Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / How deep does the rabbit hole go?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Is this here DarkBASIC/Pro actually any good?

I checked out a few of the demos, most were totally useless but there were a few that were 'quite' cute but on the whole i was not impressed.

How far can this set of tools be pushed? I mean really pushed, because i'd prefer to have quality over the quantity. I may be able to develop my games faster but will they look as clean and will they play as smooth?
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2002 01:08
The tools go as far as you can...
DarkBasic 1.13 Enhanced & DBpro technically arn't that greatly different. Whatever you can do in one you can do in the other - provided you have the coding skill.

you have to try to keep in mind these tools have been developed to offer quick simple solutions to new users but also have been given increasingly more deeper access and controls to allow for the greatest flexibility.
as both now are capable of using C/C++ plugin DLLs which can contain any manner of things ... then your potential within the language is as limitless as C itself.

As most members even after several years of use are still a little in the dark about the full potential of DarkBasic, let alone the new core coding DLLs possible within DBpro - then i think its more upto your own skill.

the only gripe i really have with DB (and this maybe DBpro as well) and thats that you can only have a single render window without using multiple programs, as most people work on games this isn't really an issue - however for certain applications window development would be nice

Holy jumping mother of god NOOOO!!!...
Ahem I mean, I'll think about it
Crossleo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2002 06:25
mmmh i think this post doesn't belong on the 3d modelling forum but anyway...

I did push Darkbasic v 1.13 to do animated texturing which by the way it was not meant to
do that but i forced DB to do it and at great FPS, animated texturing is something
that's supposed to be done on DB pro and i did it on DB 1.13 without the enhancement pack.

so yes i live up to my quote at the real game tools forum "I overpower Dark basic"

so if you can do that on 1.13 now imagine what you can do on db pro (god i wish i had the cash!)

Crossleo
-------------------------------------
Admin of the Cross entertainment team
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2002 06:39
hehee ... alot of the users pushed DB 1.08 beyond the limits it had, i mean take a look at kevin's Portal Demo -he made the first versions of that in DB 1.08, still compatible and its become alot faster!

alot of people ask what can be achieve in a language, and to be honest the only thing that really gives them barriers are the coders abilities - Leos right thou, doesn't belong here

Holy jumping mother of god NOOOO!!!...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 18:21:14
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 18:21:14