Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Entity Limit! Help

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2006 21:19
Ok, as you may know from my showcase post, I've been working alot with decal lighting.

But I'm having an issue. There appears to be a limit to the number of decals you can have in 1 level.

This is a major problem...if you go over this limit, ALL decals cease to work (incluing enemy muzzle flash, material damage and blood)

so what I'm asking is, has anyone else experienced this problem? and is there a work around?

on the other hand, if someone can write me a working script, that makes a decal activate when the player is in a zone, and de-activate when he leaves, that would probably sort the problem.

anyway, if anyonew could help that'd be lovely!

peace
butters

"It's often better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're an idiot, than to open it and confirm their suspisions" - Noel Coward
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2006 23:33
ack! this may be a problem for me too in the future; How mant decals have you used in one level so far?

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2006 23:36 Edited at: 7th Aug 2006 23:38
Butter fingers,

Never yet heard of a decal limit as such - certainly there are both AI script and map object limits. They both cause a game or level to fail to run and return fatal errors though in dufferent ways

The only option in these instances is to remove something to reduce below the limits.

If there is indeed a decal limit then this needs someone to fully confirm this and it needs to be reported in the bug forum or otherwise it is never going to get fixed - hopefully in time for any update.

I have not had that problem of a decal limit as such - I have had decals fail to work though - through erratic FPSC behaviours and eventually got them fixed by recreating decals and saving out the image files and redoing the scripts until I got them to work correctly. I had in my instances to repeatedly delete the .bin and .dbo files many times while doing this in an attempt to get FPSC to recognise the new versions of the decals.

Decals as with any other entity may fail to work correctly and behave erratically and stop animating or working (responding) if a level becomes over complex.

FPSC can get itself in a tiswas sometimes and in its confusion get locked in a spiral of continual misbehaviour of entities as it can get stuck in that state - when it apparently fails to update a level map file. Sometimes deleting any associated temp files - rebooting and and so on can get it to reset itself.

I have had many such problems in the past and have had to get nasty with FPSC to crack some issues of that kind - gone those days are thank goodness.

I am not sure that decals can be deactivated at all - much of how they work is written into and controlled exclusively inside the source without any user control - which is why we have such difficulty in obtaining any over them.

As being an important question - How many decals total do you have?

Not sure that it matters but do you know how many entities of differing kinds you have and how many entities total you have? I have nearing 600 entities in a single level - that does not exceed any kind of limit yet. The map object limit seems to relate to segments and not entities - where you have to watch the script limit instead.

Whats the total number of AI entity scripts in the combined scripts folders inside FPSC? 200 is the max so anyone that has more than that is going to come to a stop. That will include all scripts whether default ones - those you may have created yourself or any that have been installed from purchased or free content packs. 200 max is your lot.

It sounds to me like as if FPSC has just gone a bit haywire with you thats all - thats all! LOL!

Thats all I can suggest not having come across a specific decal limit - have a think and look see if any of the other things I mentioned could cause your probs.

Hope you get it sorted soon

"I am and forever will be your friend"
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2006 00:46
thanks uman, I can fully assure you it's a bug. It maxes out around 150 decals. But only if the number of decals initially in the level exceeds 150.

i tried a level with only decals. and that's what I gleaned. When I stripped down the light decals a bit, the dissapearing ones re-appeared.

"It's often better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're an idiot, than to open it and confirm their suspisions" - Noel Coward
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2006 01:08
Butter fingers,

If you think its a bug which I dont dispute then would you report it in the Bug forum please giving some information and if possible attaching an fpm if thats possible.

I am sure Lee will know what the cause would be if he gets around to looking at it. Of course we have no way of nowing if he would before any update of FPSC or if it would therefore get a fix.

Any update may fix it anyway who knows - not me.

Cheers

"I am and forever will be your friend"
Red Raven Media
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2006 03:14
If you know how to make Decals you could try to make a decal that was like fire for example but make it all one big fire instead of multible.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 05:39:21
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 05:39:21