumps=

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2006 21:18
@Cash Curtis II - I'm using DBP. I just don't have a tool that will lightmap the original object. I only have Quill3D which creates a duplicate object but changes the uv data so the texture won't fit properly on the original. I will look into Sparky's dll though and I will probably lightmap anyway.

@Musashi - Thanks. I am rather proud of it! Lol!

@zzz - Yeah I'll check it out. Any compliments from you and Cash Curtis II mean a lot as you both have such amazing projects yourselves.

@Xenocythe - Here is some code to show you how I do ledge grabbing. Well near enough. I spent a while neatening stuff on the actual thing but it should help.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2006 11:58
Made the main menu, for now. IT may be bettered later but it works fine. Now I am going to make the opening screen cut then on with the game! I'll have a demo once the first (tutorial) level is done.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 18:29
I do have a suggestion- make the cutscenes as amazing as POP

Then you'll be rolling in it!

Oh, by the way, you can make some music for my game if you have the time (as you offered in my game's thread)... If you want to know the type of music, I was looking for epic/orchestra/combat music or something

Hope I'm not going to hard on you

Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool, this looks pretty good, like a cross between Prince Of Persia and Rayman; some decent animation and great coding, nice.

Visit http://www.natsam.co.uk to find out about my games.
[href][/href]
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2006 18:00
BTW,the name of this game reminds me of the Chef of our pizzaria.

e-Drome Productions website,we renewed one with 1GB of webspace and Paypal!w00t!

e-Drome website
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2006 17:31
@Xenocythe - Hadn't thought of that! Lol! I'll try but I very much doubt I'l make it. Was the code helpful? I'll have a go at the music but I am mostly a guitarist so don't expect too much and if it isn't good enough then just say so I won't be offended.

@Natflash Games - Thanks. That is exactly the blend I was going for!

@Accel Leon - Lol! I'm not really sure why I called him that. He was originally going to be a Spanish gem thief but I didn't like the idea of playing the bad guy. However, I am planning at one point in the game a choice for the player to be good or evil and then receiving different quests from then on depending on their choice so theft may yet be included.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2006 18:05
That code was wonderful, thank you andrew

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 16:39
@Xenocythe - Great stuff! No probs. I enjoy helping people more than making my own projects!

I've nearly finished the opening cut scene. May well finish it today so I can start the tutorial level tomorrow. I'm hoping to have got at least that far in time for the DB convention so I can show people it there and let them have a go.

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 16:44
Quote: "However, I am planning at one point in the game a choice for the player to be good or evil and then receiving different quests from then on depending on their choice so theft may yet be included.
"

cool.

e-Drome Productions website,we renewed one with 1GB of webspace and Paypal!w00t!

e-Drome website
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 17:04
Yeah, Fable had an effect on me!

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 17:07
i already thought so

i played fable:The lost chapters for a while a few months back

e-Drome website
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 17:12
Yeah. A friend lent it to me and I have played it all the way through about 5 times and completed absolutely everything there. I even went to the trouble of earning loads of money and then killing everyone in the game so that I could buy every building!

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 17:18
Quote: "I even went to the trouble of earning loads of money and then killing everyone in the game so that I could buy every building!"

The badside rules!

e-Drome website
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 17:27
It is definately more fun. I played the game as completely good warrior and mage and completely evil warrior and mage and then evil archer.

Well talking about Fable has almost got me to page 2! Lol! So have a screen from the cutscene to show something relevant. (The black box is where the speech is shown.)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 17:29
Quote: "Well talking about Fable has almost got me to page 2! Lol"

back on topic indeed

Quote: "So have a screen from the cutscene to show something relevant. (The black box is where the speech is shown.)
"

the characters look like they are based on RayMan

e-Drome website
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 17:59
Andrew,

If you'll be making music for me, I'm going to contribute to you.

Behold :

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 18:01
Quote: "If you'll be making music for me, I'm going to contribute to you.
"

By bringing me on to two pages? Thanks! Nice models! Have you received the e-mail then?

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 18:09
Nope

rpgmakerx2@hotmail.com

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 21:07
Hey, mind if I give those monsters to the community as well? I don't know if you'll still use them though...
P.S. I still didn't get an e-mail

The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 21:43
Quote: "mind if I give those monsters to the community as well?"

thats nobody's choice but yours. you made them

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 22:10
Yeah, but I primarily did give them to him. So I want to know if he would still use them if other people were using them as well. If not, then I'll only give em to you.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 16:28
No, thats fine. I'm all for free stuff for the community. Still no e-mail? Damn it! I definately used the address you gave me. I'll try and find somewhere to host it then.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2006 12:58
Work has been slow due to me being lazy in the days around my birthday but getting back to it now. Opening cutscen done and first level started.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2006 13:02 Edited at: 26th Aug 2006 13:03

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2006 13:06
Yay! Thankyou!