Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / RUNTIME ERROR: Trying to collide two pmap-less, nonconvex....

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
"Trying to collide two pmap-less, nonconvex, nonheightfield meshes: this is no longer supported"

HUH??? I am using collision between a rigid body static terrain and rigid body dynamic mesh

Whats wrong?
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2006 10:28
Mesh to mesh collision is not supported. However, you can do things like dynamic mesh to boxes / spheres etc.

When using rigid bodies always try and go for the most simplistic representation. Use boxes, spheres or capsules for dynamic objects where possible. If these aren't suitable then look into using the convex shape. One option here is to create a convex mesh that is a good fit for your object and mirror your object to this.
pdq
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2006 16:45 Edited at: 10th Aug 2006 16:51
Quote: "Use boxes, spheres or capsules for dynamic objects where possible."

But as of right now, you can only use one rigid body to represent a complex object. I quess it goes back to another thread, and that the real solution is to represent a complex object with multiple simple rigid bodies(box, sphere...)

I really hope this gets put back into DP soon.
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2006 18:49
Like Mike says you can wrap your meshes up in a convex mesh which creates a pretty accurate representation of your object, and mesh collisions are pretty expensive.

What I do is create my level as a mesh collision then any complex shapes that need to be dynamic I wrap them up with a convex mesh, or if the mesh is box-ish wrap it up in a dynamic box or if its spherical in shape.. well you get the picture.

I know the voices aren't real, but they have good ideas!
MatriX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2006 07:19
I was also told about the convex mesh but I'm having difficulty grasping the concept. What is a convex mesh?

Thank you TGC for creating such amazing products!

Success does not come with meeting the minimum requirements.
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2006 12:07
I'm by no means an expert on this but this is my interpretation...

When you wrap a mesh up in a convex mesh its kind of like wrapping a model up in gift wrapping, so every detail is not going to be copied but the general shape is going to replicated. Also you have to remember that its a convex mesh meaning that it will not have any...errr.. concave bits, you know like craters, recesses etc.

I have attached a piccy, to show you how one might be created around a model (the red is the convex mesh)

I know the voices aren't real, but they have good ideas!
jenkmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
Any chance mesh to mesh collision can be supported? My first use of darkphysics would be much more enjoyable if a terrain and a mesh could have collision detection...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 02:19:49
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 02:19:49