Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Intro to Visual Studio C++ Express

Author
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 01:07 Edited at: 14th Aug 2006 01:08
As the first forays into the world of C++ can be daunting, we have prepared a helpful guide to the steps you need to take in order to set up the GDK on a new computer. This guide assumes you own the GDK, and you have an internet connection and CD writer to download and store the various softwares you will need.

GET THE FILES
-------------
1. Buy and download GDK - 33mb - freeware edition - www.thegamecreators.com
2. DirectX SDK - 440mb - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1FD20DF1-DEC6-47D0-8BEF-10E266DFDAB8&displaylang=en
3. Free Download Visual Studio C++ Express Edition - 463mb - http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/support/install/#manual
4. Free Download Platform SDK - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=E15438AC-60BE-41BD-AA14-7F1E0F19CA0D&displaylang=en
5. Free Download IMG to CD borning software - http://www.freewarebox.com/free_6058_imgburn-download.html

INSTALL THE FILES
-----------------
1. Use the IMG to CD writer to make CDs from IMG files download
2. Install Visual Studio C++ Express (IMG to CD)
3. Install Platform SDK (IMG to CD)
4. Install DirectX SDK (June 2006)
5. Install DarkGDK

CONFIGURE YOUR DEVELOPMENT SUITE
--------------------------------
1. Configure for WIN32 development - http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/usingpsdk/
2. Configure for DirectX 9.0 SDK development - assign the INCLUDE and LIB folders to Directx SDK
3. Configure for GDK development - DarkGDK documentation 'getting started'
4. Open one of the GDK samples, press F5 to compile and run your program

ADDITIONAL CONFIGURATION IN VERSION 1.6.2
-----------------------------------------
1. Open the script.rc file of the project in notepad, and delete the AFXRES.H code
2. Open the project properties, go to Library, add 'ATLS.LIB; D3DX8.LIB' to 'Ignore Specific Libraries'

NOTES
-----
** Make sure that the DirectX SDK LIB folder points to the x86 directory (for 32-bit compiling)
** Make sure that the GDK LIB folder points to the VS8 directory (for Visual Studio 8 compiling)

Please let me kow if this was helpful, and if anything is missed out. A version of this documentation will appear in the next release of the GDK.

"Small, smart, and running around the legs of dinosaurs to find enough food to survive, bedroom programmers aren't extinct after all "
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 01:56
This is a fantastic guide!

Finally the DGDK is available to use without having to pay lots of money for visual studio .

It works great in express edition, but it is quite tricky and annoying to set up. This guide makes it nice and simple

Have a on me.

WE SHALL BECOME ALL POWERFUL! CRUSH THE LESSER RACES! CONQUER THE GALAXY! UNIMAGINABLE POWER! UNLIMITED RICE PUDDING ! ! ! ETC. ! ! ! ETC.! ! !
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2006 16:25
Ooft, that's a lot of MBs (well, for my computer anyway)... damn

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2006 17:45
If you like, I could put the compiler & DX 9 SDK into a CD for you. I cant do the PSDK as its a web-based download.

Come to the last Unofficial DBPro Convention (http://convention.logicstudios.net/)
Supplying "NO" since 1974...
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Sooooo, Lee... any estimate on when the next cut of DGDK is going to be released? It would be cool to start experimenting with U6.2 stuff under C++...

I have vague plans for World Domination
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2006 00:59
Its quite usable at the moment (see my Duel WIP Post). However, I would like to see ghosting fixed - that is something I do need.

Come to the last Unofficial DBPro Convention (http://convention.logicstudios.net/)
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2006 02:13 Edited at: 17th Aug 2006 02:14
I'm sure it is, I'll be picking it up again in the next couple of days, but I'd still like to experiment with some of the new stuff, like the hardware shadows mode.

BTW, the Duel screenshot looks really good! Unfortunately, the game goes apesh*t on my machine. When I launch it, it seems to be going like the clappers, I see the sky going from dark to blue each second, I see some coloured boxes flash in and out of the screen and then, 5 seconds later (if that) I'm dumped to my desktop (I'm killed?).

I'm running a Core 2 Duo clocked @ 2,7Ghz w/ an nVidia 7900GT and 2Gb memory. I've got DirectX august 2006 installed and all the gdk samples seem to compile/work well.

[edit: what's with all the slashes before my quotes?]
[edit2: the slashes went away after I edited it for the first time]

APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2006 02:19
DGDK.NET uses it

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2006 10:27
Sounds like the timing system cant deal with two processors. Could you disable one and try again ?

Ashy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "1. Open the script.rc file of the project in notepad, and delete the AFXRES.H code"

script.rc? So it would be myprojectname.rc in my project folder? Because I don't seem to have any .rc files..
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Sounds like the timing system cant deal with two processors. Could you disable one and try again ?"

Not sure how to do this. The only thing I do know how to do is set the affinity on a process that is running to only use one CPU. Unfortunately, the game bombs out to windows so fast I can't make changes on the tastmanager in time...

Kaiyodo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2006 00:57 Edited at: 18th Aug 2006 00:57
You can edit your boot.ini (hidden system file in c:\) and add /ONECPU to the end of the Windows commandline after '/fastdetect' to disable one of your cores. You can also try adding '/usepmtimer' which leaves both cores functioning but fixes the timing issues in a lot of cases.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2006 01:45 Edited at: 18th Aug 2006 12:50
Unfortunately, its something I cant test - I wont be going mult-core until next year, when Vista comes out...

I do suggest you look at the preview though - once your computer has been down-graded

Briere
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 05:31
Hmm I am having problems.

Kaiyodo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 17:02
You need to set your subsystem to Windows (/SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS) in your linker->system settings. The linker defaults to looking for main() rather than WinMain() without the subsystem set.
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2006 02:34 Edited at: 21st Aug 2006 02:41
I'm getting the same error although my linked subsystem is set to windows.

It was all ok until I tried to add a windows form. It warned me it had to enable support to CLR and I said ok. Then the whole thing just went mad, I have since deleted the "helper" form from the project, tried to put everything back (clr is disabled etc) but it seems to have totally screwed up my project. I get tons more "duplicate definitions" and also this linker error.

Beware guys, never try to add a Windows Form in VS2005 - it will enable the common runtime and screw up your projects!

[edit: Found out what it was - that nincompoop IDE changed my Runtime Library to DLL after adding the form (!). Changing it back to simple MT fixed it]

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2006 06:22
A new version of the GDK will be released soon which removes the dependence on D3DX8.LIB, and solves the ATL dependence of the sample projects for VS2005 Express

"Small, smart, and running around the legs of dinosaurs to find enough food to survive, bedroom programmers aren't extinct after all "
Delete me please
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2006 10:38
Very helpful Lee

Sticky please

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-17 08:15:42
Your offset time is: 2024-06-17 08:15:42